Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 03:40 AM

13 posts, read 41,131 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving next summer and we're starting to collect information. We originally thought we'd want to live in Garden Home but I think that may not work for us. Husband's office will be near NW 158th and Hwy 26 and we want more access to public transportation.

Does anyone have any PPS elementary school rec's? We're not looking for the "best" school necessarily, but a good school kwim. We'll be coming from Silicon Valley where schools are as competitive as the business environment.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
If you want schools with competitive and super involved parents try the inner west side schools such as Ainsworth, Bridlemile, Forest Park, and Chapman. I personally avoided Chapman because I felt there was too much emphasis on test scores for my own child, who needs more of a well rounded environment, more mellow environment, but many people love all four schools. I'm assuming you'll be on the west side judging on where his job is. I know Capital Hill Elementary is more of an average school but it seems to be a good school without the power parent element being in such full force. If you go to the PPS website you can read about the schools in terms of programs, special focus, test scores, etc. In the end we chose to lottery into a school that has a "good" rating rather than "excellent" but has a special focus that appealed to us based on our son's personality. To me that's the best part about PPS--the various options for transfer, though the lottery is getting tougher each year as more parents take advantage of it.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
For areas with very good public transit on the west side of Portland Metro it is hard to beat close in SW or any where in NW, Portland. You may want to get a Tri-met system map (much is available online) and consider where you will want to go by transit. Remember, if your kids play sports getting to games by transit is rarely practical. Kid athletic facility-wise Tualatin Parks and Rec District is hard to beat, check for their service area.

I, and my kids, attended Chapman and Lincoln. My daughter is now living in the Los Altos school district, her husband teaches at 'Tino. The Lincoln feeder schools and the Riverdale District have very involved parents with high expectations. They would be the closest match to the best, even private, schools in your area.

There are a lot of new schools in the area where your husband will be working. Assuming this is a transfer I suggest he ask colleagues with children slightly older than yours for recommendations. What you will miss here, that you have where you are, is the variety of foreign language classes available.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 07-09-2008 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 PM

Thanks so much for your detailed responses! We currently live in 'Tino and are not happy with the immense pressure our children are/will be under. Don't get me wrong, we love our school and teachers, but feel the expectations of k-3rd graders are often not developmentally appropriate....but I'll leave that for another day

This is a transfer initiated by us because we want to move to a lower COL area. Dh works in a group of only 2 (himself and his boss), so I don't know how many "company" people there are to give us guidance. We do have some friends spread out through the area (Sellwood Neighborhood, Beaverton, Cedar Mill, and Hillsboro), but they either have babies or grown children.

Again, thanks for your information! I look forward to hearing from others.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Ah yes, my SIL commented that teaching to the test was an issue at least in the middle schools. Our son spent several years in parochial schools because he didn't do well with the academic pressure in Lincoln feeder schools. Now you know the areas to avoid. Imagine what the parents/students in the schools in Asia must deal with...

Others with children in primary schools west of the hill will need to respond to do school specific stuff. Sellwood would be a tough commute for your husband. The park district I mentioned serves the greater Beaverton area: Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District

Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 PM

When we visited at Thanksgiving we drove by Tualatin Hills Park & Rec and was quite impressed. Ugh, I hate decision-making sometimes ;(

Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 PM

10 posts, read 31,732 times
Default Curious about your decision

We are coming from the Silicon Valley, too, and sounds like looking for similar school environment, though our daughter will be entering middle school next year. I'm curious about where you decided to settle and whether you're happy with your choice of schools. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,238 times
[SIZE=2]Good day, my family and i will be moving in june to beaverton, i have no idea what the elementary schools are like and would appreaciate it ver much if anyone could update me a little on them.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]thanks here is around where we will be moving to ..... hope this makes it easier[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]NW 158th Avenue[/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Beaverton[/SIZE][SIZE=2], Oregon 97006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]MBearano[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland