Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 10:59 AM

7,522 posts, read 3,236,257 times

Advertisements

If you have to live without a car you need to ask yourself how much you want to have to deal with the homeless. You can live in the suburbs right on the light rail system and be downtown in minutes (and therefore deal with it when you want to instead of having to deal with it 24/7). Things are improving; but, we're not there yet. Also, if you ever want to be a homeowner I am not sure it is the greatest move at this point. If I were young I'd head to the Great Lakes states where you can still own a house and that will be an even better place to ride out climate change. If you move here and love it you may regret not being able to get into the housing market (and be poorer over a lifetime). Yes, you can move around when young, but, you are going to be delaying your life goals (and others are not delaying and eventually that catches up with you and do not want to have any regrets).

Before I moved I did an analysis of wages compared to home prices. At the time home prices were depressed and I moved to Portland with a job and bought a house 2 weeks later (so I didn't have to watch the prices skyrocket while I was sitting on the sidelines). I'm not sure where that analysis would have me move now (because I'm locked in and don't need that analysis). Why move to a high cost of living area? If you're going to do that go somewhere that you can double your salary... Like a very large metropolitan area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 07:46 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Why? Portland has an excellent mobile bus and light rail-based junkie storage system
There, fixed it for you.

Old 12-10-2022, 03:23 PM

83 posts, read 181,489 times
If you live in central Portland and work and play in central Portland, you can probably do ok on the bus/light rail system. Otherwise I'd suggest having a car. Besides, do you really just want to go just where Trimet can take you?

Old 12-10-2022, 04:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
or... carshare or rent when you need a car.
Turo
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/trans...article/627619
https://www.free2move.com/en-US/pres...ase-2021-03-09
https://www.zipcar.com/portland

or...
https://driveawayhunger.org/buy-a-car/

or...
I buy my cars at Sergeants, Road One, or Speeds towing auctions sometimes less than $100. (They have auctions every week.)

Old 12-10-2022, 05:13 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumauslo View Post
If you live in central Portland and work and play in central Portland, you can probably do ok on the bus/light rail system. Otherwise I'd suggest having a car. Besides, do you really just want to go just where TriMet can take you?
This right here. It always amazes me when people from the East Coast or Chicago with their superior public transportation move out West and think they can do without a car. Uber and Lyft take some of the pressure off but it's very expensive.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:57 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This right here. It always amazes me when people from the East Coast or Chicago with their superior public transportation move out West and think they can do without a car. Uber and Lyft take some of the pressure off but it's very expensive.
I believe that Portland is above Chicago on that list that I posted. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but they are both top tier cities for public transit. Nobody without a car should have a problem moving from Chicago to Portland.

Now if you are talking about the entire state of Oregon, that is another matter. Outside of Portland and Eugene, you are going to have problems if you don't have a car. I wish Oregon would create a statewide bus system, like what Colorado has. Then even without a car you could get most anywhere in the state.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:58 PM

7,522 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I believe that Portland is above Chicago on that list that I posted. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but they are both top tier cities for public transit. Nobody without a car should have a problem moving from Chicago to Portland.

Now if you are talking about the entire state of Oregon, that is another matter. Outside of Portland and Eugene, you are going to have problems if you don't have a car. I wish Oregon would create a statewide bus system, like what Colorado has. Then even without a car you could get most anywhere in the state.

We do have Amtrak.

https://www.amtrak.com/northwest-train-routes

Old 12-10-2022, 07:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
And regional bus transportation,. Such as $40/yr unlimited Columbia River Gorge service, covering both WA and Oregon side of the river.
https://gorgetranslink.com/transit-a...-area-transit/

That's less than the cost of one tank of gas.

But not as cheap as the BoltBus ... $1 PDX to Seattle...+ Free WiFi!... Ceased during covid. Too bad, hopefully it will return.

Taking the train to Vancouver BC is a nice route. As well as Columbia River Gorge Amtrak to Spokane and on east to Idaho and Montana.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-10-2022 at 07:25 PM..

Old 12-10-2022, 07:21 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
You are absolutely correct. I should have remembered how good the transit system in Portland actually is. It could be even better but it is definitely possible to get around without a car. I was thinking too much about the west in general, particularly California except for San Francisco. I lived there for many years, several without a car.

That's interesting about Colorado. Will have to look that up.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:53 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Amtrak is not statewide. Where is it going to get you? Portland, Eugene and Klamath Falls? That is not statewide.

I'm talking about for example a bus route on US-101. Right now if you want to take a bus from Astoria to Brookings on the Oregon Coast, you can theoretically do it. If you want to transfer to five different transit systems. Most of which are space available and require a reservation at least 24 hours in advance. Actually I'm wrong you can't do it, even if you wanted to. I just looked at Google Transit. Apparently there is a missing link somewhere up on the North Coast. So you would have to take a bus from Astoria to Portland, then take Amtrak to Eugene, then take three more busses to get to Brookings. It would take you more than 24 hours. So 2 days to make what could be a single 7 or 8 hour bus ride.

That is not efficient bus transportation and is not likely to attract anyone except the most absolut desperate riders. The state needs to take that bus service over and provide thru bus service like they have everywhere else.

Take a look for yourself and tell me that is not complete insanity.

Astoria to Brookings - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland