Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:11 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times

Advertisements

50 years ago Old Town Portland was filled with scuzzy old SRO hotels that could be rented cheaply by the week. You might have an old sink in your room and the shared bathroom and shower was down the hall. There were junkies and rats and some were pretty nasty. But it was a roof over your head and better than a cardboard box or green tarp under a freeway offramp. And the weekly rent was something that someone on SSDI or veterans benefits could afford.

Those places are pretty much all gone because: Progress!

But the people who lived in them are still with us. And unfortunately zoning and the costs of construction and all regulatory costs like ADA compliant elevators and such make it pretty much impossible to replace those old SROs with anything modern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
... One subgroup of these transients are "homeless" by choice, very organized, and simply move around the country on buses, camping out and panhandling. For that group, it's a lifestyle choice, and many of them are younger, at least around here. This particular group of transients isn't interested in working or playing by the rules.

In any case, the encampments present safety and public health issues, and these younger transient populations are mixed in with all the other subgroups in the "homeless" category, making it even more difficult to address the issues.

I agree that this trend is cyclical, but there doesn't seem to be an end in sight, at the moment. I don't think anyone has good (realistic) answers.
There are cities who have addressed homelessness quite well.
Each city really needs a special formula that suits the region and the needs.

There are some very helpful NGO's in Portland, and I will bet they could collectively iron out a very reasonable solution for our region. I will 'guess' that the city council has other ideas and stands in the way of timely implementation. This is really too bad for residents and business owners. Several legacy retailers and businesses have chosen to already leave Downtown Portland. That is a signal the solution is much too late. (for this cycle).

Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I live in a smaller city where there are "Help Wanted" signs on almost every retail shop and restaurant in the downtown area. Yet, when I've asked these young panhandlers in the past why they don't just get one of these jobs, the response is: "I make more panhandling." And of course, it's tax free.

I agree that this trend is cyclical, but there doesn't seem to be an end in sight, at the moment. I don't think anyone has good (realistic) answers.

I will never understand people reward begging hobo's by giving them $. It's like praising your dog for pissing on the living room carpet.

Makes no sense.

The "Answer" is easy and realistic - a 3 am fire hose shower and firm GET OUT.

It's not Portland city gov't role to solve "homelessness". Portland city gov't role is to ensure taxpaying citizens have a livable, functioning city. That's it.

When I lived in Chicago it was refreshing to know police would put vagrants on a train heading out of the city. It was made clear at that time that hobos were not welcome. The hobos were not stupid. They got it and went other places. People will fix themselves when the choices they make are not rewarded.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:44 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Living in Nevada our homeless population is exploding along with rents. They tore down all the weekly motels where working poor and seniors could afford to live. They are vacant lots now with a vague plan for upscale housing but nothing happens. I find this really sad.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
One country I lived... They mounted each homeless person with a weedeater and set them out on the freeways (on 90+F days).

(There were no pawnshops, so the weedeaters could not be sold).

Won't 'work' for all, but there are no more homeless in that country (not a democratic run country), i.e. you can be deported, exiled, executed. But... you cannot stay if you are 'homeless'.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
When I lived in Chicago it was refreshing to know police would put vagrants on a train heading out of the city. It was made clear at that time that hobos were not welcome. The hobos were not stupid. They got it and went other places. People will fix themselves when the choices they make are not rewarded.
Unfortunately, I live in one of those towns where the homeless end up......after being put on one way buses out of Detroit.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Several legacy retailers and businesses have chosen to already leave Downtown Portland. That is a signal the solution is much too late. (for this cycle).
Same issue where I live. The downtown streets that are lined with panhandlers have some vacant storefronts due to the panhandlers scaring off customers, and other businesses have not moved in for several years.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
50 years ago Old Town Portland was filled with scuzzy old SRO hotels that could be rented cheaply by the week. You might have an old sink in your room and the shared bathroom and shower was down the hall. There were junkies and rats and some were pretty nasty. But it was a roof over your head and better than a cardboard box or green tarp under a freeway offramp. And the weekly rent was something that someone on SSDI or veterans benefits could afford.

Those places are pretty much all gone because: Progress!

But the people who lived in them are still with us. And unfortunately zoning and the costs of construction and all regulatory costs like ADA compliant elevators and such make it pretty much impossible to replace those old SROs with anything modern.
This is a great point. The rundown SROs have mostly been demolished. I can think of one in this town that is now a parking lot. It's really too bad that these options are all gone, though many were substandard (rats!). But they did provide a roof, running water and an address, something that homeless don't have living under bridges or in parks.

Unfortunately, many in the current homeless population would not be able to live independently or in an unsupervised setting, even an SRO hotel. They are just too strung out on drugs or alcohol, or have mental health issues.

It becomes a very complicated issue, but there likely is a group of currently homeless individuals who could function in an SRO setting, working a minimum wage job perhaps, and able to take care of themselves and the property. But those very low cost housing options no longer exist.

I met an older guy at a library a few years ago who was a "regular" and clearly had some issues, but was pleasant to talk to. I have no idea what his background "story" was, but he was on SSDI and lived with 4 roommates in a rental house, making the rent more manageable.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:29 PM

28 posts, read 24,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Scenery? I doubt the people living in the mud under concrete freeway overpasses chose this spot because they have a view of Mt. Hood on a clear day. And I'm always surprised that weather isn't a bigger deterrent. When I lived in Juneau AK there were even a lot of homeless living in the woods behind downtown Juneau in tents and such (Pretty much year round) and that is a MUCH harsher and wetter climate than Portland.

If I was going to be homeless I think I'd head to San Diego or Hawaii or someplace like that where you can be comfortable and dry outside most of the year. I don't even like taking the dog out for a walk when it's cold and wet around here. I can't imagine living out in that mess.

I couldn't do it. Another thing the city of Portland mislead people on about.. how good the weather was to be homeless in. I am even from the New England area and it gets cold here too.. Wasnt worth the move for me in general because I'm dealing with the same damn thing just with slightly milder weather and even lesser good restaurants. - Unhappy in the Portland metro. Trying to force my way out. Not homeless but I can't see at all how this is still considered a great area to move to.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:35 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Honestly.

Time to adopt the old Soviet Style planned apartment blocks.
All the city needs to do is condemn a couple hundred acres, build cheap basic concrete 10 story one or two bedroom apartments with a few social amenities, charge $350 a month rent (with all utilities included) for a one bedroom (no limit on residents), and there you go.
You could pay your rent buy "working" a couple of days of every month.
The rest of the time, you have a "shelter" and can do whatever you want.

In fact, hundreds of acres of land could be dedicated to this.
Rent would be a percentage of your income, which would be strictly audited and monitored by the government.

We could give those places an imaginative name like "The Projects".
Instead of Vodka and Semechki, it could be Kale salad and IPA's.

WE could pay for all of this by taxing our citizens at least 50 percent of their income.
On a sliding scale, of course.

We could deter any crime with a vigilant and physically active police force, with CCTV and wireless cameras monitoring all public areas, and "Ring Doorbells" on every apartment door connected to a central monitoring system, and encourage all residents to report anything they see, whether it is important or not.

What goes on in your apartment is your business, unless your NextDoor neighbors report you.

The "solution" is very easy.

But, after the housing solution is implemented and is a success,,,, what do we do with all the housed, healthy, rested robust people ready to work at gainful family wage jobs?

Easy Peasy, social welfare of course!

Stay "Cheeki Breeki" Comrades!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-17-2019 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland