Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,093 times

Advertisements

I moved from LA to Portland about 4 months ago. I think I agree with just about all the pros and cons listed here. Actually I'm relieved to find others who posted the same cons that I would. I considered myself somewhat liberal before I moved. But on my 2nd day here I was walking around the Pearl District looking for a place to eat lunch, when the activists started SCREAMING at me about saving polar bears...as if I hate polar bears or something! In LA, everyone leaves everyone alone. Not so much here.

I also get asked if people in Portland are friendly. I say no, not unless you're buying something from them. That kind of bugs me too, so I'm glad to see others are getting the same vibe.

Last edited by honeydays; 12-01-2008 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: posted too soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydays View Post
I moved from LA to Portland about 4 months ago. I think I agree with just about all the pros and cons listed here. Actually I'm relieved to find others who posted the same cons that I would. I considered myself somewhat liberal before I moved. But on my 2nd day here I was walking around the Pearl District looking for a place to eat lunch, when the activists started SCREAMING at me about saving polar bears...as if I hate polar bears or something! In LA, everyone leaves everyone alone. Not so much here.

I also get asked if people in Portland are friendly. I say no, not unless you're buying something from them. That kind of bugs me too, so I'm glad to see others are getting the same vibe.
We certainly do have more than our fair share of kooks here.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:

Same here, but mine was about how paper money isn't recyclable and metal money is...so using paper money is against the environment. I'm pretty sure paper money can be shredded into compost to grow plants....

I think a good number of people are, just the people on the streets fall in 3 categories. One are the crazies, the homeless/environmental nuts that want something from you to support them...where they have to hassle the person on the street because it's the only place they can't be kicked out. Second are the everyday people, trying to get from one place to the next without getting hassled. Third are the big groups, made up of group 2 where people are safe from group 1.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 PM

25 posts, read 78,744 times
Default Just how rainy is it?

My wife and I have Portland on our radar as a future potential home. We visited Portland over the Thanksgiving holiday. Part of out thought process was that by visiting in November we'd see Portland at its worst and perhaps it would dampen our spirits (and future plans). It didn't happen. It was overcast and there were a few drizzles, but it didn't deter us from having a great time walking the city.

A lot of discussion about Portland always seems to center around the rainfall. Frankly, I'm concerned, even though I grew up in the Willamette Valley. Most comments are broad generalizations, opinions, or emotional outbursts. To satisfy my own concerns, I looked for and found some data. Click on the link below to see detailed info about rainfall in various locations. Considering 53 years of data, Portland gets .1" of rainfall or more, on average, 151 days per year. That's roughly 5 months or 41% of the year. I understand that it doesn't account for days with less than .1" of rain, however, it is credible data to add to the discussion. Food for thought.

National - Average Days of Precipitation (http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/daysrain.html - broken link)

Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 428,005 times
Quote:
There's friendly, and then there's polite (orderly queues to board the bus, for instance).

I found plenty of the latter, not so much of the former.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysevencupcakes View Post
Hello,

My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating from Pittsburgh, PA to Portland,OR. Before we do so, we were hoping we could find out what people think of Portland. I was hoping people could give us five reasons to move to Portland and five reasons not to do so.

Thank you!!
Pros:
1. Kinda cool city.
2. Fair/wet weather.
3. Stuff to do.
4. Grreeeen.
5. No sales tax.

Cons:
1. Drivers: get ready for SLOW and DUMB and Subaru wagons.
2. Flaming Liberals.
3. Bums.
4. Cost of living.
5. Elitist bicyclist scum. Why on earth would you bicycle over a winding hilly road with no shoulders and 50ft ditch, with heavy truck traffic and that people in CARS routinely DIE on? Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!! "Because you should share the road..."

I apologize for my ranting. Well, no, I don't.

Last edited by Catroast; 12-04-2008 at 04:44 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 06:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catroast View Post
I apologize for my ranting. Well, no, I don't.
No need. It's a good list.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 AM

536 posts, read 2,154,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catroast View Post
Pros:

Cons:
1. Drivers: get ready for SLOW and DUMB and Subaru wagons.

THANK YOU! I knew I wasn't the only one that noticed that, slow drivers in general.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
THANK YOU! I knew I wasn't the only one that noticed that, slow drivers in general.
I noticed many people don't seem to give a damn about their car around here...I can see insurance is cheap but I swear people do things that make me cringe.

I work with several people who every day bumps their bumper (painted plastic) against the wall of the parking garage to make sure he's in enough (scrapes the heck out of it), people cut so close to each other I'm not even driving and makes me nervous, people park in places I thought was impossible.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM

152 posts, read 335,316 times
I think there are pros and cons to living in any city. My husband and I moved here from Philadelphia a year ago. I am from Philly and he grew up near Seattle.

To me, Portland has a lot of PROS: close to the coast and mountains, numerous opportunities to indulge in outdoor activities, lots of cool places to eat, a ton of farmer's markets ALL over (if you're into that), so many things to do really any time of the year, not just summer. It's a reasonably sized city and not too overwhelming.

The biggest CON is probably the overcast weather, (which doesn't really bother me) and the various weirdos that you may come into contact with. I used to regularly take public transportation in Philly, and I haven't even come close to coming in contact with the number of wack jobs my husband sees on the MAX, LOL. Also, Portland is pretty liberal, too, which may bother some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland