U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2008, 01:10 AM

5 posts, read 18,945 times
Default Growing Plants in Oregon

Okay, so my husband and I just moved to the Portland area from Las Vegas. We love it, but I am so blind as to what to do with plants!!! I absolutely love my perennials, etc... but I would love to plant some tomatoes. It is June 6th and I would like to place some in a 5-8 gallon pot. This sounds so stupid...but, do tomatoes need a lot of sun here in Oregon or are they okay in the shade with all of the rain? I've never planted them, but adore them on our fabulous salads. Also, can anyone recommend where to go to find the best heirlooms for our money? Thanks! - Lost in Lake Oswego
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,260,389 times
Tomatoes need a lot of sun just about anywhere and about an inch of water a week. They are a tropical plant. I have friends in Portland and she puts her tomatoes on the south side of the house in a break where there is sun most of the day. Full sun is best. I think a minimum is 8 hours a day. Mix about a tablespoon of Epsom salts into the soil - prevents blossom end rot. Don't know where you get them there. She also grows the most beautiful Romaine lettuces.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 AM

73 posts, read 204,199 times
There's a great book by Steve Solomon: "Growing vegetables west of the Cascades." It offers advice that is tailored to our climate.

Amazon.com description

Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 AM

792 posts, read 1,347,681 times
Welcome to the northwest. my tomato's 2 kinds of cherry are in large pots on the south-east side of our house do great...Put them in a good high end potting soil,use tomato cages and get them going now....Your local nurseries can help you with all of the above..I'm also trying for the first time in window boxes a tumbling tomato plant, the furit is small like cherry tomatos, will be fun to see how they do..
On gardening up here talk to people , ask questions, buy a copy of sunset western gardener,and enjoy the the norwest
Happy gardening

Old 06-07-2008, 01:33 PM

746 posts, read 2,811,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logardner View Post
Okay, so my husband and I just moved to the Portland area from Las Vegas. We love it, but I am so blind as to what to do with plants!!! I absolutely love my perennials, etc... but I would love to plant some tomatoes. It is June 6th and I would like to place some in a 5-8 gallon pot. This sounds so stupid...but, do tomatoes need a lot of sun here in Oregon or are they okay in the shade with all of the rain? I've never planted them, but adore them on our fabulous salads. Also, can anyone recommend where to go to find the best heirlooms for our money? Thanks! - Lost in Lake Oswego
Hmmmm...what kind of plants? They grow lots of interesting things in Portland, and some are even legal!

Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM

5,323 posts, read 4,052,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logardner View Post
...but, do tomatoes need a lot of sun here in Oregon or are they okay in the shade with all of the rain? I've never planted them, but adore them on our fabulous salads.
As was said, tomatoes are high light, high moisture plants. The thing to keep in mind is that (hopefully) the weather west of the Cascade's will turn the corner any day now and all this cloudy, rainy, cool weather will give way to predominantly sunny skies. You will need to do the raining on those tomatoes as mother nature will be keeping the light on for you. I've been reading Mel Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" in anticipation. I've never grown veggies before either, but I had houseplants by the ton prior to my move here. Looking to get those going again too. Locate a nearby garden center and see whats on offer. Sometimes farmers markets can be a source of seedling flats. Good luck.

H

Old 06-07-2008, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 18,945 times
Smile Tomoatoes in Portland

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I just went and got the Western Sunset edition and my husband and I are just finishing up with our gardening!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 PM

6,056 posts, read 6,603,633 times
We use a green sleeve around tomato plants that is made of tubes we fill with water. It holds the heat in at night until the warm weather is well established. It has made a ton of difference in plant productivity. Also, always pick early varieties.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 35,734 times
For tomatoes, try 'Oregon Spring'. They were developed by Oregon State University, I believe, and should do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland