Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 19,198 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My son just rented an apartment on SW Alice St in Portland. He's a college student. It's right off Barbur Blvd past the Terwilliger curves. Is that a very safe area?

Thanks...any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 01:40 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
To the best of my knowledge there are no issues. The City of Portland has a website that shows what kinds of complaints are filed on a map.

Give your son the same advice that you would give in any community: stay away from bars (particularly late at night), take care about the company you keep. Don't use drugs or alcohol to excess. Don't leave anything of value in your car.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 19,198 times
Thanks for the reply! I actually found a site that had statistics about the area. It doesn't seem to bad! He's been there for three weeks now and all seems to be going well!! He's been enjoying the area.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:25 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,186 times
We have good friends who live there. It's pretty safe, but you do have to be careful and take common-sense precautions. Lock your doors at night, lock up your car, etc. Bicycles do get stolen a lot, don't lock it up on your porch, bring it into the garage, and lock the garage.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:48 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janierunaway View Post
Thanks for the reply! I actually found a site that had statistics about the area. It doesn't seem to bad! He's been there for three weeks now and all seems to be going well!! He's been enjoying the area.
Sorry, I just noticed your post! So hope this still may be helpful to you.

What a good mom! Do you have Google Earth? It shows SW Alice and the surrounding areas rather well (I checked). If you plug in his address you might be able to get a view of his apartment bldg or house, since that area seems to be well-mapped.

This version of Google Earth I have is free. Once you input an address there's a section called Street View. You can manipulate the pic from there, looking at both sides of the street, travel back and forth on the street, etc.

A lot of Portland proper has been mapped by Google in this way. (As well as many other places in the world...the system even lets you take a 'fly' through of the Grand Canyon!).

FYI, just in case you didn't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland