U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 26,131 times
Default Trendy Neighborhoods in Portland

Hi There,

I am a 31 year old professional moving to Portland from NYC and I wanted some advice as to what neighborhoods to live in. I am looking for some thing that is hip/trendy, with people in my age group, and close to stores etc.

I live on the Upper West Side in Manhattan and have lived in Cole Valley in San Francisco--I loved both neighborhoods and am looking for that mix in Portland.

Help!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 01:21 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,753,243 times
NW 23rd/Nob Hill area or the Pearl District.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:42 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,026,375 times
Well, oldtintype, NW 23rd is exactly what I thought of when I read this post - even before scrolliing down to see your answer.

I lived for many years on the Upper West side of Manhattan (West 75th Street, to be exact!), and NW 23rd is the one place that popped into my head! Pretty funny...

thierry3, we concur! You will probably love it there. It reminds me a bit of where you live now!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:10 PM

108 posts, read 321,118 times
Default yep

Oldtintype nailed that one, I can't think of another suggestion that even comes close.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:13 AM

14 posts, read 55,094 times
I would concur with oldintype. Nob Hill / the Pearl / Downtown would be closest to the upper west side. I lived in Greenwich village for a few years, and if you like that scene then you might check out the Hawthorne area too.

In general, Portland is so much lower population density than New York and SF that really only the areas right near downtown will have anything close to the NYC vibe.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 AM

99 posts, read 174,758 times
I moved to Portland from SF (did not live in as trendy an area as Cole Valley, but know it), and lived on the Upper West Side when I lived in NYC many years ago.

Frankly, if you are a seriously hip, trendy NY/SF type of person, you are probably going to be a bit disappointed by Portland, so keep your expectations low. I love living here, but there is nothing in Portland that has the kind of urban energy that NYC or even SF does.

NW 23rd is pleasant enough. I wouldn't call it the Upper West Side, although it is very walkable, and a nice density of shops, restaurants, coffee houses, etc. I wouldn't personally call it "hip" but that is an overused word and means different things to different people.

The Pearl district is probably the flashiest part of town. It's where the art galleries are (or at least those that can still afford the rent), and where you'll find loft style condos.

In my mind, the more truly hip parts of Portland (in the sense that Brooklyn or the Mission District in SF are hip) are east of the river - inner Southeast, Mississippi Ave. area, Alberta St. Probably not quite what you are looking for - they are a little more grungy.

So I guess I'd agree with the others the the NW 23rd area or the Pearl are your best bets - probably comes down to type of housing you want - the Pearl is newer and glitzier. NW 23rd is older, and almost "shabby genteel" in a way. Personally I like NW 23rd area better than the Pearl - I feel like the Pearl is trying too hard to be something that Portland just isn't. NW 23rd area is also a lot leafier and to me that is one of the attractions of Portland.

Just be prepared for an environment that is much, much, much, much, much, much, much more laid back than New York. You will feel like they roll the sidewalks up at about 9 pm. Sarcasm does not play here. Nor does intense discussions about anything. If you can develop a somewhat bland surface persona, learn to love rain, and get into the outdoors, you'll do fine.

If you are a true NYC type of person, I predict you will be running back there in less than 6 months

Good luck!

By the way, I actually love Portland, but it is not for everyone. My partner who is a Bay Area native, doesn't like it here, and really wants to go back.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 AM

4,629 posts, read 6,026,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kander63 View Post
I love living here, but there is nothing in Portland that has the kind of urban energy that NYC or even SF does.

NW 23rd is pleasant enough. I wouldn't call it the Upper West Side, although it is very walkable, and a nice density of shops, restaurants, coffee houses, etc. I wouldn't personally call it "hip" but that is an overused word and means different things to different people.

Just be prepared for an environment that is much, much, much, much, much, much, much more laid back than New York. You will feel like they roll the sidewalks up at about 9 pm. 9PM??? Wow, when I moved here it was more like 5PM, as soon as folks got off of work, the place was deserted. Portland's growing up, don't you think?!

Sarcasm does not play here. Nor does intense discussions about anything. If you can develop a somewhat bland surface persona, learn to love rain, and get into the outdoors, you'll do fine. --- I, too, love living here, but couldn't disagree with a single thing you've said. I did, and do, miss the intense discussions and "sarcasm" where no one gets their noses out of joint!

If you are a true NYC type of person, I predict you will be running back there in less than 6 months I came out here for a job, so never felt like 'running back.' There are things one will always - always - miss about NYC. I immediately loved how clean and beautfiul this area was, but as far as cities and neighborhoods with their own identities go, I agree, there is no comparison. Good luck! Ditto!

By the way, I actually love Portland, but it is not for everyone. My partner who is a Bay Area native, doesn't like it here, and really wants to go back.
////////////////////

Old 05-25-2008, 12:19 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 300,280 times
Agree completely with what Kander and SeeBee said, about both the neighborhoods and the character of the city.

I don't think there's anything in Portland quite like the UWS. Much of NW Portland has the same vibe as Park Slope, except with handsome foursquare Craftsman houses instead of the brownstones, of course. NW 23rd (or "Trendy-Third") is a mix of upscale catalog-style stores and boutiquey businesses, with lots of restaurants, coffeehouses, etc. as well. Rents and mortgages near there will be some of the most expensive in the city.

You will also notice the 23rd Paradox when you arrive: Everyone in Portland claims to hate it (too materialistic! too consumerist!), and yet it's packed all the time.

The Pearl (very nearby) is a recently-developed district of mid-level glass skyscrapers holding mostly condos, with street-level restaurants, shops, galleries, etc. People also claim to loathe the Pearl for the same reasons, and yet it's very popular. Go figure.

There are very few housing options in downtown proper -- a few really expensive condos, some old buildings that have been converted to Section 8, and around the university a bunch of student apartments.

You're just not gonna find half the energy or up-all-night vibe (or even an up-late vibe!) of either New York or San Francisco. If that's cool with you, you might enjoy Portland. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:30 PM

Who is "everyone" who claims to hate NW 23rd? I've heard people call it Yuppie but I haven't heard anyone dispute the cool stuff that's there.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:10 PM

Kander 63 brings up some good points. From my observations there are two main kinds of people who are unhappy with Portland. 1. People who've lived here forever and aren't happy with change or the direction the city has taken. Portland has really grown a lot in the last 10 years. 2. People who moved here from larger cities and have never gotten over the fact that Portland isn't what they left or what they assumed it would be. Number 2 also seems to be comprised of two groups--the first group recognizes that Portland is a smaller city and is what it is! They recognize they need a bigger city environment despite the extra cost. It's a PERSONAL thing, not that Portland is a terrible place. The second group is bitter and angry about what Portland isn't and can't stop comparing it to what they left. People comprised of this group can't seem to realize that if Portland WAS exactly like SF and NYC then most of us couldn't afford to live here with the quality of life we have. They are unhappy here and it's always because of the people in Portland or because Portland sucks (never about them as individuals needing a different environment).

I moved here from SF almost 9 years ago. I totally get the culture shock and smaller aspects coming from a larger city. It was very different at first but I came here looking for a place that had aspects and parts of what I liked about SF, but that was easier to live in and less stressful. I miss some parts of SF greatly, but I also really like it here. People who come here recognizing that Portland is smaller won't feel the need to compare it with bitterness to what they left. People who come(or came) here because SF and NYC are too expensive but they didn't really want to leave will be unhappy here (and that's their issue it's not because Portland is bad). It would just be nice if more people could be really objective about it like Kandor was--Portland is a great place but it's not San Francisco or NYC. Don't move here if you're looking to replace NYC (or whatever big city) with a cheaper place but not lose out on any of the sophistication--it's not possible. Portland is a small city with lots to offer but it's not NYC.

I also work a job that has me interacting with a lot of people new to the city, people born here, and people from all different areas and neighborhoods in Portland. There are stereotypes neighborhood by neighborhood, many of which are pretty accurate, but Portland is comprised of MANY different types of people and neighborhoods. I have met very few people in Portland who fit the negative stereotypes that you will read about on here. I think maybe 10% of the population of Portland gets most of the attention for some reason and suddenly that's "everyone" in Portland. I wish more people would get out and interact more with the true population of Portland, which is actually very diverse (in ideology and opinions). The everyone here is "this" and everyone here thinks "that" commentary is inaccurate at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland