U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:43 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,650,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
jeez....another person claiming its crappy here w/no sun for 9months.....sigh....

I don't understand why locals continue to feel like they need to deny the very definite fact that it is grey here for a very large amount of time. It's like someone trying to argue that it isn't hot in Texas because the winters can have ice storms, or someone denying it's humid in Florida. It *IS* grey here. If it's sunny 2 days out of a month in winter, that doesn't mean there's occasional sunshine. 9 months is definitely an exaggeration, but 7 is not. Granted it's been an exceptionally rainy year this year, but here we are in June and it's still drizzling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM

409 posts, read 1,657,393 times
one thing about the gray that people not from the wet northwest climes don't understand is that you don't miss the blue sky so much because UNDERNEATH the gray skies are rainbows of green.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM

2,096 posts, read 8,056,764 times
ummmmm... the op said 9, not 7...so 9 was in my retort.....
also, if you look, i did mention we get more rain/gray....and that there are many overcast days....
im not stuck in some PollyAnna state of mind where I think its sunny/clear the majority of the time...but I do (and I know there are others) notice the days/weeks/months where is is sunny/clear.
yes, people moving here need to be aware that our weather is very different than, oh, say Texas or New Mexico...that yes, as I said before, it is overcast here/rains more, than it does in many other states.
But people should also be able to hear the flip side of the coin, that it is NOT rain/gloom/gray/doom for 9 solid months. That they need to know, that just like in a broken relationship, some people can only see, and will exaggerate, the negatives where theyre not happy.
and didnt we just a few short weeks ago, break records for scorching hot days??

Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 PM

845 posts, read 2,428,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
one thing about the gray that people not from the wet northwest climes don't understand is that you don't miss the blue sky so much because UNDERNEATH the gray skies are rainbows of green.
There are also rainbows of green in the southeast and they dont have grey skies. The NW isnt the only place with green trees.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:52 PM

108 posts, read 422,533 times
John Shaft, you are perfectly logical but it is a losing battle. They will say something like, "of course our weather is different from Texas/Florida/New Mexico/Arizona/Florida" listing the sunniest places in the country to assist their argument. However, as posted on another thread recently, about 85% of the U.S. is sunnier than Portland. It's not only the sunniest places that are sunnier. It bothers some people and doesn't bother others, but the fact remains. Just because it doesn't bother you personally doesn't mean it isn't a fact. Stating the facts is not complaining - it's simply stating the facts.

P.S. Vitamin D is not a bad idea. But it won't help people like myself who enjoy the simple pleasure of spending time outdoors basking in sunlight as I garden, watch my son play, etc. It's a personal preference, and it's a big reason why I'm looking to relocate.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:10 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,149,508 times
In the PNW the gloom can get to you. In New England the winters can get to you. In the South the hot humid summers can get to you. And so on. No place is perfect. You live where you live for more than the weather, I hope.

When the gloom and doom in Portland or Seattle got too much for me (not too often but there were times I just wanted to see the sun!), I'd schedule a trip over the mountains. High desert = lots of sunshine.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 PM

769 posts, read 1,967,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
In the PNW the gloom can get to you. In New England the winters can get to you. In the South the hot humid summers can get to you. And so on. No place is perfect. You live where you live for more than the weather, I hope.

When the gloom and doom in Portland or Seattle got too much for me (not too often but there were times I just wanted to see the sun!), I'd schedule a trip over the mountains. High desert = lots of sunshine.
That bolded part seems to indicate that it can get really depressing there. Sorry, man.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:16 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,149,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
That bolded part seems to indicate that it can get really depressing there. Sorry, man.
It's no different from the mass exodus here in MA every Feb/Mar/April to Florida, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, etc., to escape the months and months of bone-chilling cold and snow. The difference is that it's a lot easier AND CHEAPER to drive over the mountains than it is to take a family of 5 on a Carribean vacation.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 AM

769 posts, read 1,967,887 times
Oh, okay. Cool.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:28 AM

1,572 posts, read 5,507,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Very true. There will always be aspects of a city's climate/weather to complain about. Except maybe San Diego. But then, it's the obscenely high home prices that get to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or