U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,299 times

Advertisements

My question is not related to weather, about is about pets in the city. My daughter and I are relocating and we have a dog and a couple of cats. Cats, by nauture, tend to wander a bit, and I worry about their safety. For example, if one were to wonder into a neighbors yard, would they be at risk. I have lived in some areas of the country were folks are a bit hostile towards pets. Thank you

* I am new to this forum, so maybe I should have posted this in a different catagory, many apologies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 05:52 AM

40 posts, read 108,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Pippa--

your "truth" about Portland isn't everyone's truth. I hope that your find your paradise.

Well put.

Truth be told, the winters here are much milder than many other places in the country, i.e., much more bearable. And the summer & fall weather simply can't be beat. Anyone that can't find something to do, appreciate & enjoy here, must have their eyes closed, or be a very negative person. There are so many things to do year round.

If I were unhappy living somewhere, I would simply go somewhere else and find what does make me happy, rather than remain & complain.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 8,065,831 times
Yeah NWKat! a fellow happy person. horray.
Woodlawn, Ive had kitties most of my life. Both in and around Portland, and the burbs. We've never had any issues. Theyve all lived long and healthy lives w/o harm from others and they were for the most part, outdoor kitties. the only cruelty any of mine came under, was from my very mean exhusband. And thats just because it was my kitty and he wanted to hurt me. Soo......
My last kitty lived in ForestGrove, then Beaverton, then Multnohma Village and was an outdoor kitty. He lived to be 19yrs old.
my daughters kitty is 5 and again, mostly outdoor, and besides a messy problem w/getting into some sticky brambles and henceforth, needing to be shaved bald, hasnt come to any harm.
the biggie you want to look out for is traffic...make sure kitty is up to date on all shots and has been fixed and you should be pretty good to go.
I cant say for sure, because maybe you might end up next door to a cat hater who will come after your furry, but my experiences have all been fine.
Best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM

9 posts, read 25,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
where are you now and can i move into your garage tomorrow? PLEASE!!!!!

Great , another whiner , take your "low energy" and "vibrate" yourself right on out of here.....

Old 06-09-2008, 11:08 PM

27 posts, read 81,978 times
Pippa's truth may not be everyones but she/he is not in the minority. The weather here is depressing. And not everyone can adjust to having rain/clouds for most of the year. My sister tried it and had to go on light therapy. She now lives in Phoenix. I went with wine, but that's not a great solution either. I am on my way out too. Portland is a wonderful city but the weather isn't for everyone. It is great for people with sun allergies, but I need sun. Come on, it's mid June and my heat still kicks in!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:51 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,698,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Very true. There will always be aspects of a city's climate/weather to complain about. Except maybe San Diego. But then, it's the obscenely high home prices that get to you...
Yes, the obscenely high home prices and the fact that water availability is going to be a big issue in the future.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:15 PM

31 posts, read 161,868 times
I came from Minnesota - humid and cold. Now I live in Arizona - GREAT in the winter and HOT for 5 months in the summer. Want to trade houses? I miss the greenery and the cooler weather - gives me more energy! Have a brother in portland so I visit in the summer for a few weeks !!! That is my GREEN fix for the year!!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 PM

268 posts, read 1,079,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
jeez....another person claiming its crappy here w/no sun for 9months.....sigh....
The only ones stuck inside for 9 months out of 12 here are the ones that do it by choice. yes, we get more rain/gray skies than our sister states to the south and to the East. But we also have many glorious days in between. And many of these overcast days, you can go all day w/o any rain at all, thus, go outside and still get some filtered sun. Heck, theres enough coming through that I had a dermatologist recommend to wear sunscreen still on overcast days.
No, Portland isnt for everyone. And if you expect/need 300days of hot sunshine and cloudless days, then Portland is NOT for you.
For people that suffer from SAD, you'll either need something extra, or Portland is not for you. (probably)
It never fails to amaze me, the people that chose to move here, loving the green and the abundance of growth (trees/flowers/brush/etc.) That are in awe of our many many lakes/rivers/streams/creeks/ponds/etc. and then, turn around and freak out about the rain. And to add insult, exaggerate it.
Please do take Tesaje's advice and put the jacket on, go outside.
Its not like we're snowed in here... Join one of the many walking/jogging groups that are in abundance in the area. Certainly a great many of people are getting outside and enjoying it. Why not try joining them?
Tiffany
I love it!!! As a new transplant nearing my one year anniversary, I'm convinced that people overexaggerate the weather here to keep people from relocating!!!
The hilarious thing is that my husband and I breezed through the winter and thought it was nowhere near as gray/rainy as we had imagined it would be and then the neighbor told us in spring that it was a much rainier winter than usual!! Bring on the typical winter, I say!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 AM

2,096 posts, read 8,065,831 times
YEAH!!! Im so glad to hear your positive experience BabyColeSlaw,and how Oregon is working out so well for you and yours. Your neighbor is right you know, I cant remember when the chilliness has hung on so long, into JUNE!!?!!? Another sign of global warming? But Im hoping we'll have an extended summer here, we usually go into Oct or so, but lets see what happens.
anyhow, thanks so much for your post! Its really terrific especially coming from someone whos moved here from a different state, to get your thoughts on the weather. Glad to hear your happy!
Tiffany

Old 06-13-2008, 06:56 PM

7 posts, read 22,849 times
Hi all, I lived in Portland as a child, then we moved to a suburb outside of Chicago. I moved back to Portland, but unfortunately only for 7 months. Family obligations dragged me back.

I probably wasn't there long enough to have any real input, but I thought it was a beautiful city and surroundings. It rained almost the whole time I was there (granted it was winter), but I didn't let that bother me. I knew that without all of that rain, there wouldn't the beautiful greenery that I enjoyed so much.

You just have to take the good with the bad and no that there is a reason for eveything. I plan to move back in a few years.

Here is Chicagoland, it is not raining, it is hot and muggy, there are no mountains in the background, no blooming trees, no roses in December, no smell of moss and earth. Yes, we don't have the rain, but we also don't have the beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or