Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 AM

131 posts, read 277,825 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am looking to relocate to portland, but would like to initiate that transition by temporary employment as a travel nurse. The advantage is the company moving me, setting up temp housing and having the opportunity to become acclimated to the city, tour hospitals, look at apartments in person and figure out exactly where I want to be.

The problem is there are currently no temp jobs in Portland, but there is in Oregon City. I would work 7a-7:30p. I want to live in Portland.

My question is, is that a reasonable drive, or pain the butt and congested with traffic?? It seems I may beat traffic. And, what's the general feel of Oregon City? Clean and green like Portland? High crime or normal crime? And, does anyone have insight to the culture of the hospital?? What's the reputation there? Thanks for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
It's not too bad of a commute. Half an hour or so. Good news is, you're traveling against traffic. More people live in Oregon City and work in Portland than the reverse.

Oregon City is slightly lower socio-economically, so probably has a bit more crime associated with that. But it's by no means a crime-ridden place.

Can't speak to the hospital, though.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:45 PM

192 posts, read 454,491 times
I drive up and down I205 quite a bit to and from OHS. I live in West Linn. The trip takes 34 minutes without traffic and no more than 45 with heavy traffic. One bridge to Oregon City is still closed for renovation which caused some trouble with commuting for a while, but it's due to be opened again this fall.

Oregon City has a lot of historic homes. Some very charming areas. I would not mind living there. Some run-down areas, too. Brand new Safeway and shopping center. The layout is hard for me to navigate; I get lost every time I'm there.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
the lower part has a se feel to it and you have the falls.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 PM

478 posts, read 881,754 times
Where in Portland do you plan to live?

Others have spoken about the commute on the 205; the 99 isn't bad either. it takes me about 20 min to get to work in the morning from Milwaukie; 25 minutes coming home., You'd have to go a few miles farther.

You may want to consider living in Clackamas County if you're working in OC. The cost of living is cheaper than Portland, it's easier to find rentals (and the rents are cheaper) and there are some lovely areas (we just bought a home in Jennings Lodge.)

Old 06-11-2012, 10:04 PM

131 posts, read 277,825 times
Thank you for the input! I'm not sure what I'm going to do, may just conform again and take a full time position at OHSU. Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin'bones View Post
Thank you for the input! I'm not sure what I'm going to do, may just conform again and take a full time position at OHSU. Thanks again.
That may be your best bet. It's not written in stone that you would have to be there forever though, it's a lot easier to find work and housing once you are living here. And it will give you a chance to network in whatever type work you think you would like.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,664 times
Question Moving to Portland/Vancouver/McMinnville???

We are a family of 4 (two small children) looking to re-locate to the Portland area. I've applied for jobs in Portland, Vancouver and McMinnville. We would be looking for a safe neighborhood house (not apartment) with yard and family friendly. We would need reasonable rent though and are not making a ton of money - lower middle class. Mostly we'd like a good elementary school district.
If we live in Vancouver - what areas should we look?
If job is in Portland what areas should we look to live? (in Portland?around Portland? & where exactly)
If I get job in McMinville then where should we live? In McMinville or somewhere else? What neighborhood or part of town and what elementary school?

thank you so much. We don't know where to start other than applying for the jobs.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
What is "a reasonable rent?" That is a very subjective criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland