Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 10:06 PM

54 posts, read 244,620 times

Advertisements

I have read many positive opinions regarding oregon especially for portland. what advantages does it have that make people like it?

what kind of public transportation available in portland? is life affordable there? what kind of weather do you have?

I am searching for a state/city that would be a good start for a single business graduate (coming from Egypt).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 AM

42 posts, read 85,291 times
Wow! That is a huge question, and not one that I could answer in detail. We have great public transportation: Tri-Met serves a three county area of greater Portland. They have a great webpage that will give you a better idea. It allows you to plan trips and gives you exact times to expect either a bus, or light rail train to come along. I always use public transportation when going into downtown Portland. It's much easier than driving and then having to find a place to park a car.

Portland has a lot of different housing options. I, personally, live in Daybreak Co-housing. Our webpage is daybreakcohousing.org. It is somewhat like a condominium. I have my own apartment, but we also have a large common house with common kitchen, dining room, living room, family room, and laundry and storage. We've been having about two meals a week in the dining room. I know my neighbors and know that I have someone to help or just talk with at any time. Portland has a number of co-housing groups. Daybreak has new construction and is close to town, but there are others with other characteristics.

The reputation is that it rains a lot in Portland. That's true. But it has a mild climate. I have lived in Texas and California, and one thing I appreciate is that most of the year I enjoy being outside. We have some hot days, but usually very mild temperatures. We have a few summer insects, but nothing like the mosquitos or gnats of Texas. People walk a lot, and bicycling is very popular. We have bike lanes -- on the streets there are designated places for bicycles to ride. I live 2 miles from my work, and I ride my bicycle to work. Saves on gas and gets me some exercise. Portland is a great place to live.
Laura

Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaa1982 View Post
I have read many positive opinions regarding oregon especially for portland. what advantages does it have that make people like it?

what kind of public transportation available in portland? is life affordable there? what kind of weather do you have?
There are many, many excellent threads on these questions with lengthy responses if you scroll back a little bit through this forum. I strongly suggest doing so and bookmarking some for further reading. Lots of folks will likely respond to this one as well, but you'll find the most varied and useful information if you do a little searching too.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
oaa1982:

You might like to know about Portland is that we have Automobile Trailer's modified for serving food out a window of the trailer we call these 'food carts'. There are several of these food carts in what we call a Pod, and there are many Pods throughout the city area. Portland has one of the highest density of food carts for our population size, than any city in USA, right now.

One Food cart, in one Pod downtown serves Egyptian Food:
El Masry Egyptian Food Cart | Food Carts Portland

On the last day of August, 2010, I rode a bus by that place and the owners had upgraded the trailer. So must be doing good.

There are a couple of other Lebanese restaurants (in traditional buildings) in Portland, but few other Mid-East countries. I know of two grocery stores that cater to the Mid-East market, but again it is more Lebanese and maybe a touch of Istanbul. I think the small population in Portland has to do with our long winter with little sunshine and lots of drizzle rain. Something like London or Manchester, UK winters. Depressing.

Of course San Francisco and the SF bay region would have more Mediterranean sunshine and weather. Which is also why so many more people live there than Portland or Seattle. Also SF bay area has a greater international cosmopolitan diversity overall. Portland's international cosmopolitan is more in pockets of neighborhoods here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: