U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:36 PM

6,343 posts, read 8,516,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Anyway, I have always thought the debate about weather is silly. It's like arguing which color is better; red or blue. In other words it's a very subjective thing. Situations like jobs, the cost of living, livability etc are far more important.

EXACTLY! When I tell people I want to move to Seattle, they don't say "got a job lined up?" or "know any body over there?" Instead, the first thing they say is "but it rains there allot, right?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 AM

9,602 posts, read 9,477,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
EXACTLY! When I tell people I want to move to Seattle, they don't say "got a job lined up?"
Maybe they should. I don't think Portland has any worse a job market than anywhere else. Why would that be? Good jobs are hard to find, period. I haven't found NYC to be that great in the job market front and just spent thousands of dollars upgrading my IT certifications to become more competitive. In your field VP you will find work in PDX or in Seattle. I think you will find the living in PDX just a tad easier but thats just me. Anyone not in IT, Allied Health, the usual hot industries OR in a service trade is going to find getting and keeping employment a tough go in just about every American city right now. Oregon does not have the market cornered on unemployment and slow economy. Oh, BTW Minervah, blue is better (unless its a sports car).

H

Old 06-30-2008, 07:06 PM

8,178 posts, read 18,067,650 times
Then, go put on a jacket and go outside for a couple of hours each day. A walk will do you good. It's not that cold in Portland in winter

That is the best part of Portland and the whole west coast. It is NOT that cold in the winter. Maybe now in late June ,we can sort of have amnesia & forget about the freezing winds and icy snows of winters in the east, but they will be back ...........

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM

268 posts, read 1,080,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
YEAH!!! Im so glad to hear your positive experience BabyColeSlaw,and how Oregon is working out so well for you and yours. Your neighbor is right you know, I cant remember when the chilliness has hung on so long, into JUNE!!?!!? Another sign of global warming? But Im hoping we'll have an extended summer here, we usually go into Oct or so, but lets see what happens.
anyhow, thanks so much for your post! Its really terrific especially coming from someone whos moved here from a different state, to get your thoughts on the weather. Glad to hear your happy!
Tiffany
No problem...What is not to like about this area??? We recently took visiting family to the Gorge, Timberline, the vineyards and the Coast. It was beautiful weather but I missed the gray a bit...
I am completely and utterly blessed!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:28 PM

145 posts, read 425,339 times
I grew up in Portland, it is a really cool city. I am one of those who cant take all the grey and rain. After 47 yrs I left the NW. I am now in Albuquerque The weather is fantastic. The complete lack of any appreciable culture is very hard though.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 PM

22 posts, read 63,469 times
Here's an idea for anyone who hates the weather here:

live in Arizona or Florida during our "grey" time and come back in late June through early October...man, the summers here are awesome!!

LOL

Old 01-29-2010, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,407 times
hi, Portlanders-So I've been doing research on moving to Portland for about a year. And it's sort of funny, I've heard the overall mentality towards Californians is really negative, but I'm a Southerner. Granted, I don't have a Southern accent and am certainly not inbred and am moderately intelligent, I've never read any thread comments on the attitude toward Southern people. My concern isn't the weather. It's the job market, the cost of living and the overall attitude to someone from Georgia. (Which I do not pronouce Gaw-gah.)

Old 01-29-2010, 03:26 AM

333 posts, read 697,224 times
Alec, you might want to repost your question in its own thread - this one is all about the weather. Still good questions...I have some experience with what you are asking. I find Portland to be by far the most Southern tolerant city and I've lived in many corners around the US. BUT even though you think you don't have an accent - I don't compared to others when I visit home - you likely will be perceived as having one, a very strong one, by people here. Let's just say I get comments. But when I talk to those in the South they tell me I talk like a Yankee. The Portland difference is that they don't hold it against you

Old 01-29-2010, 04:15 PM

216 posts, read 826,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
If you are looking for a place with a low vibrational energy that you can really learn to like, then come to Portland. If you do the math, it's pretty easy:

lack of sunlight 9 months out of the year=low vibrational energy

At least we will have nicer/healthier skin; sun does cause wrinkles and skin cancer! Just a positive note to throw in there.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 PM

39 posts, read 106,824 times
Sun isn't everything, we had sun this week but it was -20 here. You can't go out and enjoy it anyway, so it might as well not be there. Put on a raincoat and go and enjoy the fact that you can go outside year around without getting frostbite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or