Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 04:26 PM

67 posts, read 289,610 times

Advertisements

My husbands family is from Portland area, and all live there except his mom and dad. I also have many friends in the area. He works for Intel in California, and we are thinking of transfering to Portland. Cost of living in California is impossible... We ask his family about things, but they want us to move, so I'm not sure they tell the whole truth. lol!

So, what is Hillsboro like? We can spend about 280 on a house. Can you get a nice family home around there for that? Are the schools good? Is there another town that is close enough to Intel there, that would be better?

Also, I have had some issues with depression, and my husband is affraid the weather would get me down. I admit, I do start to feel a little low energy in the middle of winter here... But I love the green of Portland. I grew up in far Northern California, and I miss the beauty. The spawling city/burbs here is so ugly! Beauty matters to me... So. What are the winters really like? How is the weather? Do you get used to it?

Any info would be sooo great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 01:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
We can spend about 280 on a house. Can you get a nice family home around there for that? Yes.
Are the schools good? Yes (hearsay).
Is there another town that is close enough to Intel there, that would be better? No.

How is the weather? Do you get used to it? Yes (YMMV).

Old 07-04-2008, 10:56 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Were I you I would see someone about that depression and attempt to identify contributing factors before making the move. No need to add the stress of a move to other issues.

There is no doubt that housing around OR Intel is less expensive than Santa Clara County. Intel may adjust wages, in part, to account for that. Ask your husband to check with their HR.

Based on your comment I assume you are a renter now. Unless the rents are being jacked up where you are there is no reason housing-cost-wise to move as house selling prices are softening in the Portland metro area.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:42 PM

13 posts, read 37,164 times
Having worked formerly at Intel (both OR, ME and CA), I strongly recommend moving to Oregon. I left Intel by my own accord as I decided not to take a permanent relocation to CA. Intel OR (whether its Aloha, JF, HF, RA) is far better than CA.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:38 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
So, what is Hillsboro like?
Small city, mixed income, strong Hispanic/Asian presence, bustling. Airport can be loud. Traffic can get slow crossing the city. Convenient shopping and services, good public transport, especially MAX.

We can spend about 280 on a house. Can you get a nice family home around there for that?

Check out the regional multiple listing service. "Nice" is subjective-- you need to look at pictures of homes to see for yourself.

Are the schools good?

Not too bad. The state of Oregon keeps score of schools, dropout rates, math scores, etc. -- google that for the stats.

Is there another town that is close enough to Intel there, that would be better?

"Better" is subjective. I like Forest Grove, its quaint and quiet. Beaverton has good schools and more shopping. Bethany and Cedar Mill are very middle class and suburban. Cornelius is cheaper.

What are the winters really like?

Overcast and rainy. Temps generally above freezing.

How is the weather?

See above. There's a joke to the effect that you could replace the weathermen with a screen that says "forecast partly cloudy, temps in the '50's, chance of rain" and be right about 80% of the time.

Do you get used to it?

No.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
If cost of living were the only issue I and my SO had with NYC I daresay we couldn't justify the incredible risk of a cross-country relocation nor a cross-state-border relocation for that matter. NYC cost of living is an order of magnitude worse than CA and millions of people live there on less than $30k. Not well, mind you, but you get the idea. You can live in CA despite what you think is an impossible COL so forget that as a valid reason for getting away. You will be miserable and when you start the "I want to go back home" your DH will become miserable (if he wasn't already). My earlier post is still true as far as it goes but only if your reasons for wanting to come to Oregon were based on Oregon's intrinsics.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland