U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 PM

27 posts, read 70,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
does this sum it up?

Light is nourishment to the body. It is essential that we receive light into our bodies everyday. But instead, we have become a sociey of staying indoors most of the time, particularly when we live in northern climates. This blocks some portion of the full spectrum of light which starves a part of our body. Light enters our body primarily through the eyes (about 90%), and also via the skin. Light stimulates and supports the important endocrine system as well as the immune system and organs of the body. The visible spectrum as well as infrared and ultraviolet light are essential for the complete health of the body. It has been shown that 2 hours of indirect sunlight everyday create healthier bodies and emotional wellbeing.
We get about 360 days of rain/sleet/snow ! Pitiful. You are absolutely right sunlight is vitally important to HEALTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,080 times
Long dark days are the reason SAD lights were invented and natural-spectrum lightbulbs. I lived in Portland for one winter and had no problem. I then moved to Alaska for 4 years, and the dark, short winter days were absolute misery. It took SAD lights, antidepressants, meditation, exercise, and just about everything else you can think of to get through the winters.

The summers on the other hand....paradise.

I then moved to Las Vegas, and found that the sun is absolutely toxic to me...like the poster with sarcoidosis, I also have an autoimmune condition which is rather nasty and will likely kill me, especially if I do things to exacerbate it, like spend time in the sun. So, I'll take the dark winters, gray days, and just use SAD lights and natural-spectrum lightbulbs. They work...I promise. And, just remind yourself...you could be in Alaska where the sun rises at about 11 in the winter and sets at 3:30. Talk about dark, gray weather....Or in vegas where it is so hot the pavement melts and sticks to your shoes, and the sun is so hot and bright it is physically painful to open your eyes outdoors.

Everywhere is better then where we are--old Russian proverb.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM

51,102 posts, read 29,187,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietgingerale View Post
I then moved to Las Vegas, and found that the sun is absolutely toxic to me...like the poster with sarcoidosis, I also have an autoimmune condition which is rather nasty and will likely kill me, especially if I do things to exacerbate it, like spend time in the sun. So, I'll take the dark winters, gray days, and just use SAD lights and natural-spectrum lightbulbs. They work...I promise. And, just remind yourself...you could be in Alaska where the sun rises at about 11 in the winter and sets at 3:30. Talk about dark, gray weather....Or in vegas where it is so hot the pavement melts and sticks to your shoes, and the sun is so hot and bright it is physically painful to open your eyes outdoors.

Everywhere is better then where we are--old Russian proverb.
LOL.. Regarding the bolded part of your quoted message, that sounds like an exaggeration. I've lived in Phoenix most of my life and even when it's 115 degrees outside in July, pavement doesn't melt and stick to your shoes.

About Oregon weather, I did live in Tigard from early October of 1995, until early February of 1997, and other than the abundance of rain you get, the "gray seasons" aren't really as brutal as they are in some other places, like Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, or the Dakotas, at least not in the western portion of Oregon, west of of the Cascades.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:28 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,554,226 times
In '95 I was diagnosed with SAD at OHSU and prescribed a light-box to use. Didn't find it helpful. So I said "screw that!" and it's been in storage ever since. I take lots of vacations to sunny places instead ~ especially in spring when I have the hardest time. Fall, too.

I, myself, believe in natural sunlight (although I do take D tablets).

Last edited by Bluesmama; 02-19-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 PM

73 posts, read 195,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
In '95 I was diagnosed with SAD at OHSU and prescribed a light-box to use. Didn't find it helpful. So I said "screw that!" and it's been in storage ever since.
I'd love to buy your light box and see if it works for me! From what I've heard it helps some and not others!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:00 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,636,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
In '95 I was diagnosed with SAD at OHSU and prescribed a light-box to use. Didn't find it helpful. So I said "screw that!" and it's been in storage ever since. I take lots of vacations to sunny places instead ~ especially in spring when I have the hardest time. Fall, too.

I, myself, believe in natural sunlight (although I do take D tablets).
Exact same experience as my husband and his diagnosis when we lived there.
It did not help him. He has to have natural sunlight.
And unlike MAGNUM MIKE, he has an easier time with grey days in the midwest then he did in Oregon, not sure why.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 PM

51,102 posts, read 29,187,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Exact same experience as my husband and his diagnosis when we lived there.
It did not help him. He has to have natural sunlight.
And unlike MAGNUM MIKE, he has an easier time with grey days in the midwest then he did in Oregon, not sure why.
I never lived in the midwest, I'm an Arizona native, and I have an easier time with 115 degrees in July (no humidity) .... But we see gray skies and rain too, in fact it was raining today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or