Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Z4 View Post
Stay west of I-205 and north of Foster Rd.

Like 82nd and Sandy? (Grotto)
or how about 3 blks south of there (82nd and Beech!)

67th and Powell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 04:29 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
67th and Powell?
One of my favorite restaurants is at 67th & Powell.

https://powellsseafoodtogo.com/

Old 02-02-2021, 03:56 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,108,526 times
OP - What do you plan to do in Portland? Do you have work lined up? That will be the deciding factor on where you should live. You could live in Oregon City if you also work in Oregon City, or Tigard if you work in Tigard, etc. Or, do you have work lined up near/in downtown and need to get there everyday?

Old 02-02-2021, 03:57 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,108,526 times
Oh well, I didn't check the date of the OP. I'm guessing she is out of here

Old 02-03-2021, 11:00 AM

10,066 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Shootings. Homeless. Blight.

Portland has been lucky it had so few of these "urban problems" before. Welcome to Los Angeles. Or Chicago.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:43 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
Keeping Wonderland wonderful.

Quote:
LeadsRx had already moved out of the Custom House space when it got the letter from WeWork. It now occupies a space in Johns Landing, and the company said the decision to move was a direct result of the deteriorating situation downtown and in the adjacent Pearl District.

“The political/social climate in the downtown area, combined with our need for additional space… led us to take new offices South of town,” LeadsRx CEO A.J. Brown wrote in a note to staff Friday.

“If you haven’t been downtown or to The Pearl recently, you might not be aware of the issue with homeless living shelters, trash, boarded windows, graffiti, and crime,” Brown wrote. “I’m so glad we made the move when we did, but I’m also saddened to see WeWork no longer willing to brighten that area.”
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ands-core.html

Old 02-07-2021, 08:45 AM

346 posts, read 308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
I'd personally stay out of Portland city limits. Crime is increasing, property taxes are sky high and businesses are closing. If you must move to Portland area (I wouldn't), I'd choose the west side suburbs like Garden Home, Cedar Mill, Bethany, Oak Hills, West Slope.

Sherwood is not a good town, despite the whole good schools reputation, something about it feels low brow for someplace with a high COL.. is this also counted in Portland metro? It is down the street kind of on 99W.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzito View Post
Most neighborhoods are safe in terms of person-to-person crime (although someone posted about the doubling of the murder rate from 2019 to 2020, I suspect that only a few parts of the city really suffered through that increase). There is a lot of vandalism, car break-ins, petty theft, etc. (livability crimes) in most parts of Portland. The neighborhoods less affected are the ones you'd expect due to higher socioeconomic factors: West Hills, Irvington, Alameda, parts of Laurelhurst. Some of the outlying areas in Southwest Portland, noted in the prior post, are really more suburban and are also more insulated, but then you're running into public transit issues in some spots.

Good luck

Its not cool to live here now and hope the bad press keeps coming so people dont get sucked in like I did.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
[/b]

Not really. I live in a very secure building and it was recently broken into. They pried the entry system off the exterior wall, fiddled with the wiring, and got the front door to open. They then broke into the concierge's room and stole a lot of packages that had just been delivered (including my Christmas present from my sister) and stole a lot of extra key fobs and unit keys that some owners leave with the concierge. They then stole the pillows off the sofa in the lobby and the fresh cut flowers and a vacuum! They tried to disable the camera system but was unable. We have very clear face pictures, plus they parked right in front of the door and we have their license plate number. This was 3 weeks ago and no one has been caught. There have also been criminals that have gained access to secure garages in a few nearby buildings, including an arsonist who has set fires in some of the garages.

Portland is experiencing a crime wave because the city leaders don't care. Although I have loved living here, recently I am beginning to reconsider. This is not a good time to move to Portland.

Wow such high crime. Unbelievable. I see now wh thees a histo in Portland/area of people being suspicious of people. Even in the "safe " places to live. I'm looking at someone funn a lot if there alone as most have kids and dogs and if people blast up the street going quite above the speed limits. I see that junk a lot more. People having no regard, its all about them.. some will even hit or not slow down if someone crosses.. this is Sherwood too ."Nice" Sherwood with such a high reputation. Nothing but a bunch of entitled whitebreads. And those people steal if they fall on hard times, some just havent lost a lot in some spots and "do fine enough". but oh wait, some do so begging with a sign, then getting back in their nice vehicle. So theft is STILL going on with high income places and people too.

Its a nice time to leave though for those who want to get the hell out. Me being one of them. Leaving Portland should be the new In thing now, its high time for it to be. Onl a fool would come here now o bu a house. and in Clackamas whos to say that because its conservative, it wont be targeted for flames again? I can see it being wiped out twice. Also not a good place to go. The whole area is messed up. If I had to recommend ONE area, it would be Gresham/Troutdale, I like the feel out there the most, dont ask I just do. Seems to be the most decent area in Portland, people dont put their noses up as much like in Clackamas or Washington and not as much as a lot of Portland as well. Thats one of the FEW good spots. and I love Tims Great Cigars too.

The trick is to move out, and dont tell people where u went. Dont expect amenities one had in Portland although if one hated it so much, I cant imagine wanting to bring Portland with them.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:52 AM

441 posts, read 440,006 times
I have lived here over 25 years and I want to move out so bad. I hate driving anyplace along the I-5 corridor the homeless camps are disgusting and unsanitary. The cost of living is getting so ridiculous. I lived a few years in Seattle and we moved to Portland because it was cheaper. I know Seattle is pretty bad too.

There are still nice areas. I live on the westside and always have. We thought about moving to downtown and I am glad we never did. We are near Tanasbourne, never had our car broken into, always feel safe walking around day or night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland