Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:25 PM

108 posts, read 469,733 times

Advertisements

Another Floridian chiming in - I agree with the above from ksgator and milancole. I've been here 3 years now and it's been gray for most of that time, yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 PM

108 posts, read 469,733 times
Doggiebus, maybe you'd like Austin, SF, or even Denver? Some similarities between those cities & Portland, but they have better weather (in MY opinion)...just a thought.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
checar - We actually looked at Denver, and we are considering the Metro San Fran area. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 AM

879 posts, read 1,961,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
7-8 months of gloomy weather wow, longer than I actually thought.
From May-June to September-October it's usually fantastic here, though. Makes it all worthwhile, IMO. 'Course, I'm well used to it as I've never lived out of the area.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 AM

252 posts, read 952,992 times
I moved back to Portland from Phoenix AZ and the gloom has bothered me for twenty years now. If I didn't have to get a divorce to do it, I'd move back to Phoenix tomorrow. I truly think the weather is harder to deal with if you have lived somewhere else that is sunnier. Natives who have never left don't notice it nearly as much.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Gloomy is a value-judgment. If you want to say the winter months tend to be non-sunny ... or even cloudy, I'll go along with it. But, personally, I find days of winter only periodically qualify as "gloomy."

Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
I grew up in Florida and I have been here for almost two years. I am still not used to the weather and for me it is very depressing. Some people enjoy the clouds but it makes me feel tired and unmotivated. The summers here are a little cooler than winter in South Florida so to me it feels cold most of the year. Today is the first day this year I did not have to wear a jacket to walk to work. But if you really want a change I cant think of a more opposite place from Florida than Portland.

FL has the same affect on me that OR has on you.
It just shows I hate FL most of the yr with the heat and humidity so I can only like Portlands clouds and cooler weather for sure.
The glaring sun has a ****ty effect on me. If you want it you can have it tho lol plus the number of subdivisions and planned communities in this god forsaken state.
FL winter has been good this yr tho. I am happy its been cooler and had a rainy day today NTM I found a Portland State shirt in a FL goodwill. Funny circumstances there aint it?
I am from Boston area so I am used to and miss the northern rainy days and overcast only they lasted most of the summer up there lol.
I went to Portland in the summer, really liked it and everyone was outside but for me, that weather for like 3 straight days was like FL to me lol so I wasnt taking advantage of it like the residents there. Most of the time it was cool in the summer tho.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:42 AM

927 posts, read 585,638 times
Wilsonville is your best bet. It has Fry's (never failed us and we lived in Silverton and Stayton as Salem stores are too stupid to carry what we need most of the time for our computer needs). Wilsonville has Bullwinkles Fun Center for family entertainment though the last time I went there it was starting to show signs of falling apart but that was during the bad economy in 2013 when everything was falling apart. It may be different now.

DO NO live in Portland unless you do not mind being stoned and/or drunk all the time and be a brain dead CNN zombie. If you want a place for your kids to grow up in a clean environment go to either Wilsonville or Clackamas/Oregon City area.

In the 90s Oregon City was falling apart but in the Bush era they fixed their downtown up (urban renewal or something like that) and it's a lot better now and is one of the few real towns left that isn't mostly bars and (alternate) lifestyle scene stuff shoved down your throat. Hell I'd rather live in Oregon City then Silverton as Silverton is mostly bars and junk shops that come and go so fast your head will spin.

Oregon city kinda lives in a (banana belt) where weather events often hit Portland but miss them and Wilsonville doesn't have a real downtown like OC sadly BUT to make up it has lots of services close together so driving is kept minimum and it only gets snarly during rush hour from 4 to 6pm but the rest of the time traffic is navigatable and just a few miles away is rural country side and the Canby Ferry which Canby is another nice town that was falling apart in the 90s and has been fixed up since they got Freddie's built.

Anyways I hope you like whatever you make and can leave if it winds up being too much for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland