Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:07 PM

46 posts, read 305,830 times

Advertisements

As a newbie to Portland I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if $98 for 33 days service for a 700 s/f apt. is high? My husband got the elec bill today & called me to say it was $98...I'm still here in Fla. til end of mth. Anyway...we were kind of shocked. Seems rather high to me for one mth. We have Portland General Elec. He says he only turns on one heater on low during the night and sometimes during the day... We don't even have a washer/dryer....luckily! Coming from Fla. we never had to use the heat, just the opposite...the A/C. Anyway...does this seem high for a small apt? I went onlinie to look at the breakdown and it seems the actual elec usage was only apprx $64, but there is also a $26 distribution charge, According to PGE the distribution charge is as stated:

"Transmission and distribution charges cover the cost of bringing power to you. Previously, these charges were included in your Basic Charge and Energy Use Charge. The charges are now broken out so you can see the cost of maintaining the utility poles, lines, substations, transmission towers and other equipment."

Our son lives 2 miles from us and is with a different elec co. and his bills are much lower. Is PGE higher than the others out there?

BTW...I told him from now on to wear a coat at night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 PM

61 posts, read 490,953 times
I'm in a more southern part of Oregon right now, but when I lived in Portland 4 years ago, I remember my apartment's electricity bill being about $80 during the winter. I did have a washer/dryer and only myself in the apartment. Prices have risen, so it is very likely that is an accurate reading. I think my brothers two bedroom bill was $120 with washer/dryer and two people, during the winter. The heat just drifts out of their apartment though.

Hopefully some current Portlanders will chime in.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:38 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Electricity is very reasonable in this part of the country but if the apartment uses resistance heating the usage will be high. Compare Kwh as well as dollars to get a idea of what is going on.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Electricity is very reasonable in this part of the country but if the apartment uses resistance heating the usage will be high. Compare Kwh as well as dollars to get a idea of what is going on.
What is resistance heating? Also, I just looked at the bill and it's from Mar 14th to Apr 16th...I guess that's still considered "winter" in portland. The Kwh used was 943. Is that a lot? Sorry...don't know anything about this! Thanks!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:23 AM

lac098,

I don't know about Kwh sorry, but depending on what the weather is doing at this time of year it can be cold. We had a day in the 80's last week and just yesterday morning I had a light layer of snow on the rooftop and ground. (OK, just had to edit this and look outside, its worse than yesterday. It looks like a winter wonderland. I wonder if it is in Portland?) Its nuts! I'm in a town a few hours south of Portland right now. I usually don't turn off the heat until we are regularly in the 70's during the day and it hopefully doesn't go lower than the 40s at night and that might be May I think. I do run the AC all summer, this apartment is way too hot in the summer. All my other apartments I haven't needed AC. I usually put the heat on again by October. Others may be different, just wanted to let you know what you may encounter.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillawafer View Post
lac098,

I don't know about Kwh sorry, but depending on what the weather is doing at this time of year it can be cold. We had a day in the 80's last week and just yesterday morning I had a light layer of snow on the rooftop and ground. (OK, just had to edit this and look outside, its worse than yesterday. It looks like a winter wonderland. I wonder if it is in Portland?) Its nuts! I'm in a town a few hours south of Portland right now. I usually don't turn off the heat until we are regularly in the 70's during the day and it hopefully doesn't go lower than the 40s at night and that might be May I think. I do run the AC all summer, this apartment is way too hot in the summer. All my other apartments I haven't needed AC. I usually put the heat on again by October. Others may be different, just wanted to let you know what you may encounter.
So then, what is your bill like during the winter mths then? thanks for the info!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lac098 View Post
What is resistance heating? Also, I just looked at the bill and it's from Mar 14th to Apr 16th...I guess that's still considered "winter" in portland. The Kwh used was 943. Is that a lot? Sorry...don't know anything about this! Thanks!
You are being charged less than 7 cents per kWh. This is very low. See this chart:
State Electricity Price Ranking

Most likely the problem is a poorly insulated apartment building.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
You are being charged less than 7 cents per kWh. This is very low. See this chart:
State Electricity Price Ranking

Most likely the problem is a poorly insulated apartment building.

good info. thanks again. Actually, I think the problem could be that my husband is just not used to the cold. Spending 10yrs in Fla. it's hard to adjust to the cold again, even though we are both originally from the Northeast. I think he's just been keeping it on all the time. Hopefully, we will get used to it and not have to use the heat as much!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:09 AM

lac,

When I lived in Portland it was around $80 (4 years ago) with washer/dryer and in newer complex. I live in a much cheaper area for electricity right now. I think mine is now $45 at the most, but no washer/dryer in apartment. It is an older apartment, but it has good storm windows. I think that is why it is also so hot in here in the summer. Since it is so much cheaper where I am now, it can't compare to Portland prices.

Is it a bottom apartment those seem to be colder, since heat rises. Unfortunately to me $64 seems about right especially if your not used to the cold. We may have had a cold spell too. I don't remember. One good thing is once you have been here a year you can get an averaged bill that will take all your amounts for the year and then split that cost over 12 months, so it will even it out all year around. I haven't done it, but it seems like a good idea. You do have to sign up for it if you want it.

Sorry I don't think I've been much help.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillawafer View Post
lac,

When I lived in Portland it was around $80 (4 years ago) with washer/dryer and in newer complex. I live in a much cheaper area for electricity right now. I think mine is now $45 at the most, but no washer/dryer in apartment. It is an older apartment, but it has good storm windows. I think that is why it is also so hot in here in the summer. Since it is so much cheaper where I am now, it can't compare to Portland prices.

Is it a bottom apartment those seem to be colder, since heat rises. Unfortunately to me $64 seems about right especially if your not used to the cold. We may have had a cold spell too. I don't remember. One good thing is once you have been here a year you can get an averaged bill that will take all your amounts for the year and then split that cost over 12 months, so it will even it out all year around. I haven't done it, but it seems like a good idea. You do have to sign up for it if you want it.

Sorry I don't think I've been much help.
yes, it is a ground floor apt. I didn't even think about that, but it would be colder being at the ground level. My husband is going to check out some heaters at home depot. might be cheaper using one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland