Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Portland: college, find a job, creative director jobs, politics, great schools.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:32 PM

595 posts, read 2,740,878 times

Advertisements

Aaaaaaaah, come on now, fam421, you're last comment made me sad. You can't determine how the rest of you're life will turn out just by reading a few of these posts. You should visit the city and do some more research (if you haven't already) You will probably find yourself fitting into Portland more than you may think. We visited the city this summer and found it very nice.

If you have you're heart set on something, do it. Portland and San Francisco are two entirely different places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 04:52 PM

23 posts, read 70,214 times
Thanks, we are planning to visit this summer and probably a few more times during the next year. Our plans are to move next summer.
I do have to say that I've heard from a few others on this board that the job market for Advetising/Marketing in Portland is not good. I guess that's what really bums me out. My husband being able to land a good decent paying job is key to our move.
But thanks again for your kind words.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,408,697 times
Pinicnoir wrote: "No worries about finding a job"

You are talking about what city?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Well ideally we would love to move to Portland, but if the advertising/marketing jobs are not out there, then we may to try S.F.
Oh and they can't be entry level jobs. My husband has been in the business for about 13 years.
Thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 PM

9 posts, read 24,149 times
Fam21,

Don't give up so easily. If you really want to move there then make it happen. I moved from Michigan to New Zealand when I was 27 and married w/ three kids. And I had never flown in my life prior and have only ever been to the U.P. of MI and to Chicago by car. It was not easy, but it's what we wanted, so we did it.

Now we are moving to Portland sometime in 09' - we'll make it happen, despite the job market. - Maybe, send your husband to Portland a couple of times by himself and have him go to all the agencies (this is what I did when I went to NZ and it is what I'll do for Portland), that way he can get into all of the agencies and it will be easier for him to do this on his own. It'll be cheaper too.

-cheers and good luck,
brian

Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks Brian. We do a plan and we will not move unless my husband a job or at least some strong leads.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,989 times
fam421 listen up. A lot of what is written here is all about personal experiences. That really is a hard way to judge how a city will work for you. Since everyone has the "what happened to me" thing going on, here goes. My wife and I moved here Jan '07 and had absolutely no problems at all. She was employed in the health care field and found a job after looking for only a month (had two offers, had to turn one down). I went to school, then went back to work. I had a job in 2 months (and my field is waaaayyy tough to get into here).

As for the rest...there are plenty of religious institutions here. I have yet to meet anyone that is outwardly negative about it (and I am not religious). The cultural aspects are wonderful...art, music, etc. The food is fabulous! Farmer's Markets on every corner, or at least it seems that way sometimes. 1 hour from the Coast. Plenty of diverse neighborhoods. Somewhat dreary weather in the winter, but hell...the summers more than make up for that. They are spectacular!

There are things I could do without here, but most of them involve the ridiculous "we are so cool cause we live in Portland people" and the Hipsters that look at you funny if you aren't dressed right in the Stumptown coffeeshop. Whatever. I can deal with that. Since you are going to visit, you will have a chance to see what I am talking about. Enjoy the trips out to scope a possible new home base.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks so much. I love when I get positive response. I'll keep you updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland