U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM

118 posts, read 84,902 times

Advertisements

but hopefully it stands out a little more as my story isn't like a lot of peoples..

Ok my case, I am moving from New Hampshire.. I consider myself bisexual, alternative minded, I like indie movies, taking long walks, open to meeting new people all the time especially if they're not riff raff and they're nice, ready to be real friends. Thats how I roll. I am a 38 yr old single male, clean, quiet, no pets, don't like drama. Taller than average, slight Aspergers. Will be living with mom and stepdad, out around the Newberg area I believe. Its looking like Newberg so not too far and seems like a nice town. Any info on that?

I am not brand new to Portland, I moved there for 3 months or a little more back in 2012. I left, had to learn some things in that 6 years. Now revisiting the situation, I learned Portland can be a great fit.

Know what got me to see this realization? Some of it has to do with money but some of it also has to do with the lack of terrible winter factor as far as snow goes. Socially also I can accomplish more over the long run. Looking back in hindsight, I feel I gave up on Portland too soon. I was still in a newer vibed western city that a lot of the east coast cities do not have even if some things were going wrong.

My stepdad hates the northeast especially where my mom moved to in Cape Cod and frankly so do I. Its a lousy long term place to live with less prospects than Portland, for all the bad economy talk people want to say about Portland.. its everywhere in some form. OR some places will have a lot of job openings but not enough good housing to make it comfortable for job seekers like in New Hampshire. I am at a nothing to lose scenario where if my stepdad is back in his home area, he can make more money, he has more connections and I can build on that so it works for everyone more.

Don't worry I am not coming to Portland and taking the locals jobs. theres way more people doing a lot more damage than little old me with a small income can do.

But yes, socially and economically, I will be trying to make it there and hope I can meet some new people when I come.. thoughts?

For all the people who say the NW is closed off whether it be Portland or Seattle, come to the east coast where everyone who matters is only those you knew for years, lesser transplants, lower decent housing availability. Full to the max, yes more full than Portland even. And some places are in or near peninsulas with a lot of people too or they're smaller states that they try to cram more into or elites from the surrounding states or vacationers move to the less crowded states and price them up. Thats our version of Californication. People come in, they stick their noses up in the air, some locals alike too depending where you are.

You want closed off though, classism, come to Maine, come to MA, come to parts of NH, Vermont.. we're in a worse situation here incase you are of the popular opinion that the NE is so fun, the bahston accent is funny. Truth is I felt like more of a celebrity when I went to Portland the first time. I am tall so someone, a little black girl once asked me if I was a blazer player and if it wasn't that, most other people would almost always notice my accent. I do kind of miss that I won't lie. A few are condescending but on average I'd say its worse to be a southerner visiting Massachusetts.

So yea Seattle freeze, Portland whatever they call it, Portland freeze? They say high suicide rates well, I know of a sunny city with beaches that has a high suicide rate, know where that is? St Petersburg Florida. Mens health rated it the most sad city. Say it isn't so! A place sunny with beaches, manages to have the saddest city rating above Detroit even... why is that? economic depression, aggressive panhandlers, worse than Portland. You will be asked for a lighter or a cigarette or for change far more during the course of the day if you're walking in somewhere like Largo Florida/St Pete than you will in Portland, hell one time someone even bought me a beer in Portland when I was waiting in line at a convenience store.

I gave up on Portland too soon but I totally have the feeling it is and was the best place for me all this time and I wasn't drawn here for no reason at all. I visited here long before my mom hooked up with my current stepdad also. He was amazed I did that. But yes I was drawn to Portland then. Before Portlandia, before it got its hip image even. I saw how Portlandia was in real life with locals, a woman wanted me to meet her online in person and thought me and her could be friends so I did.. I ended up loving the parts of the city I went to back in 08. Then in 2012, I moved there but in a not so good area and was shocked out of my head but all in all, not as many bad things happened to me on average like in other areas I been so for that, and if those are the negatives to Portland, I will gladly take them.

And as far as my budget goes, I am lower income but I wont be paying rent and will have some extra money vs places I was just living in on the east coast where my entire check went to rent. It was awful. Portland is looking like heaven now in comparison so here I come. While some people seek nirvana in Portland and think they're getting a utopia, my home area of NH is getting a new kind of transplant utopian now.. the libertarian free stater type. They're like your Antifa just a lot smaller but the average people hate them.. they use bitcoin currency.. I'll put it to you like this. The working class there hates them kind of like the conservative Portland working class hates Antifa. They think they're a bunch of rich kids who hate to work. Some people hold up signs claiming they're terrorized by Free staters which I actually didn't see a lot of in Portland. I didn't see regular people holding up signs bitching, sulking quietly with signs. They couldnt handle adversity thats for sure if say large swaths of them came like the people of Portland have to deal with. Its small league totally next to Antifa there I know. I seen videos of working class say business owners actually getting violent with them. Like a guy with a van and a phone number on it for plumbing or something, would get out of the car and hit the camera out of the guys hands. It wont make the news though UNLESS anyone heard of the Keene pumpkin riots 4 years ago. Thats where a lot of this takes place.

Sorry if I am rambling on but, I have a realization that Portlands problems in actuality aren't as bad on the grand scale as if a lot of these areas i am describing were bigger, they'd have more problems. I am just glad I get a 2nd chance to live in Portland, its like turning back the clock and I can make more of it than I ever did and can leave the more dead end northeast now for good. Family is the only reason I got brought back over and over but always tried leaving whenever I was there whether I was 20 or 38. Nothings changed.

Last edited by LeavingNewEngland; 10-10-2018 at 12:55 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 10-10-2018, 06:18 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,373,298 times
A lot of overthinking and soul searching.

Portland is just another city that happens to be on the west coast.

Come here for a visit, decide if you like it, then move here and see how it goes.

Come here, start over again, re-invent yourself, whatever.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

BTW, a move like that will either solve problems, or you will drag them along with you.

Kind of hard to tell which way it will go.

That depends on you.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:51 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,018,268 times
I don't want to be unkind but the OP's story is really not so different from many who wish to relocate to Portland with a few variations though he believes "his story isn't like a lot of people's."

Even his exact same title has been used before, more than once.

I no longer live in Portland, of course, but I don't believe I've been away so long, four years, that it's changed to the point where it's turned into Utopia. But nowhere has that yet been achieved. It does sound like he is willing to make an effort to ensure it will work for him and that's what causes a place to be an ideal one in which to live.

I don't know if there is a question in his very long post, usually that's the purpose of people coming on the relocation forums on CD. But I definitely see blog material here for which CD does supply a place. So my suggestion would be the OP start a blog in which he can write all his hopes and dreams. Then if he had actual specific questions about relocating to Portland, he can come here and ask them.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
A lot of overthinking and soul searching.

Portland is just another city that happens to be on the west coast.

Come here for a visit, decide if you like it, then move here and see how it goes.

Come here, start over again, re-invent yourself, whatever.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

BTW, a move like that will either solve problems, or you will drag them along with you.

Kind of hard to tell which way it will go.

That depends on you.

I been there before, so it will help me big this time I feel. I know of SE Division and 122nd area. SE Market St. I lived over there for a short time. I been to Oregon City, stayed out there so no issues there, I been to the area for sure.

This isnt a story like most because its between life or death now. The NE is overpriced beyond imagination, Portland and area still has more time, where I am really doesn't. This is about a move I didn't want to make but now my mom is realizing it finally. My stepdad who lived in Portland area for many years also didn't wanna do it. I didn't even have Portland on my radar. If I was considering alternate places to look to escape New England rents, I was actually looking at Las Vegas, perhaps Arkansas in a radical scenario where I was tired of overpaying and could get 3 times the space for the money. Portland only got on my radar again 3 days ago tops, Seattle was a secondary but I Can only do this because my mom and stepdad can move, if it was my own path and only my own where I picked the place for myself and my parents weren't leaving Cape Cod, I'd go with Vegas or maybe Arkansas as its even closer, same with Alabama too. Either way, I am put on the same coast as Vegas is on so if one day in the far future say the Portland weather is too dreary for me, I can go to LV but right now its awesome next to the NE winter I will have to face plus rising costs and even lower rental availability than Portland. Portland is actually pretty good in this department and I am sure unemployment numbers dropped too.I am not positive but I think its up to 4% now maybe less. Could even be 3.2. Usually its higher but still, you get the point. Its not in the 7 percentile or above like it was. I do know that.

So no I know for sure this case isn't like many who come to Portland. How many had Arkansas or Alabama on their radar for relocation to escape terrible rents all over the area into the suburbs and availability? and then can all of a sudden come to Portland and start fresh, not many. We'll see but I am put in a much better situation regardless if its permanent or not. I will be losing nothing, I will only be gaining with this one as I will be in a mother in law apartment on my parents property and more of them are out there than in the NE. Thats a +. Otherwise I'd have to go with my other plan but thankfully now I dont have to re strategize and overthink it. The pressure is off big time now and being within a half hour to Portland is for sure excellent compared to Cape Cod or Southern New Hampshire where I was spending my time.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't want to be unkind but the OP's story is really not so different from many who wish to relocate to Portland with a few variations though he believes "his story isn't like a lot of people's."

Even his exact same title has been used before, more than once.

I no longer live in Portland, of course, but I don't believe I've been away so long, four years, that it's changed to the point where it's turned into Utopia. But nowhere has that yet been achieved. It does sound like he is willing to make an effort to ensure it will work for him and that's what causes a place to be an ideal one in which to live.

I don't know if there is a question in his very long post, usually that's the purpose of people coming on the relocation forums on CD. But I definitely see blog material here for which CD does supply a place. So my suggestion would be the OP start a blog in which he can write all his hopes and dreams. Then if he had actual specific questions about relocating to Portland, he can come here and ask them.

I guess I don't have many questions. I pretty much know the basics..

If I have any, I guess I could ask about Newberg. How is it? Its pretty close in while being further and that sounds like a nice place without having to sleep in the middle of all the madness of Portland. Having to worry about your bike being stolen and so forth. Are you familiar with Newberg? I also could go to Tigard.. I Heard bits and pieces not much. I have heard of Damascus though as I actually used to watch transit videos and was into that kind of thing before and green living so I looked up videos about towns who were looking to expand transit.

If I do have a question to ask anyone and anyone, feel free to jump in if you know the answer.. Is Gresham still getting worse? Is SE Portland in the 122 area where I used to live still the same, worse or better? If I had to guess I'd say same. I saw on street view a few new places went up over there like stores and restaurants. It might actually be improving where the rest of the city core has improved. I do think SE 162nd is probably still a challenge though. NE 82nd I actually don't mind though. I loved going to the asian markets actually. Some of the chinese food there is sort of like where I come from in NH/MA with those cocktail lounges, brown duck sauce and so forth. Thats a NE thing incase anyone here didn't know that. Those places like Mama Sons are more common out this way. The dark dingy cocktail lounges, only I remember they had Video Lottery in them out there. I seen some real characters lol.

But you know one thing I miss that I'll be glad to get back KINDA is how people thought about my accent. I felt like a celebrity at times because people always made Matt Damon references and in reality, I sound more neutral compared to everyone else here but heavy to you guys in the NW. I do have that John Turturro Michael Richards edge though with some Adam Sandler. I recall Portland area types finding it real funny when they were around me.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 AM

21,697 posts, read 25,018,268 times
I lived in Tigard for a few years but that was when there were boarding stables for horses and people used to ride through the parking lot of my apartment complex freaking out my cats so I am not the best person to ask about Tigard.

Likewise Newberg. They had a yearly jazz festival a friend and I attended many years ago. I always like that town but I am sure it, as everything else in the area has changed.

I believe 122nd to be more crowded. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that as people got pushed out of close in neighborhoods due to gentrification, they went farther and farther to the East. Some sketchy areas. Some not too bad.

I pretty much stayed in my own neighborhood around 28th and Hawthorne for nearly thirty of my almost forty in Portland so I am no expert on the city. But you will no doubt find up to date ones here if they care to respond.

Of course I think the best way to find answers is to visit for as long as possible and ask questions. That's what I did when I relocated from Portland to the Cleveland area when I decided to relocate. Some of my best resources in every city on my list wound up being the wait staff in restaurants where I ate, desk clerks at hotels where I stayed and taxi drivers in the cities with which I was totally personally unfamiliar.

Since you know something about Portland your a little ahead of the game but it's changed a lot even in the four years I've been gone so be prepared.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I lived in Tigard for a few years but that was when there were boarding stables for horses and people used to ride through the parking lot of my apartment complex freaking out my cats so I am not the best person to ask about Tigard.

Likewise Newberg. They had a yearly jazz festival a friend and I attended many years ago. I always like that town but I am sure it, as everything else in the area has changed.

I believe 122nd to be more crowded. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that as people got pushed out of close in neighborhoods due to gentrification, they went farther and farther to the East. Some sketchy areas. Some not too bad.

I pretty much stayed in my own neighborhood around 28th and Hawthorne for nearly thirty of my almost forty in Portland so I am no expert on the city. But you will no doubt find up to date ones here if they care to respond.

Of course I think the best way to find answers is to visit for as long as possible and ask questions. That's what I did when I relocated from Portland to the Cleveland area when I decided to relocate. Some of my best resources in every city on my list wound up being the wait staff in restaurants where I ate, desk clerks at hotels where I stayed and taxi drivers in the cities with which I was totally personally unfamiliar.

Since you know something about Portland your a little ahead of the game but it's changed a lot even in the four years I've been gone so be prepared.

It may have taken awhile or had a long way to go back in 2012 in the mind of myself, but the Division and 122nd area could take off big if more people are pushed from downtown to the outer edges. It just won't extend into Gresham but it could go to those fringes. It wasn't even that bad over there, it just had a ways to go. There was gang member graffiti though on some peoples fences I do recall and strip clubs down there. But some people will over look that, rebuild around them if theres enough drive. It would be a very good area though, if it was known for bringing in the people who work lower wages who are ok people, but not the gang member element as much. So everywhere would improve no matter what in such a scenario.

One thing I noticed about that area, I think thats also where Dukes country music club was too or whatever they called it, but there was a more city country type element over there, many might have even once been deep southerners, but settled to Portland a long time ago. I came across someone from MS once too over there. So if there was ever a migration over there of deep southerners, that would explain it, coincidentally in the SE part of town. There are chinese restaurants, strip clubs, dive bars, taco time, a nicer shopping center in the other direction with the big lots, village inn.. A nice big library wasn't too far.. It wasnt too bad, it was just somewhat sketchy but with surprisingly a nice BIG library I didn't have to pay to park like I Had to in a city in NH just to sit down inside. Then you had eastern european markets a little further down the street like toward NE Sandy, Kmart. Salvation Army, the Refectory.. I been around that area! I know it to some degree. Thats actually the part of Portland that felt older, like you were back in the 1940s to some degree. Many traditionalists over there was the vibe I picked up. It probably wasn't unusual to find more classical music cd's at the thrift stores or christmas stuff. True old mans clothes. It made me feel like I was in Portland, but also not in Portland too. I found it a comfortable feeling to some degree being out there and not 100% where the hipsters were ya know.

About Tigard, ya that was long ago more than likely. I do know that was country and still might be, just closer to the city. I think Newberg was a town I drove through awhile back to get to McMinnville to visit. Its a downtown you drive right through, I think theres a pizza place, a book store?? Is that the right town? It has those things, maybe a coffee shop? but its not extremely tiny, its an ok size.

As far as the change goes, it might even be better now.. gotta wait and see and who knows, maybe some of it hasn't changed as well. And if too much of it has especially into Beaverton and NW Portland, then Newberg will be the perfect place as like I said, its not in the middle of all that madness but its close enough if you need your fix 2-3 times a week.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:25 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,373,298 times
Dukes is no more.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:52 PM

3,833 posts, read 4,840,959 times
I don't really see a question here except for the "What is Newberg like".

Newberg is not Portland. You aren't moving to Portland. You are moving to Newberg. Big difference.

It's a typical smaller town outside of Portland that is becoming an exurban suburb as people move out for schools and cheaper housing. It's an old farm town that is basically becoming a bedroom/commuter town for Portland now with a rapidly growing Hispanic population. I have an aunt and uncle who live out in the country near Newberg. You'll have a small historic old downtown area, a small Quaker university, and not much else. I expect that most people moving to Newberg from the outside are either going there to go to George Fox University, or just looking for a cheaper place to live outside Portland. Not because Newberg is any kind of special place on its own. Getting to and from Portland will be something of a headache because you'll be driving on 99W through Sherwood and Tigard and that road is massively congested during rush hour and frankly for much of the day anymore.

It's in Yamhill County so the TriMet bus system won't reach out there but I'm sure there is some sort of limited transit into Portland from Newberg. I think you have to take the local Yamhill transit to Tigard and then transfer to a TriMet bus there. So it isn't going to be that easy to get to Portland. Either you'll be stuck in traffic in your own car, or stuck in traffic in a transit bus. It will be a long haul.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I don't really see a question here except for the "What is Newberg like".

Newberg is not Portland. You aren't moving to Portland. You are moving to Newberg. Big difference.

It's a typical smaller town outside of Portland that is becoming an exurban suburb as people move out for schools and cheaper housing. It's an old farm town that is basically becoming a bedroom/commuter town for Portland now with a rapidly growing Hispanic population. I have an aunt and uncle who live out in the country near Newberg. You'll have a small historic old downtown area, a small Quaker university, and not much else. I expect that most people moving to Newberg from the outside are either going there to go to George Fox University, or just looking for a cheaper place to live outside Portland. Not because Newberg is any kind of special place on its own. Getting to and from Portland will be something of a headache because you'll be driving on 99W through Sherwood and Tigard and that road is massively congested during rush hour and frankly for much of the day anymore.

It's in Yamhill County so the TriMet bus system won't reach out there but I'm sure there is some sort of limited transit into Portland from Newberg. I think you have to take the local Yamhill transit to Tigard and then transfer to a TriMet bus there. So it isn't going to be that easy to get to Portland. Either you'll be stuck in traffic in your own car, or stuck in traffic in a transit bus. It will be a long haul.

Well Newberg is where my parents are going. I have to regardless how far it is. I am told 30 minutes most. Thats not bad if so and like I said, I don't want to be right in the middle of Portland. I'm cool with it if Beaverton is the nearest city which would probably take no time at all. And no snow to drive so, I don't see the problem. And the cheaper house is what my parents are after, how the total quality of the town is, I'll have to find out when I get there, but my goal is to work again and get going so I don't see how it will be a big problem. I don't want to go to Portland all the time, but maybe 3 times a week its safe to say or if a job is there. It sounds like you're trying to discourage me though. I don't know what else to say. As long as I can get to Beaverton just fine if Portland will be a little more of an ordeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or