Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM

167 posts, read 590,858 times

Advertisements

I've just read through 10 threads here in the Portland board and was amazed at the incredible amount of cranky responses to posts. I've also been on 12 other city-data boards and have seen some similar posts, but not the amount that I've seen here in the Portland board. While everyone is entitled to their opinion (God bless America), these kinds of posts hardly show the good side of your lovely city. Is it the weather? Not likely, because the Seattle board is fairly friendly. Have I stumbled across 10 coincidences? Hm. Something in the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 04:47 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
I know I'll catch heck for it, but... One of the theories about Portland that's been put forth before, which I suscribe to and have shared on this board, is that Portland struggles with a bit of an inferiority complex of sorts. Not as big or cosmopolitan as Seattle, no longer as homey and quirky as it used to be, Portland as a community always seems to need to "prove" itself to the rest of the U.S. People come across as having a chip on their shoulder about how great Portland is. It's a shame, because Portland DOES have a great many things to offer: great public transit, very bike friendly, clean, still a lot of parks and green spaces, thriving music seen, progressive/liberal views that have led to some nation leading urban planning. But for all this, Portland still comes across as trying to hard to prove itself. RELAX Portland! Let your city self itself! Don't be so defensive!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:41 PM

845 posts, read 2,743,774 times
I agree, many of the people here can be quite defensive and I am not sure why. Sometimes I feel as if the only opinion allowed is that Portland is the greatest city no matter what. It's really off-putting and I have never experienced that wide spread attitude until I moved here.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
jeh

31 posts, read 130,628 times
i was also thinking how there's a lot of negativity here recently.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:03 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 428,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
Sometimes I feel as if the only opinion allowed is that Portland is the greatest city no matter what. It's really off-putting and I have never experienced that wide spread attitude until I moved here.
As I said in another thread, it's the civic equivalent of "AMERICA #1 WHOO YEAH AMERICA," and it results in a lot of the same xenophobia and jingoism when it comes to other areas of the country.

Is it an outgrowth of insecurity? I guess that's the only explanation for it.

Portland has many things going for it, but the constant self-back-patting sets my teeth on edge. Who wants to be around a reasonably attractive woman who's always telling you she's the most beautiful woman in the world?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i recently retired tolerance for baloney is taking a nose dive. they must be recent retirees how else would they get time to post this much.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,997 times
I love this town, but people here think that their poop don't stink cause they live here. What a joke. This town is great, and should never have to compare itself to other places or prove itself. It just is its own unique, cool town. But all the self-indulgent idiots who just love to go on and on about how they live in Portland is really ridiculous. And yes, there is negativity galore in these posts...what gives? How about a little live-and-let-live?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
I've just read through 10 threads here in the Portland board and was amazed at the incredible amount of cranky responses to posts. I've also been on 12 other city-data boards and have seen some similar posts, but not the amount that I've seen here in the Portland board. While everyone is entitled to their opinion (God bless America), these kinds of posts hardly show the good side of your lovely city. Is it the weather? Not likely, because the Seattle board is fairly friendly. Have I stumbled across 10 coincidences? Hm. Something in the water?
I have found these boards to perfectly reflect the ambiance of the area. Portland does have a lot to offer. However, I really felt like the "crankiness" that comes through on this board made it an awful place.

Even if you could disregard the culture of Portland in favor of the benefits, you still have to pay "homage" to the benefits. You know that worship of sorts to "an hour to the mountains/an hour to the coast?" Or taking pride in being "the Pacific Northwest?"

It really felt like I was at a party with the cool kids in high-school... The conversations were always in line with continuing your coolness. I don't know, I always preferred something that had more to do with connecting with others in a sincere way than playing politics... I guess the "crankiness" you refer to is the reaction to an attack on their "coolness." It's like you walked up to a group of kids who thought they were cool and said,"Hey, wearing a tight shirt with man-boobs isn't cool." Knowing in their hearts that man-boobs aren't cool, they became really resentful.

That's how I see it.

Last edited by One Thousand; 04-16-2008 at 01:29 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Even if you could disregard the culture of Portland in favor of the benefits, you still have to pay "homage" to the benefits.
Huh???
I can't comprehend what this sentence says, other than the "culture" is NOT a "benefit" (I can't even grasp such a concept), and then there's the incomprehensible homage... Could you please explain what you intended by this sentence? Thank you very much!

P.S. I love Portland. Have since I met her in 1983. Lived for a while on NW 19th near Hoyt. Loved it.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 AM

77 posts, read 250,865 times
Default Also Frustrated

I am moving to Portland in July and have been visiting these posts for information, which often includes people's opinions. Having to weed through all of the negativity is getting tiresome, but I continue to do it for the valuable pieces of information that are offered in between the bickering. My general thoughts are that those who spend all day at a computer writing bad things in response to others are not people from whom I want advice. Thanks to those who actually offer useful posts!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland