U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 02:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,665 posts, read 72,592,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I will be impressed with BLM when they start showing up to protest in areas of cities where black lives are taken by black on black violent crime. Which is what 90%+ black lives are lost to, that is other blacks. These wimps would never show up in the south side of Chicago to the local drug king pins house to protest the hundreds of "black lives" that guy has taken with bullets. Because that's actually hard, takes guts. And they wouldn't get the media or political mileage that they get with cherry picking a rare instance of police negligence (out of millions of police apprehensions that happen annually), blowing it out of proportion. So for now I still see BLM as a total scam fraud.
That cannot happen in many cities, such as Seattle, where there is no longer a Black "district." With the influx of immigrants from other countries and gentrification, places like the Central District and Rainier Valley that were mostly black in the 1990s are very much mixed now. Black is only 7%, Asian 14%. Since 2010, almost half of the growth in all of King County has been foreign born, 3rd highest in the nation. The majority are from India, followed closely by China. Many Blacks in those formerly Black neighborhoods have moved out to the suburbs.

The same has happened in Oakland, CA which in 1980 was 46% Black, now only 27.3%.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...t-in-50-years/

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...nd-2471925.php
Rate this post positively

Old 07-23-2020, 02:54 PM

873 posts, read 919,268 times
I am starting to think they WANT more people to be hurt and/or killed by the feds or police so they can further justify their agenda and send Trump packing in a landslide or worse. The agitators seem to not care about who they hurt when teh police strike back. I am forced to believe these people are those types who hit you and you hit them back and they call foul and outrage over your "violence"

Old 07-23-2020, 05:56 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,704,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I am starting to think they WANT more people to be hurt and/or killed by the feds or police so they can further justify their agenda and send Trump packing in a landslide or worse.

I agree the left thinks that chaos will result in a Trump defeat. Yet it might result in a backlash, even a Trump landslide.

The current polls are dubious, because many Trump supporters dare not admit it in public. And might not admit it to some anonymous, alleged pollster on a phone.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:12 PM

1,313 posts, read 573,479 times
to riot is the endgame

Old 07-23-2020, 11:33 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,389,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No, freedom from the fascist police state that we have become.
When did we become a police state?

Old 07-24-2020, 01:09 AM

334 posts, read 145,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
There are different factions so there’s not really a consensus.

This was projected last night, I doubt that’s the full list though

https://twitter.com/devynfromoregon/...605588993?s=21
Where are the “demands?” Bunch of twitter nonsense in that link.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:14 AM

334 posts, read 145,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There are peaceful protesters that have an organized cause.
I think you are referring to those that come out at night to cause chaos, or the thugs that mix in with the peaceful protestors. For them you have to realize this is not really goal driven, beyond the general ideology of anarchy - a total end of government, authority, and laws...a stateless society.

But more important - this is theater to these guys, a hobby, a club, part of the "scene" that they can do with their buddies, it's fun, it's an adventure, looting to get free stuff is the added benefit. It's almost a career to these guys. It has nothing to do with BLM or any other social causes. Their demands are simply to be allowed to destroy things. There are no goals beyond that. Once this ends they will pick up there things, get some side jobs, and move to the next cause to destroy stuff - save the whales, occupy wall street, etc.
At this point, was is even the peaceful cause?

So replace capitalism with nothing. Seems to be a common theme in these useless protests...no one knows what the alternative is.

The Marxist front called BLM sure knows what it is doing and what it wants to establish in the u.s. though...has nothing to do with black lives of course.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:22 AM

822 posts, read 2,105,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlebar View Post
At this point, was is even the peaceful cause?

So replace capitalism with nothing. Seems to be a common theme in these useless protests...no one knows what the alternative is.

The Marxist front called BLM sure knows what it is doing and what it wants to establish in the u.s. though...has nothing to do with black lives of course.
Thank you for at least moving forward with the original topic here. As you stated "replace capitalism with nothing, no one knows what the alternative is". This is the type of thought I am looking for answers to.

I'm not well read on what a "Marxist Front" would be, but at least if that group as you stated "knows what it is doing, and what it wants to establish" here in the U.S., what would that be? I'm going to do some reading now on Marxism so I can see what this answer would look like in more detail, however; in my view you are hitting the mark here when you state that "no one knows what the alternative is". This is one of the reasons I'm asking this here in terms of "what demands could be met for these protests to stop?". What is their endgame?

Thank you

Old 07-24-2020, 09:18 AM

9,077 posts, read 15,295,257 times
These fools could care less about causes. A number of them most likely are people with little direction in life. I wonder how many of them are actually employed. They enjoy causing Chaos and taking over downtown. They burn and loot and know they can get away with it.

I blame Portland officials for this situation. It's obviously allowed to happen. What I don't get and never have. The Why. Why does a city allow this Radical Political Climate to exist in the first place? Like I said previously protesting is a constant in Portland. It has gone on for decades. I couldn't count how many times my getting from A to B was disrupted in my years in Portland. All because of Protests, demonstrations and Police incidents with thugs. Yet I was one of the residents working and paying Income and Prop Tax. Where was my rights and Quality of Life to Live in a respectable city. I had none evidently nor was Portland respectful of all people. Certainly not the ones that financially supported the city. Thugs Control Portland. They are called Protestors, Homeless, Hipsters and the Worthless City Officials. Those are the respected citizens of Portland.

There is no endgame for the Protesters. They go on and on to the next cause. It's all fun for them.

If I had my way. I'd have a number of Fire hoses played on them at full force and wash everyone of them into the Willamette River. Id then serve papers on the city officials to remove them from office. They have no business being in control of an American City. Just how many oddballs have been Mayor of Portland. All responsible for what's led up to the Portland of Today.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:36 AM

15,015 posts, read 22,499,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Thank you for at least moving forward with the original topic here. As you stated "replace capitalism with nothing, no one knows what the alternative is". This is the type of thought I am looking for answers to.

I'm not well read on what a "Marxist Front" would be, but at least if that group as you stated "knows what it is doing, and what it wants to establish" here in the U.S., what would that be? I'm going to do some reading now on Marxism so I can see what this answer would look like in more detail, however; in my view you are hitting the mark here when you state that "no one knows what the alternative is". This is one of the reasons I'm asking this here in terms of "what demands could be met for these protests to stop?". What is their endgame?

Thank you
I don't think there is any "marxist front" as most of the attendees have no clue what marxism is beyond some vague idea of "hey we can do anything we want and get everything for free". These guys aren't exactly a mob of philosophical Karl Marx's here, but high school dropouts and college liberal arts majors finding out for the first time since they left mom and dad that they have to actually work for a living and *gasp* provide for themselves. These are essentially entitled spoiled brats.

If they only knew that marxism means more government control, more rules, more authority, not less, that may mean an eye opener for them, but then again they don't care.

In some sense, many of their vague ideals are related to libertarian causes - less government, more individual freedom. Ironically this is more associated with conservatism and the right. There is actually a libertarian party, many republicans embrace it. However these rioters are missing the responsibility component with the libertarian ideas - with personal freedom comes personal responsibility. That's something they will never embrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland