Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times

Advertisements

We're referencing PSU (Portland State University) in downtown Portland, Oregon and WSU Vancouver (Washington State University Vancouver) in... well the Vancouver area, Washington.

I'm trying to decide which school would be the best fit for me, as someone interested in a business major.
I've always liked the idea in that if I were going to pursue a business degree then I should select a college
with businesses all around. PSU would definitely top WSU in that consideration. However, I'm not too sure
how I feel about Portland as a whole, compared to Vancouver. While I prefer attending a school that is less
cluttered, such as WSU, I am open to new experiences, and would be okay with that environment at PSU.

Basically, both schools of are interest to me and both schools I would be okay with in terms of attending.

With that said, for someone interested in a business major which school, PSU or WSU Vancouver, should I attend?

Things to note, I live on the Washington side. WSU Vancouver is closer to home but not by too much.
I'm really in the middle of these two. I would more than likely get an apartment close to the school,
with a roommate and divide costs by half rather then having to commute the 30 minutes home. I see
myself being most comfortable in a less chaotic environment. Lastly, job opportunities and internships
are something that is important for me when I consider schools. If you have any suggestions and or could
provide your personal experiences, opinions, etc that will help influence me in the direction I go that would be much appreciated. Thank you.

At PSU I would have to pay for out of state tuition but I can still get that reduced through WUE. It would still be more expensive to attend PSU.
And to clarify, I will be getting an apartment. To get out of my parents house, live independently, but too also be relatively close to the school.
And again I prefer a more relaxed environment. I do consider WSU Vancouver to be more relaxed, and less chaotic then that of PSU, especially living in downtown Portland.
But besides that everything else like size of student body, sports programs, school spirit, etc does not make any difference to me. I could care less either way, in other terms.

So, what school would you suggest to me. PSU or WSU? Thanks in advance!

Feel free to suggest me a different school! Obviously, I know of University of Washington. Any others I ought to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Between the two, PSU has the much larger and more established business school.

Can you go to WSU-Vancouver for the first two years and get your basic courses out of the way and then transfer to to the main WSU campus in Pullman to finish your business degree at the Carson College of Business there? That might be another alternative.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:44 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
PSU's MS in Business Administration is very well regarded locally. My question would be where do you want to work? If in Portland metro then PSU but in Puget Sound area probably the WA schools.

I agree the first two years at WSU-Vancouver (if WA resident) or even Portland Community College (OR resident) saves a lot of $.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
your age? (if leaving WA for EDU, do you plan to switch residency, or get a cross-state exemption ?)

If in HS, stick with WA and Running Start, then transfer as a jr (save 2 yrs tuition)

For the best Business School... UW, after which I would consider UofP, then PSU. WSU-V will not be top tier. (Limited offerings / future contacts)

One of my kids did WWU (low key / low cost school) and got a great job / career in Business finance.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
your age? (if leaving WA for EDU, do you plan to switch residency, or get a cross-state exemption ?)

If in HS, stick with WA and Running Start, then transfer as a jr (save 2 yrs tuition)

For the best Business School... UW, after which I would consider UofP, then PSU. WSU-V will not be top tier. (Limited offerings / future contacts)

One of my kids did WWU (low key / low cost school) and got a great job / career in Business finance.
No love for the WSU business school in Pullman? I was under the impression that they had a decent business school. But then it's not really my area. There's also Gonzaga.

I would amend Stealth's advice to say if you want to live and work within the Portland metro orbit which includes Vancouver and Clark County then PSU is a good and logical choice. If you want to live in WA outside of the Portland metro area, such as Puget Sound or eastern WA, then a WA school of business would probably be a slightly better choice. You will certainly encounter more grads and a better WA network if you go to one of the WA business schools.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:29 PM

I agree that networks are very important, they often provide the transition into the workplace. Once you have a job the quality of the education makes all the difference.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I agree that networks are very important, they often provide the transition into the workplace. Once you have a job the quality of the education makes all the difference.
I'm in my 50s and my alumni networks are still paying off in terms of introductions and connections and such. It doesn't end once you get your first job.

But I agree.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:53 PM

I agree with you, particularly in the Portland metro area, but I was focused on the situation of a student.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
OP asked about WSU-V, as an undergrad Business Major.

One of my kid's was not well served at WSU -V (Business minor). (Not very many offerings / semester), minimal interface with WSU-P, no WSU-P alum connections.

We have hired a few WSU-V manf engineers (OK program offerings.)

I have worked with some superstar UofP business grads. (as well as many PSU grads).I The OP will be able to discern the best school for them and their objectives.
Time well spent will be a REAL job within your field DURING college. Since I am more alert during the daytime... I worked 10 yrs of FT night shift jobs (within my field) while in college. Employer covered the tuition, via reimbursement.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 PM

One big difference between UofP and PSU is tuition. Admission into PSU's Master's in Business Administration requires very good grades and a high GRE.

I am not sold that high grades in an MBA program are the best predictor of success, sometimes a good solid B or C and great people skills are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: