Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 13,290 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking of moving out of my state to a place where I have a better chance to make it in my field. I have experience with television/film production and writing/literature study from my time at college. I have a B.A. in English and a B.A. in Telecommunications.

I may get an M.A. in English with a Creative Writing concentration before I move, but I have to see how things go this Fall. I was going to move to D.C. this year to do an MFA in Film and Media, but I had to defer for a year for personal reasons.

I would like to work in media of some kind. I don't have any real world experience, besides what I did in school. I do have one short-story published, but that isn't much.

For the last two years, I have been substitute teaching and staying with my parents. I can't do that anymore. I would like to work in anything media related, and would work for a sort of low wage. But I would prefer to do something with creative writing or working in television. I am willing to do unpaid internships at maybe 10 - 15 hours per week with a full-time job on the side, or a full-time internship that is paid. I can probably live off $12 - $15 an hour depending on the rent costs. But if I could get some work in a related field full-time, that would be great.

I need to know if the Portland area is a good place to move for someone in my situation to get started in media production, and if I could find work with my background if things weren't working out in media production. I don't want to serve food or substitute teach again.

I also would like suggestions on where I should look to live. I would prefer to get to work in under 45 minutes. Although, I would like to be in an area that has a small city or a non-congested feeling.

I have lived in rural Michigan for most of my life, but spent four years near our capital city during college. I enjoyed city life a lot more, but we only have (according to Wiki) 454,044 people in the metro area of the capital. However, I was outside of the city in a smaller suburb town of the metro (approx. 46,525 people) during my stay.

For reference, the town I am currently living near has a population of 721 people. It is killing me inside. I actually have to drive 75 miles to watch an 'R' rated movie and do shopping in real department stores. Though, I do like to get out into nature every once in a while and would continue to do so once in Oregon. I would want to do some bicycling while living in Portland as well.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: