U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 AM
 
3 posts, read 61,027 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

I just got entrapped into a photo radar speeding ticket for 11 miles over in a commercial area where the speed limit for one block is 25 mph. Should I ignore it, or fight it? According to the law, the city is 1. not allowed to post these in any thing but residential areas, and 2. is required to post a warning sign that says "photo radar", and 3 has a sign up showing the cars speed prior to the camera.

None of these were present when I got this ticket. When I noticed the flash I went back and looked. In fact the camera truck was posted right underneath a speed sign that allowed for the speed I was accused of going. My ticket was for 36 in a 25, with the camera just a few feet past where the 35mph sign was posted.

This is a bunch of BS. I feel my privacy has been invaded, in that they took a picture of me in the inside of my car without my permission. Yes, I agree, if I am using my car to break a law, they have the right to take a picture of my license plate. But how in the name of the constitution of a free society can they get away with photographing you inside your own car without a search warrant?

No attorney will take this, however, because there's no money in it. How do you fight something like this? If I ignore it, will I get served? The speeding ticket by the way says the officer "served" me. But I wasn't served, I got it in the mail.
Regular mail, not even certified.

It's not really the money so much as my driving record, and the fact that I feel I've been violated!

I am so sick of the city of portland, and Oregon and it's politics. I've been here all my life (over 40 years) and have loved this city until recently.This photo radar scam is nothing more than an attempt to scam people out of money. They say all the money they get from this program goes to pay for the program. I call BS on that one!

I'm the type of person who's always done the right thing. I pay my obligations. I have high morals. Anybody can make a mistake. But now I'll have to pay for the next 3 years for higher insurance premiums not to mention the cost of this ticket for something so trivial, and unfair!

Any feedback or advice?

 
Old 09-16-2008, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
8,014 posts, read 7,857,131 times
Reputation: 17843
Are you given the option of either paying it via mail, or in-person in court? Reason I ask, is that in Beaverton, if you choose to pay it in court, the fine is reduced. I don't know why this makes a difference, other than giving the judge a chance to wag his finger at you in warning.

I agree with your opinions. The wholel concept has gotten way out of hand.
 
Old 09-16-2008, 02:14 AM
 
4,629 posts, read 6,262,836 times
Reputation: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by playday rider View Post
...According to the law, the city is 1. not allowed to post these in any thing but residential areas, and 2. is required to post a warning sign that says "photo radar", and 3 has a sign up showing the cars speed prior to the camera.

None of these were present when I got this ticket. When I noticed the flash I went back and looked. In fact the camera truck was posted right underneath a speed sign that allowed for the speed I was accused of going. My ticket was for 36 in a 25, with the camera just a few feet past where the 35mph sign was posted.
Sorry, I don't agree with it, but once you step outside of your house your privacy goes out the window.

DO NOT ignore the ticket. Fight it. Sounds like you have already done your homework, and IMO, have a good chance of beating this in court.
Request all the info the police have for training, all of their manuals, etc. There is a company in the southwest which have the contract for photo radar in this area. Demand those manuals, which the city must have on file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playday rider View Post
This photo radar scam is nothing more than an attempt to scam people out of money. They say all the money they get from this program goes to pay for the program. I call BS on that one!
Couldn't agree with you more, but it is what it is. You are fighting City Hall, and I believe their revenue for photo radar is pretty substantial.
 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
6,415 posts, read 5,700,633 times
Reputation: 5496
My recommendation is to not speed. It's an imminently simple way to avoid tickets.
 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
 
3 posts, read 61,027 times
Reputation: 22
Default Ignorant replies like this are not welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
My recommendation is to not speed. It's an imminently simple way to avoid tickets.
That was a stupid reply and misses the whole point of the post. Don't answer posts you don't understand.

I suppose if you were a cop, you'd have a camera in hand waiting for a reason to stick in someone's face only to try to prove a point to someone and to make a few bucks?

I suppose also, you'd have nothing better to do then to watch, and I mean WATCH good, decent people make a petty mistake and jump on him for it and have him pay for it time and time again in increased insurance premiums or whatever the case might be.

Speeding tickets are for people, or should be, that continually and neglectfully intentionally break the law putting other people life and limb in jeopardy, without consideration for others.

Like that idiot on that ninja motorcycle today that cursed out a flagger, telling him to "f" off, and then running down a fellow flagger, probably injuring her for life before taking off. I haven't had a ticket of any kind for 17 years, and now because of this, after it being my 2nd "trap" in less than a year, by nearly the same deceptive methods by portland police, both minor tickets 11 over I am going to get screwed the next time my insurance company checks my record, and be stuck with this for the next 3 years! And apparently there's not a damn thing I can do about it. Again, Oregon (portland and multnomah county particularly) politics has gotten so bad - I think I'm ready for a change.

Now, are these PHOTO RADAR CRAP TRAPS for me? or that jerk on the Ninja?

Last edited by playday rider; 09-16-2008 at 08:03 PM..
 
Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 PM
 
532 posts, read 615,108 times
Reputation: 604
Hello, playday rider,

I am responding from another state, but having just encountered this today, here is my $.02.

I think there is quite a potential difference from running red lights to the circumstances of speeding. IMO the red light running puts people in danger. Speeding? My spouse's ticket was "enforced" at 7 am on a Saturday morning when he was on his way to a volunteer commitment. On the video, his car was seen, with other cars passing. He requested a hearing and conveyed this. He was told by the hearing officer "we got them all". OK, maybe, but the public outcry has had the fine for these infractions raised, reduced, eliminated, raised again, now reduced again.

I do not know what the equivalent would be in your area, but here it was an "expressway" with very little traffic at that time.

OK, that's my rant. My advice would be to prolong it as long as you can without increasing your fine. BTW, the "findings of fact" which I have in hard copy is about $50.00 less than what the online "pay your fine now" site shows.
 
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
 
Location: San Diego
17,420 posts, read 14,051,262 times
Reputation: 6184
Quote:
Originally Posted by playday rider View Post
That was a stupid reply and misses the whole point of the post. Don't answer posts you don't understand.

I suppose if you were a cop, you'd have a camera in hand waiting for a reason to stick in someone's face only to try to prove a point to someone and to make a few bucks?

I suppose also, you'd have nothing better to do then to watch, and I mean WATCH good, decent people make a petty mistake and jump on him for it and have him pay for it time and time again in increased insurance premiums or whatever the case might be.

Speeding tickets are for people, or should be, that continually and neglectfully intentionally break the law putting other people life and limb in jeopardy, without consideration for others.

Like that idiot on that ninja motorcycle today that cursed out a flagger, telling him to "f" off, and then running down a fellow flagger, probably injuring her for life before taking off. I haven't had a ticket of any kind for 17 years, and now because of this, after it being my 2nd "trap" in less than a year, by nearly the same deceptive methods by portland police, both minor tickets 11 over I am going to get screwed the next time my insurance company checks my record, and be stuck with this for the next 3 years! And apparently there's not a damn thing I can do about it. Again, Oregon (portland and multnomah county particularly) politics has gotten so bad - I think I'm ready for a change.

Now, are these PHOTO RADAR CRAP TRAPS for me? or that jerk on the Ninja?
They are for people breaking the speed limit law. Slow down and you have no worries. Any other "law" you have a hard on about? I speed quite a lot, if I get caught I know it's my fault and I deserve the ticket. There is no gray area with speeding. Either slow down or pay the ticket.
 
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW / CO / SA TX / Thailand
11,270 posts, read 18,932,579 times
Reputation: 8137
Quote:
Originally Posted by playday rider View Post
That was a stupid reply ... - I think I'm ready for a change.
yep... pay it on your way out of town.

I have seen the cameras placed in Commercial zones in Portland for over 5 yrs, quite often out past the expo center. I just got nabbed in a rental car in another state, and they even sent the wrong citation (red Light instead of speeding) and picture of someone else the day after I left town. (no postings, no warnings of Photo Radar). It was $60 and I knew I was speeding and they took my picture, so... I paid it rather than fight and risk additional costs. My first MV picture was a 'red-light' camera in Singapore in 1989. I was having enough trouble driving on the other side of the road and watching those crazy turns where you might be facing 6 lanes of oncoming traffic I paid that too, rather than get 'caned'
 
Old 09-17-2008, 02:39 AM
 
3 posts, read 61,027 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
yep... pay it on your way out of town.

I have seen the cameras placed in Commercial zones in Portland for over 5 yrs, quite often out past the expo center. I just got nabbed in a rental car in another state, and they even sent the wrong citation (red Light instead of speeding) and picture of someone else the day after I left town. (no postings, no warnings of Photo Radar). It was $60 and I knew I was speeding and they took my picture, so... I paid it rather than fight and risk additional costs. My first MV picture was a 'red-light' camera in Singapore in 1989. I was having enough trouble driving on the other side of the road and watching those crazy turns where you might be facing 6 lanes of oncoming traffic I paid that too, rather than get 'caned'
You're just a mixed up sort, aren't you? And leaving town would have nothing to do with my decision to pay or not.

Again, not really the point of my post.
 
Old 09-17-2008, 04:48 PM
 
4,629 posts, read 6,262,836 times
Reputation: 4116
Who would've known that this is not your first ticket? And why such anger towards these completely non-threatening posts? That's a rhetorical question.

What exactly was the point of your post, anyway? Another rhetorical question. Looks like you got the responses you asked for...feedback and advice.

Heed my advice! Do not ignore the ticket. FIGHT IT!!! Why should they be picking on you, after all, only bad people should get tickets. Definitely, court is the place you should go. And remember to bring along that level-headed approach you've so far shown towards non-sympathetic opinions...judges love a good, contemptuous verbal thrashing now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top