U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 AM

15 posts, read 33,257 times
Default an odd question on portland...

I've been considering a move (not for quite a few months though) and I'm curious about something. Considering the damp weather, are there a lot of snails and slugs in Portland? I have quite a severe fear of them (silly, I know) and if they pile up in the gutters, I don't think I can handle it. A few now and then won't matter. Thanks for your help. I know this sounds ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 08:58 AM

1,986 posts, read 2,890,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrows View Post
I've been considering a move (not for quite a few months though) and I'm curious about something. Considering the damp weather, are there a lot of snails and slugs in Portland?
This should answer your question - the official animal of Western Oregon:

Old 05-10-2008, 09:18 AM

2,182 posts, read 3,817,169 times
There are a lot of worms out and about but I haven't noticed excess snails and slugs unless you're looking for them. My five year old went through a snail/slug phase so we were looking for them for quite a while!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:57 AM

108 posts, read 323,896 times
Slugs we have; snails we probably have, too, but I usually only see slugs. Come face your fear

Old 05-10-2008, 10:19 AM

4,027 posts, read 12,945,798 times
The PNW is home to the largest land slugs I have ever seen... many well over eight inches long with a substantial girth.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:23 AM

2,182 posts, read 3,817,169 times
Where did you see those? All we ever saw were typical 2 inch garden slugs. My son would have died and gone to heaven seeing those!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 AM

15 posts, read 33,257 times
i didn't leave it on the screen long enough to see who posted the picture... but thanks, ass.

and thank you to everyone else. there seem to be conflicting views, so i'm just gonna go with the more positive answer and assume they aren't too bad.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 AM

6,415 posts, read 5,369,042 times
If you get off into the Cascades, you can sometimes see big slugs. I've only ever seen snails at the beach. But in town, I've only ever seen small slugs.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 AM

199 posts, read 521,419 times
A few days ago I was walking on the Marquam Hill trail (near downtown) and it was slug city. Every few hundred feet another slug. Some of these were the big, banana slugs. Some were a bit smaller but not tiny. It was weird because up to this point I'd only really seen two banana slugs since moving to the NW in October. One in Forest Park and one in the gorge. In that one day I saw about 30. Took a bunch of pictures, so maybe I'll post them to freak out sparrows ;o

Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 AM

4,629 posts, read 6,096,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrows View Post
i didn't leave it on the screen long enough to see who posted the picture... but thanks, ass.

and thank you to everyone else. there seem to be conflicting views, so i'm just gonna go with the more positive answer and assume they aren't too bad.
For goodness sakes, lighten up. Did you not get serious answers to your serious question? Might other people think the same of you for being so reactive to a silly response?

I hope you find what you're looking for in Oregon, or where ever you choose to land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland