Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I am sure they don't, officially. That is why sundown laws was in quotes. In the hearts and minds of 'some' Oregonians, however, such laws should never have been repealed so they are enforcing them unofficially.
H
I think this is how alot of people in America think. It's illegal to exclude residents based on race, but it doesn't mean opinions won't change. Sometimes I wish I was eight years old again. At that age I didn't know anything about racial tensions and the subject of race hardly on the brain. But former President Ike Eisenhower said that changing laws can't change a man's heart. He was right. Eisenhower enforced the law when it came to the Little Rock 9. He did what was right. He also knew people woud still do stupid things. That fact still holds true today. We know what is right and what is wrong, but human nature often gets in the way of what is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,423 times
I haven't read the entire thread but most black people on the west coast moved here to the cities during world war 2 when there were ship-building jobs.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
I haven't read the entire thread but most black people on the west coast moved here to the cities during world war 2 when there were ship-building jobs.
Yes. places like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, Tacoma, Bremerton(WA), and even Portland. The ship uilding jobs is part of why Portland's black population increased during the war years. After WWII, many blacks were finding that there were few opportunities for them there, so some blacks went to other cities. Some went to Seattle from what I have heard.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:49 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 428,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
After WWII, many blacks were finding that there were few opportunities for them there, so some blacks went to other cities.
...helped along by the Vanport Flood, which destroyed the insta-city that had been built for WWII workers. 40-50% of them, it's estimated, were black.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:34 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
We saw many blacks in Portland when we were there. Some neighborhoods off MLK seemed to be almost entirely black. I think Portland is a lot more diverse than people give it credit for.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:52 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
We saw many blacks in Portland when we were there. Some neighborhoods off MLK seemed to be almost entirely black. I think Portland is a lot more diverse than people give it credit for.
I agree with you. It's just that North Portland is a fair way from the downtown area-southwest areas that people frequent and tourists visit.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I agree with you. It's just that North Portland is a fair way from the downtown area-southwest areas that people frequent and tourists visit.
We saw many different people downtown as well (black, Mexican, etc.) It is true that it wasn't diverse once you got outside of Portland, but the city itself was a lot more diverse than I was expecting.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
We saw many different people downtown as well (black, Mexican, etc.) It is true that it wasn't diverse once you got outside of Portland, but the city itself was a lot more diverse than I was expecting.
What was your favorite "thing" downtown?

Old 09-24-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
What was your favorite "thing" downtown?
"Thing"? You mean as far as the people? We thought there was a prevalent "Ned Flanders" way about many of the people there, lol.

Last edited by jread; 09-24-2008 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
"Thing"? You mean as far as the people? We thought there was a prevalent "Ned Flanders" way about many of the people there, lol.
Funny.

Actually, though, I used the oh-so generic "thing" to include any/all category (a shopping area, particular area, skyscraper). Makes it harder to pin-point the answer, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland