U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 08:22 AM

336 posts, read 326,121 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the Columbia River Gorge (unsure yet which city: Hood River, White Salmon, other...?).

Been reading lots on city-data about the Gorge and cities near it. It appeals cause of more sun, the natural beauty, outdoorsy culture, being under 2 hours from Portland, and I assume even less hectic/crowds/traffic/urban than East Portland, more rural/nature. (I lived in Portland like 2 years and really like it, though silly me, never visited the Gorge.)

Weather...?

I'm trying to get even more clear, detailed answers on Gorge weather. I know from much travel throughout the U.S. that weather is really important to me. Sounds like different cities and parts of each city within and near the Gorge vary in weather slightly or maybe a lot.

*** SUN: How much year-round sunshine is there in various Gorge cities compared to Portland? I enjoy variety and don't need constant sun like San Diego but Portland was way too overcast way too often for me. I can't thrive in that (no amount of sun lamps or outdoor exercise would convince me to live somewhere that overall overcast again). Is Hood River the closest city to Portland with significantly more sun, or are there closer? (Closer to Portland the better.)

*** WIND: I hear wind is pretty strong inside the Gorge and in at least some parts of cities near the Gorge like up into Washougall. And I think worse in Oregon than Washington. (Hence the windsurfers.) What's the reality of this wind in various months and areas? Maybe it's hard to describe? Everyone has different preferences. But do most people feel miserable in it or barely notice or what? I think breeze and wind can be very nice in reasonable moderation. What I really don't want is the feel of Chicago's intensely strong winter lakeside winds. Is it true most Gorge houses aren't built to handle wind well?

*** SNOW/COLD: I hear there is snow and it's an icy sort of snow with say roughly 5ish winter days it's unsafe to drive and building sides may get ice. That's fine. I'd love to know even more specifically how cold and snowy which Gorge cities are which months. Chicago again is the measure of what's way too snowy and cold too long for me (especially with its winter wind).

*** OTHER: Anything else anyone wants to share about the weather and driving conditions would be wonderful. I hear the roads from the Gorge to Portland can have rare falling rocks and be a bit stressful to drive and there's a toll somewhere? That's really cool there's a bus from Portland to the Gorge just $5 round-trip you can bring a bike on! And good biking in the Gorge.

(Would love to visit but am far away and not currently able to. So gathering info from afar.)

To keep this thread focused would love no tangents about school districts, employment, etc. Just weather.

* * * T h a n k y o u * * *

Last edited by NatureYogi; 07-19-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 03:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,112 posts, read 45,202,274 times
Where? The CG is over 100 m long and has many varied climate zones (I have 7 distinct zones between my home and my West gorge town (that is only 7 miles)).

Please search OR and WA and internet...
We have discussed the Columbia Gorge weather quite a bit... (
July Climate History for Columbia River The Dalles | Local | Oregon, United States Of America
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usor0162
https://weatherspark.com/y/1228/Aver...tes-Year-Round

I have commuted the gorge daily for 30 yrs (sometimes 4x / day) I have not been hit by a falling rock (yet). One of my kids got hit in car by a falling tree. (just limit your commute to nice days!)

Bridge tolls at Cascade Locks and Hood River. Free elsewhere. (so far)

Old 07-20-2019, 03:19 PM

336 posts, read 326,121 times
Thank you for that and your post on my other thread, StealthRabbit! I will keep reading online even more but haven't yet found full answers. I did find a lot though.

Like this wind thread was helpful:
Columbia River gorge winds

I wonder which cities in and near the Gorge have the most year-round sun.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 PM

9,141 posts, read 3,846,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Thank you for that and your post on my other thread, StealthRabbit! I will keep reading online even more but haven't yet found full answers. I did find a lot though.

Like this wind thread was helpful:
Columbia River gorge winds

I wonder which cities in and near the Gorge have the most year-round sun.
I really don't recommend Oregon to anyone looking for sunshine. From my experience there are exactly two types of people in Oregon. Those who look out at the rain and smile and say, wow, what a beautiful day. This is going to make everything so green. And those who frown and look miserable all the time and keep asking, when is it ever going to end? Honestly it sounds like you are in the second group.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:13 AM

227 posts, read 273,804 times
Quote:
I really don't recommend Oregon to anyone looking for sunshine.
maybe by saying "Oregon" you mean the coast and the Willamette Valley? because east of the Cascades there is a lot more sun.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:54 AM

22,937 posts, read 12,265,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
I'm considering a move to the Columbia River Gorge (unsure yet which city: Hood River, White Salmon, other...?).

Been reading lots on city-data about the Gorge and cities near it. It appeals cause of more sun, the natural beauty, outdoorsy culture, being under 2 hours from Portland, and I assume even less hectic/crowds/traffic/urban than East Portland, more rural/nature. (I lived in Portland like 2 years and really like it, though silly me, never visited the Gorge.)

Weather...?

I'm trying to get even more clear, detailed answers on Gorge weather. I know from much travel throughout the U.S. that weather is really important to me. Sounds like different cities and parts of each city within and near the Gorge vary in weather slightly or maybe a lot.

*** SUN: How much year-round sunshine is there in various Gorge cities compared to Portland? I enjoy variety and don't need constant sun like San Diego but Portland was way too overcast way too often for me. I can't thrive in that (no amount of sun lamps or outdoor exercise would convince me to live somewhere that overall overcast again). Is Hood River the closest city to Portland with significantly more sun, or are there closer? (Closer to Portland the better.)

*** WIND: I hear wind is pretty strong inside the Gorge and in at least some parts of cities near the Gorge like up into Washougall. And I think worse in Oregon than Washington. (Hence the windsurfers.) What's the reality of this wind in various months and areas? Maybe it's hard to describe? Everyone has different preferences. But do most people feel miserable in it or barely notice or what? I think breeze and wind can be very nice in reasonable moderation. What I really don't want is the feel of Chicago's intensely strong winter lakeside winds. Is it true most Gorge houses aren't built to handle wind well?

*** SNOW/COLD: I hear there is snow and it's an icy sort of snow with say roughly 5ish winter days it's unsafe to drive and building sides may get ice. That's fine. I'd love to know even more specifically how cold and snowy which Gorge cities are which months. Chicago again is the measure of what's way too snowy and cold too long for me (especially with its winter wind).

*** OTHER: Anything else anyone wants to share about the weather and driving conditions would be wonderful. I hear the roads from the Gorge to Portland can have rare falling rocks and be a bit stressful to drive and there's a toll somewhere? That's really cool there's a bus from Portland to the Gorge just $5 round-trip you can bring a bike on! And good biking in the Gorge.

(Would love to visit but am far away and not currently able to. So gathering info from afar.)

To keep this thread focused would love no tangents about school districts, employment, etc. Just weather.

* * * T h a n k y o u * * *

I've looked for reliable climate data on Hood River and The Dalles that would provide that information but haven't found it. I don't think you'll get enough more sunshine hours anywhere in The Gorge compared to Portland to make move on that basis. The wind feels strong most of the time when I drive through there but the climate data I've seen doesn't support that subjective feel. I don't think driving conditions are very bad except you do get some periodic black ice.

If you don't mind paying for it, Hood River to me is the best place in the Gorge with a cool and clean vibe, gets more sun and less rain than Portland.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:56 AM

22,937 posts, read 12,265,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post
maybe by saying "Oregon" you mean the coast and the Willamette Valley? because east of the Cascades there is a lot more sun.
Yes but it's still gray and cloudy for long periods in the winter in the Gorge. I've heard Klamath and Medford get the most sunshine in Oregon.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:24 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,636,134 times
Quote:
It is the difference between 140-150 days of sun/part-sun in the Willamette Valley to between 160-210 days of sun in southern/central/eastern Oregon. Sunnier but not sunny by US averages. Ignore the Chamber of Commerce-style booster pages that tell you that anywhere in Oregon gets 300 days of sun or the like, it's generally not true (and requires bending the definition of "sunny" to include the slightest glimpse of sun).
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 07-24-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 11:17 AM

9,141 posts, read 3,846,601 times
Quote:
I think people who need sun to be happy, should move to Arizona or Southern California. That's what I would do, if I was in that position.

There are a lot of unhappy people here, who do nothing except complain about the lack of sunshine. It's not good for them, or for the rest of us who have to listen to their complaining. It's been pretty cloudy lately, and I have been seeing a lot more of it. Last week I was at a physical therapy appointment. One of the therapist looked out the window, and announced to his co-worker that it was cloudy again. The co-worker let out a sigh, and got gloomy faced right away. I can't even understand why. The temperature was 71 degrees, slightly overcast, a little bit humid, but not raining. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. I was feeling good, but I was surrounded by all these depressed people. I don't expect that most of them will stay here very long.

If you like rain, clouds, cool temperatures, and nice green forests, the Pacific Northwest is for you. If you are looking for sunshine, that's what the Desert Southwest is for.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,112 posts, read 45,202,274 times
Quote:
"a lot more sun" is all relative...
Quite honestly ... Boise and north / NW has some pretty gray winters.

(intense) Sun in winter? + Mtns (cooler climate) = Colorado and NM and AZ and often UT and CA.

Of course storms come to those places, but only a few days at a time, not having cloud / gray duration measured in months. Short days and DARK cloud cover nights bring a significant winter dreariness to Oregon and WA. Coming to PNW as a prairie kid... Winter is very tough for the last 36 yrs. (So I leave often... every week if possible!)

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/citi...essing-winters
url]https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/the-sunniest-places-in-the-usa-perfect-for-a-summer-holiday/[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland