Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 06:10 PM

330 posts, read 428,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
As a native Oregonian and long time resident of Portland, I for one always enjoy hearing from a recent arrival how we're doing it all wrong. I like it almost as much as the recent highly publicized think-piece from the Lake Oswego resident charactering Portland akin to a Mad Max film.

Surely there must be hundreds of towns and cities in this great country that could also benefit such wisdom. I would encourage you to actively seek those opportunities.

I'm mostly posting in this thread to say WONDERFUL PHOTOS, Derek! I always want to like your posts and city data almost always says, oh you'd better spread reputation around, can't let Derek have it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 07:35 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah210 View Post
I bought my first house in east Springfield a couple months ago... I feel like it was a good investment. Small newer ranch house and just a slight whiff of the paper mill on some days. Not the most prosperous neighborhood of course (I can't afford to live in the hills or in a location with larger homes), but it does have some character. It's got a bit of a country feel in a city of ~60,000 and and is certainly not dirty or crime-ridden. Our Eugene/Springfield metro area is much smaller than Portland's (hardly ever visit Portland so probably am not understanding the scope of problems discussed in this thread), but in any metro it seems that a better quality of life can be found by choosing to live a ways outside the downtown urban core. Unless you're a college student, native urbanite, or transplant from a rural area who is specifically seeking out that fast-paced type of environment for yourself.

If I want to go to an event in downtown Eugene I can drive there in 15 or 20 minutes and that's fine by me. It's actually quicker to get into the mountains than it is to get to the city center. Best thing about living in Oregon is hands-down the wonderful outdoor opportunities that abound in every direction.
Congratulations on your new home in Springfield. Yes Springfield is so close to Eugene, you can go there when you want in minutes. Without paying the high price to live there. It's been 8 years since I retired and left Portland. I definitely miss the outdoor activities in all directions you speak of. That and alot less population to deal with. I went all the way to Florida but I miss Oregon. It literally amazes me how much cheaper homes and Property taxes are here, at least in certain areas of Florida. It also amazes me how outrageous the cost of home insurance is due to hurricanes. I guess we can't have everything. Enjoy your new home.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:18 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post

I'm mostly posting in this thread to say WONDERFUL PHOTOS, Derek! I always want to like your posts and city data almost always says, oh you'd better spread reputation around, can't let Derek have it all.
Thanks, Jackie. The area is truly beautiful and also why so many who enjoy the outdoors come here. Whether that be for the mountains, rivers, forests, lakes, waterfalls, hiking trails or the amazing coast, it really offers a lot once out it nature.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland