Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:36 PM

129 posts, read 561,905 times

Advertisements

This may save alot of heartache and hopeless transplants from wherever. For PDX residents, which markets are slowing down or disappearing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:02 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Person View Post
This may save alot of heartache and hopeless transplants from wherever. For PDX residents, which markets are slowing down or disappearing?
I've noticed that Portland is very heavily invested in the service industry business. This is not so bad when the economy is healthy ... but when the economy turns anemic, service industries are the first to cut their payrolls. Simply put, service industries rely on people having disposable income; when people have less (or, much less) disposable income than before, the service industry is vulnerable.

Another factor that I have noticed is that wages are frustratingly low in Oregon ... I would argue that they are artificially low. People are very much "in love" with Portland and refuse to leave, even in the face of living their lives making substandard pay. The same businesses that operate in Seattle pay their employees about 1/3 less in Portland than in Seattle. In Seattle, people are willing to leave their jobs because they can usually find another one (of comparable or higher pay) fairly quickly. In Portland, people are married to their jobs because they fear that they will be unable to find subsequent employment. As a result, the wages have no upward pressure because there is less turnover.

Oh, and another thing ... Portland has been marketed as a "lifestyle destination" across the country and the world. As a result, more people want to live in Portland than want to leave it. What does that mean for job seekers? It means that a posting for one job can get hundreds, even thousands of replies from people -- local and not -- in response. Employers have the benefit of having many to choose from in this market. I cannot stress enough the importance of getting an accurate assessment of the cutthroat competition for jobs in this area.

What makes this even worse is that you have college graduates, and even grad school graduates, competing for the same $9/hour job.

I would urge people to either move here with a job already in hand, or prepare themselves to work as they have never worked before to find employment. And even then, one has to wonder if it is even worth it. I'm seriously reconsidering my move (and I'm employed!) because the employment market in this city is ... bleak. Very bleak. And people need to hear that.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:21 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Excellent post, SeattlitefromNC, and very pin-point accurate! I applied for a job and spoke to the owner of the company...he was very frustrated that he got so many applications from all over the country! He was kind of at a loss as to how to pick and choose (very small company, highly specialized) which people to contact.

Take heed, job-seekers and movers, Seattllitefrom NC speaks the truth!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:05 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Person View Post
For PDX residents, which markets are slowing down or disappearing?
Down: Timber, paper mills, construction, mortgage, home goods and services, County government, education, automotive, retail, restaurants.

Growth is still good in medical. Farmers are getting good prices, but landscaping and horticulture don't look good, due to housing downturn.

High tech is in a holding pattern.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I would urge people to either move here with a job already in hand, or prepare themselves to work as they have never worked before to find employment. And even then, one has to wonder if it is even worth it. I'm seriously reconsidering my move (and I'm employed!) because the employment market in this city is ... bleak. Very bleak. And people need to hear that.
Brilliantly put. I am considering moving and I too have a job. But I have been laid off several jobs in the past because the companies closed their doors in Portland. The competition here is just too fierce and the employers take advantage of that. No matter how impeccable one's credentials; Masters, PHd, etc there are 100's of others whose resume is just as good. Employers can pick and choose. There are plenty of people already here who are looking for work after being laid off. And salaries are not very good. When I was job hunting a few years ago, everyone wanted my experience but at entry level salaries. I had put years into my field but that did not matter. No one was willing to pay for my knowledge. Which of course meant a big cut in pay.

People who are determined to move here have to accept the idea that unless they are very creative when it comes to making money or have a good job already promised, they will not be bombarded with offers.

My advice which I have said again and again is to have a big pile of money with you when you move here. Even if you get a job you will probably need it.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
I for one would like to know which cities/states have significantly better employment outlook than Oregon/Portland. Even better than repeating the mantras of low wages and scant opportunity in Oregon would be actual suggestions of alternatives.

H

Old 07-05-2008, 07:59 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,632 times
I've tried a few times to move to Portland over the last two years. I found nothing that paid over $9 an hour. With gas going up and rent going up in the city, wages really need to increase. I'd still like to move their, it's just the job thing that's holding me back. I'm making more here and the cost of living is much less.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I for one would like to know which cities/states have significantly better employment outlook than Oregon/Portland. Even better than repeating the mantras of low wages and scant opportunity in Oregon would be actual suggestions of alternatives.

H
But the point is people are asking about Oregon/Portland not other cities. Maybe it's better elsewhere maybe it isn't but that hasn't been the question. I haven't seen any posts where people have inquired about the job situation here and then asked for alternatives.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:30 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Without comparisons it makes it look like Portland has the worst economy or job options in the nation, which obviously isn't true. I'm curious how it compares to other locations as well (or at least places of similar size). I think it's constantly compared to close by (larger) cities such as SF and Seattle but not many other places.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:04 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But the point is people are asking about Oregon/Portland not other cities. Maybe it's better elsewhere maybe it isn't but that hasn't been the question. I haven't seen any posts where people have inquired about the job situation here and then asked for alternatives.
Excellent point, Minervah. For those of you who might be interested, this site was pretty easy to find. (I posted it in another thread). It offers a rough cost comparison between two cities of your very own choice. I found it to be quite a helpful tool.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: reword sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland