Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 10:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times

Advertisements

With both being the closest locations to us, we go 2-3 times a year to Portland, a 3 hour drive, to buy some clothes at Duluth Trading, then have lunch at the Cracker Barrel, both in Jantzen Beach. Most recently we were just there in June. We just heard that the Cracker Barrel there has closed permanently, due to "security" reasons, and one article cited theft and drug use. I really haven't seen any of that in the area, have we just been lucky, or might there be another reason that they are closing? Beaverton is not that much farther, but then that traffic on 26 can be nasty.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:13 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I was reading that news on Google yesterday. That and several longtime businesses leaving downtown. One being the Credit Union I had when I lived in Portland.

I dont't think Cracker Barrel is known for closing their restaurants. Especially one that has only been there 4 years. Ive not heard reports of them closing locations in other states.. So something is up and I wouldn't be surprised, if it's the reasons the employees reported to the media.

Now I guess you will have to go to the other locations.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:32 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Jantzen Beach is difficult to access. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:46 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Jantzen Beach is difficult to access. It doesn't surprise me at all.
Well, it is not THAT difficult to access. It's right off the freeway.

Problem is, it isn't really a good location. Portlanders aren't going to dine there because that means getting caught in the north-bound Vancouver commuter traffic on I-5 which is sucky every evening. And besides, there are about a thousand better dining options in Portland than some ersatz "southern" chain restaurant. Who wants to get stuck in 25 min of stop and go traffic on I-5 at 6 pm just to get to Cracker Barrel.

And it isn't really a compelling stopover for longer distance travelers along I-5. They are more likely to stop at one of the other exits that has more happening in the way of gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc. Like Tualatin or Wilsonville further south or Hazel Dell further north where there is just a lot more options. If you are driving up I-5 you don't get to Jantzen Beach and say "oh, this is a good exit to stop at for gas and dining"

Most Cracker Barrels are in more suburban locations around the country. It would have been a better fit to put it someplace like Ridgefield or Wilsonville. Or even Longview/Kelso or Salem/Keizer.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
... you don't get to Jantzen Beach and say "oh, this is a good exit to stop at for gas and dining"

Most Cracker Barrels are in more suburban locations around the country. It would have been a better fit to put it someplace like Ridgefield or Wilsonville. Or even Longview/Kelso or Salem/Keizer.
or next to Woodburn factory outlets, where similar food choices are limited. Or near a truckstop / multiple fuel / hotel choices (Troutdale)

One would have to know the Cracker Barrel actual revenue model, and if it fits that location's parameters. (whether it be travelers / locals / regional retirees...). I haven't been to a CB for over 30 yrs, and no interest in returning. Seems it would be a tough business to capture the flow of customers it would take to cash flow high rents, inventory (especially fresh food), floor space, and salaries.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:22 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,835 times
Here's a recent YouTube video that addresses some plausible reasons (e.g. crime and security) why Cracker Barrel closed shop in Portland:

https://youtu.be/OmAvPwSGc1Y

Quote:
A Portland Cracker Barrel abruptly shut down this week, with employees reporting that the closure is due to security issues in the area.

"There's a lot of theft," local man Steve Goodwin told KGW when news of the closure spread in town. "People on drugs."

Cracker Barrel confirmed to Fox News Digital on Wednesday that its location at the Jantzen Beach mall shuttered, explaining the company made the decision after evaluating "the performance" of the store.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Well, it is not THAT difficult to access. It's right off the freeway.

Problem is, it isn't really a good location. Portlanders aren't going to dine there because that means getting caught in the north-bound Vancouver commuter traffic on I-5 which is sucky every evening. And besides, there are about a thousand better dining options in Portland than some ersatz "southern" chain restaurant. Who wants to get stuck in 25 min of stop and go traffic on I-5 at 6 pm just to get to Cracker Barrel.

And it isn't really a compelling stopover for longer distance travelers along I-5. They are more likely to stop at one of the other exits that has more happening in the way of gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc. Like Tualatin or Wilsonville further south or Hazel Dell further north where there is just a lot more options. If you are driving up I-5 you don't get to Jantzen Beach and say "oh, this is a good exit to stop at for gas and dining"

That's why we like it, cross the bridge and it's the first exit. Maybe not enough visitors from Washington since Covid.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
the company made the decision after evaluating "the performance" of the store.
Stores tend to lose customers when they are afraid of being accosted in the parking lot, or their vehicles get stolen while dining. Rough for employees to feel safe opening / closing / parking...

Just a few hours ago I was a retailer near that Cracker Barrel site. Ironically, it was the first time I used "The Club" steering wheel lock device in 20+ yrs to protect my $35 car from getting stolen. It's a lot of trouble to find a replacement car or repair broken windows. Neighbor's pickup was stolen and a grocery store in Vancouver last week.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:04 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Stores tend to lose customers when they are afraid of being accosted in the parking lot, or their vehicles get stolen while dining. Rough for employees to feel safe opening / closing / parking...

Just a few hours ago I was a retailer near that Cracker Barrel site. Ironically, it was the first time I used "The Club" steering wheel lock device in 20+ yrs to protect my $35 car from getting stolen. It's a lot of trouble to find a replacement car or repair broken windows. Neighbor's pickup was stolen and a grocery store in Vancouver last week.
With defunding the police, and liberal judges EVERYWHERE, I'm more and more convinced that crime DOES pay!

Old 08-17-2022, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
With defunding the police, and liberal judges EVERYWHERE, I'm more and more convinced that crime DOES pay!
As in $22m?
The catalytic converters had an estimated value of more than $22 million

Police: Portland area crime ring trafficked 44,000 stolen catalytic converters; 14 indicted

https://www.opb.org/pf/article/2022/...rs-trafficked/

Likely some of these 44,000 stolen CC's came from the Cracker Barrel parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland