Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 24,308 times

Advertisements

Vancouver or Portland area?
I'm moving soon (the company is located in Vancouver) but I am undecided where to settle down.
Considering taxes, quality of neighborhoods, crime, singles' scene, access to city life, culture what would be a better choice. I assume all that can be found in a reasonable cummuting distance. Question is where. Any comments? What would you consider? Portland or Vancouver? Which neighborhoods?
Thanks,
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 05:51 PM

148 posts, read 238,812 times
Depends on what you like. Best thing to do is to visit and check out both areas. But, if you move to Vancouver, be prepared to be called a 'couve by us Portlanders. Most people that live in the Porltand area make fun of Vancouver as being kind of "trashy", but truthfully there are nice areas up there. On the other hand, Vancouverites(?) talk smack about Oregon and Portland, even though most of them cross the river to do lots of shopping without sales tax. In fact, the mayor of Vancouver just smashed a coffee cup that Burgerville had for sale, as it had a picture of Portland on it. There is a bit of tension between the two cities, as Vancouver does not want to be considered part of the Portland area. So.... just check it out and pick a side that you like best.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:53 PM

291 posts, read 709,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWhite View Post
Vancouver or Portland area?
I'm moving soon (the company is located in Vancouver) but I am undecided where to settle down.
Considering taxes...
Realize that if you live in Oregon, you'll have to pay 9.5% state income tax. Living and working in Washington, you'll pay no state income tax.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:27 AM

3 posts, read 24,472 times
I suggest Vancouver somewhere, due to the insane taxes in Oregon. People in portland are kinda pretenious compared to Vancouver people, though there are areas in Vancouver I suggest over other areas. For any sort of social life, you'll probably want to go to Portland. To see movies, go to clubs, etc. I find it nice to have a quiet dwelling in Vancouver to retreat to. If you're looking to live in a really bustling and political city, move into Portland.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:35 AM

Typical answer coming from a 'couve

Old 12-21-2006, 02:13 PM

13 posts, read 108,898 times
That was a very interesting thread, I have been wondering about both cities myself. However, speaking of rivers which side of Portland is the nicest?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:28 PM

Depends on what you like to do and what you are looking for. Eastside and Westside are completely different. What kind of area are you looking for?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXsailor View Post
Depends on what you like to do and what you are looking for. Eastside and Westside are completely different. What kind of area are you looking for?

Quiet and inexpensive rent. I don't want to live too far inland though, prefer near the water. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:56 PM

If you are looking to rent and like being near the water, there are houseboats on the Willamette and Columbia River for rent. Just make sure you are not near the airport (very noisy).

You can view listings here:

http://portland.craigslist.org/apa/

or

www.oregonian.com

Old 12-21-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXsailor View Post
If you are looking to rent and like being near the water, there are houseboats on the Willamette and Columbia River for rent. Just make sure you are not near the airport (very noisy).

You can view listings here:

http://portland.craigslist.org/apa/

or

www.oregonian.com

Thank you - I will check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland