Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by argo69 View Post

I use Carlson's brand Cod Liver Oil which is imported from Norway and I have seen bottles in more than a few kitchens here in Seattle. The oddest thing is that some of the joints in my legs used to make a small "cracking" sound when I walked and after starting the cod liver oil this disappeared permanently.
I use Nordic Naturals, but have used Carlson's in the past. I think they're the two purest brands and no fishy aftertaste (for anyone else--if you use a cheap brand that's when you get the gross aftertaste/burping).

Nordic Naturals also makes a Cod Liver Oil with extra vitamin D added and advertises it as helpful for SAD.

It supposedly helps with blood pressure, your heart, depression, neurological function and arthritis so it probably did help with the cracking. Doctors prescribe it for kids with ADHD and Autism as well because it helps with attention/language. I can't think of many things more beneficial yet most people don't take it. Maybe that's why so many are on here complaining about the weather

Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Actually if you are not a naturist you are vitamin D deficient by definition. The skin surface on ones face and arms which is about all the average North American exposes to the sky doesn't collect enough sun to provide adequate vitamin D. So peel off those Armani suits boys and girls and go easy on that SPF 45.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 PM

178 posts, read 584,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymalaia View Post
cod liver oil is great; vitamins a + d in their most natural (aka best) form. omega threes with dha and epa (flax isn't nearly as good). It's like a super supplement. The main downside is that it goes rancid pretty easily. That's the main reason such fats are lacking in our diet, they are not easily turned into commodities as they go bad too fast.
Flax goes rancid crazily fast without very particular handling and storage. There's no doubt there. Regarding the Cod Liver Oil however, you do not need to refrigerate it if you will be using the bottle up within two months.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 PM

108 posts, read 469,874 times
That 40 days of rain (it was '05 or '06) was a statistic from my doctor's office - I wasn't counting the days. The rain can affect allergies, when it rains a lot and then stops for a few days my husband always has a bad episode with his allergies.

You can argue, and I'm sure you will. If you count a 20 minute sun break as a sunny day, go ahead. I personally don't count a grey day with a sun break as a sunny day. But it is certainly nice when you can get some sun on a grey day - I'm self employed and can go out and soak up sun anytime.

That anything less than a 90degree, clear and bright day is dark and gloomy. I didn't say that, and I haven't heard anyone else say that. So why make your argument with a ridiculous exaggeration?

Stats show 144 sunny days for Portland. U.S. average is 205, while much of AZ, CA, CO (and many more) have 250-300+ sunny days per year.

There is no argument here, unless you want to twist those numbers around and say that Portland was counted unfairly. I wouldn't be surprised at all as that would be a very Portland thing to do.

Look at the numbers if sun matters to you, end of story. Peace out.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM

287 posts, read 897,140 times
Would LOVE some of that rain here! I need the clouds like some need the rain. One of these days I will move...

Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM

88 posts, read 319,214 times
Default no you didnt

no you didnt do enough research. That whole left side of the map from Washington to Oregon the weather is the same. Always cloudy and always drizzling. i lived in Eugene and 9 months out of the year it rained. you need to go over to Bend and stay in eastern oregon in order to get sun

Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
For others, theyre not ever going to see anything but doom and gloom here in Oregon, regardless of what the weather truly is. Some people just think if theirs a single white puffy cloud in an otherwise clear bright day, that its partly cloudy. That anything less than a 90degree, clear and bright day is dark and gloomy. They wont find happiness here. And should move to make the most of their lives. Why live somewhere you hate? Theres more than enough people wanting dearly to move here and live in Oregon. Trade em out.
Tiffany
Thanks for over simplifying things. Truth is I'm here because I married a lifelong PDXer who is very reticent towards any kind of move. I place marriage above where I live, even though it is difficult at times! No I don't think it needs to be 90 and pure sun to be happy. Personally I'd be miserable in that as well. But to claim Portland is not significantly darker and gloomier than most of the country for nine months out of the year is to ignore all statistical data on the topic! Some people aren't bothered by it, but don't try to say it isn't real!

Old 04-10-2008, 02:45 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checar View Post

You can argue, and I'm sure you will. If you count a 20 minute sun break as a sunny day, go ahead. I personally don't count a grey day with a sun break as a sunny day. But it is certainly nice when you can get some sun on a grey day - I'm self employed and can go out and soak up sun anytime.

There is no argument here, unless you want to twist those numbers around and say that Portland was counted unfairly. I wouldn't be surprised at all as that would be a very Portland thing to do.

Look at the numbers if sun matters to you, end of story. Peace out.
I don't think anyone here is arguing that Portland is one of the sunnier places in the country. I mean, obviously, the PNW isn't. But while I don't count 20 minutes of sun as a sunny day, I do count half a day of sun and mixed clouds as a day that ruins the equation of 40 days solid without any sun. Our winter weather is a mix of sun, clouds and rain. Some days it rains all day, some it will rain part, some days will be gloriously sunny. It can be very gray for many days at a time. I gets dark early. If you don't take supplements or are the type of person who NEEDS sun sun sun you will be miserable here. But the argument that it rains here 9-10 months of the year and it is only sunny two months of the year is just ridiculous. We end up with beautiful days in every part of the year. Anyone who lives here and says that is vitamin D deficient or has SAD.

Mod Edit You don't agree and you don't have to but it is not solid gray 9 months of the year and I can't recall in the number of years I've been here where there were 40 days without any sun. And again, anyone who feels that way REALLY needs to recognize that they're in need of some supplements. My husband has SAD so I've lived with this for many years and since taking Vitamin D and Cod liver oil, which he refused to do for years, he says he feels like a new person. He said he no longer feels like it's gray all the time, where before he would have been right there with you on that. I'm not doubting your perspective, I just think your perspective is clouded because your body needs something it's not getting. You can move to a very sunny climate or take supplements. There are some people who are just not cut out to live somewhere like the PNW, that's a given, but the weather is constantly exaggerated.

Last edited by deegers; 04-15-2008 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: going off topic, am about to do some deleting posts here

Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM

34 posts, read 253,180 times
Default Portland has lots of cloudy and drizzle

PORTLAND, OR Percentage of possible Sunshine by Month:January 28% February 38% March 47% April 52% May 57% June 56% July 69% August 66% September 62% October 44% November 28% December 23% Portland is at the 90th Percentile of Cities regarding Sunny Weather.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:31 PM

108 posts, read 469,874 times
Exactly, VA. Likewise, if you need to buy special lightbulbs to trick yourself into thinking you're getting sunlight...there ain't enough of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland