Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 04:20 AM

117 posts, read 128,030 times

Advertisements

A lot of it is still pretty bad. Especially the areas around Alberta, Mississippi, Killingsworth. Even the names don't sound too appetizing do they?

I might be wrong BUT what I found is that NE has a lot of the more bad neighborhoods still despite the fact gentrification is taking place supposedly making a lot of it nicer.

Plus I went through a bad intersection around NE 99 and Glisan. Not only for traffic but thugs driving and walking around there too.

I just am skeptical about some of NE. It may be there where more of the bad in the city goes on, more than 82nd even. I see NE 82nd as the nicest corridor in NE actually and a little higher than that maybe too where the stores are and stuff. Call me nuts if you want but I see it this way. I think the other more trendy parts are getting increasing hype and people seem to be putting on the back burner that these neighborhoods could still very much be bad underneath it all.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:21 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
The community doesn't know how do cope with the number of homeless camping in public places and the garbage they leave behind.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:56 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
You are lacking a historical perspective. It might not look good to you now, but this is one instance where I can safely say you should have seen it 20 to 30 years ago.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:52 PM

33 posts, read 30,954 times
I been saying this very thing for awhile now. NE is very overrated especially the MLK area, Williams
St, Alberta, unthank park area, still a lot of shootings, gangs, it’s extremely overrated

Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
NE Portland is a huge quadrant of the city.

Some parts are gorgeous upscale areas with old mansions that have never declined.

Some parts have newly gentrified business districts surrounded by mixed residential areas that change block by block

Some parts are old and seedy

Some parts are mainly commercial

Much of it is fairly ordinary older residential neighborhoods

But in any event, you can't possibly generalize about an entire quadrant of the city.

In any event, pdxMIKE is correct, the area has changed dramatically from a few decades ago.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:45 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Heck, I remember NW Portland in the 40s and 50s. Not at all the vibe of today.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
You are lacking a historical perspective. It might not look good to you now, but this is one instance where I can safely say you should have seen it 20 to 30 years ago.

I still see remnants of it then, even if it was real bad before.. it looks like a slow part to develop and frankly should be given up on especially the gentrification zones.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
NE Portland is a huge quadrant of the city.

Some parts are gorgeous upscale areas with old mansions that have never declined.

Some parts have newly gentrified business districts surrounded by mixed residential areas that change block by block

Some parts are old and seedy

Some parts are mainly commercial

Much of it is fairly ordinary older residential neighborhoods

But in any event, you can't possibly generalize about an entire quadrant of the city.

In any event, pdxMIKE is correct, the area has changed dramatically from a few decades ago.

Some parts of it I'm pretty sure haven't though. Like a few squares on Glisan near 99. Mississippi, Alberta area, Killingsworth.. Killings is in Killingsworth also. I say avoid. Does not sound good.

I prefer 82nd to any of those and people badmouth 82nd a lot. NE or SE.. I like 82nd.

SW Portland has old parts, but I wouldn't call that high in crime over there like on SW Barbur, unless anyone has any info? but I don't get a bad vibe over there at all really.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Well, that is what is great about Portland! Portland has plenty of neighborhoods, and you can pick one you like and stay out of the ones you don't like!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:13 AM

252 posts, read 953,384 times
Mississippi and Alberta are trendy commercial areas now, as a sales rep who sells to local stores, I visit those areas often. I have never felt unsafe. I am a middle aged white woman. I can't speak to living in the area but I have done a lot of tours of local gardens that were in those areas and also never felt unsafe, I've seen a lot of gorgeous gardens in NE PDX. A great deal of gentrification has gone on in inner North and NE Portland in the last twenty years. Hipsters buying the Craftsman bungalows and renovating them.

I have lived and worked very close to 82nd both North and South for over 30 years. I worked at the former Safeway on 82nd and Burnside for 8 years from the mid 80's and lived just a couple blocks away. There were hookers, shoplifters and drug addicts in the store on a regular basis. I never had any issues at my apartment. I lived on 79th and Bybee which is the south end of 82nd for years, Lents still has rough areas but gentrification is in progress. I still see hookers, drug addicts and now homeless camps along 82nd which I travel frequently.

NE 99th and Glisan is not an intersection I would call bad at all. Certainly, 82nd is much worse. I travel through there on a regular basis. There is a seedy motel that rents rooms by the hour but it is on SE 99th.... I frequently shop at Gateway and go in from 99th to the garden department side of Fred Meyer. East of the I205 Glisan has escaped much of the downward trend that happened on Division and Powell. I lived off 167th and Glisan in the late 1960's and that neighborhood is almost exactly the same today. Nice homes with well kept yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: