Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:29 AM

544 posts, read 1,468,730 times

Advertisements

Yea I hear Austin is just like Portland with a heavier blues scene and better BBQ food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 01:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,901,262 times
I'll take your word for it John but I don't imagine bicycles go down all that well in the state that invented oil and BBQ isn't all that good for you. Don't get me wrong, I've eaten my fair share of ribs, just saying is all...

Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,283,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'll take your word for it John but I don't imagine bicycles go down all that well in the state that invented oil
Invented oil? I'm pretty sure that's a natural resource that comes out of the ground

As for bicycles, ever heard of a guy named Lance Armstrong? There are bikes everywhere here

Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 AM

309 posts, read 899,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
You'd get the same thing in California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona and Texas (to name but a few states where "pride of place" borders on obnoxious).

If you want to find obnoxious "pride of place" check out Memphis, TN or New York City. I'm a New Yorker now living in Memphis. New Yorkers are almost as obnoxious as the French. New York is a big, crazy place with lots to do but its also crowded, dirty and hard to get simple things done.
Memphis is not that big, has an extremely large racial divide, stupid, corrupt politicians and school board and an arrogant mayor. It is 2008 and black people in Memphis (60% of the population) still make up too much of the lower economic class and are raised to live on welfare, food stamps and child support.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,901,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Invented oil? I'm pretty sure that's a natural resource...
Try to be a little less 'literal' and have some fun with this. Bicycles, yes, but do folks do their grocery shopping pulling cargo trailers behind their $1200 Greg LeMond carbon graphite racing bikes?

H

Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM

544 posts, read 1,468,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi2007 View Post
If you want to find obnoxious "pride of place" check out Memphis, TN or New York City. I'm a New Yorker now living in Memphis. New Yorkers are almost as obnoxious as the French. New York is a big, crazy place with lots to do but its also crowded, dirty and hard to get simple things done.
Memphis is not that big, has an extremely large racial divide, stupid, corrupt politicians and school board and an arrogant mayor. It is 2008 and black people in Memphis (60% of the population) still make up too much of the lower economic class and are raised to live on welfare, food stamps and child support.
**** Memphis. I'd take Nashville if I had to pick.
I have heard very few good things about Memphis I will tell you from all those things you mentioned. Just the sounds of a city like that makes it all the more icky. A city with a popeyes on every block is not exactly appealing. I like Popeyes too but when their everywhere, you know its bad lol. NTM they got the grizzlies who can't win or Memphis U who choked in the final 4 lol. Some Portland residents say so much how Portland is like the bible belt of the NW but I didn't see it as that bad even.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,871 times
You put Colorado in the group of states that make fun of other people etc. Sorry, but you must not have lived here. I am a native of the mid-west (Mn.) lived in California for many many years and now live in the Denver area. I do not care for the altitude or the dry air sometimes, but the Co. people at least here, are the most welcoming and open-minded people I have ever met..You get people that are highly educated and people who are just open to other views. So at least for this area, you can't put them with any closed minded people. I might add that from my experience, people from the mid-west are just a bit touchy. So what if someone makes fun? Who cares? Jahnan

so what if

Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 PM

8,271 posts, read 13,373,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Well, I think it would have been different if I were a student. Back then I could see that the college was drawing in fresh attitudes for education, so I had hopes that "things" would change. I also know that Austin has grown a lot in other ways (it definitely did not have a big music scene there despite The Armadillo).

But it's a gorgeous place with the best climate, I think.
Funny, I read dozens of people complaining about Austin and its weather and tryng to get away from there...

I guess, when a person is unhappy wherever he/she is and wanting to 'get out', that place becomes a 'bad' place to live in and their destination becomes half-way heaven, at least until they move and come to their sense...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,283,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Funny, I read dozens of people complaining about Austin and its weather and tryng to get away from there...
The climate is the main reason I want to move out of Austin. I just can't take another summer of brutal heat.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 AM

8,271 posts, read 13,373,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
The climate is the main reason I want to move out of Austin. I just can't take another summer of brutal heat.
I am in the same dilemma with Phoenix. I love the Sun and the dry-ish air but 3+ months of blinding Sun and 100+ temperatures started to get to me.
I like being outdoors, especially Summer time but not in that type of heat.
The weather between October and June is, however, awesome which is why I am having hard time making up my mind about moving.

I don't mind the gloomy/gray skies but since I am a motorcycle rider and love to ride, many months of unpredictable rain could be something of a deal-breaker for me. I do enjoy riding in the cold, so 30 degree weather with wind and moisture, though not fun, didn't stop me back when I used to live in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland