U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,081,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondeera View Post
And, yes, I know Gresham is the boonies, but that's my family - rednecky and loveable.
Greenhorn is the Boonies. Gresham is one of the larger suburbs of Portland with a population over 100k by itself.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM

347 posts, read 587,280 times
As an outsider looking in I have to say that hate is a strong word but it's clear that at least the people in the Portland forum have a bit of hostility towards outsiders in general but a bit more so towards Californians. It's understandable. You guys like where you live and you don't like it when others move in and change it.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
FSF

260 posts, read 263,353 times
You know...Oregonians may 'hate' Californians. Or they may like them. They may envy them or pity them. But my guess is that Californians don't spend even the tiniest fraction of comparable time thinking about Oregonians as Oregonians seem to dwell on Californians for one reason or another.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM

2,298 posts, read 4,068,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
You know...Oregonians may 'hate' Californians. Or they may like them. They may envy them or pity them. But my guess is that Californians don't spend even the tiniest fraction of comparable time thinking about Oregonians as Oregonians seem to dwell on Californians for one reason or another.
That's because one Oregonian, in a sea of Californians, makes much less of a wave than one Californian in a pond of Oregonians.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,029,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
From what I have observed, it's more people from outside of Oregon who are obsessed with asking Oregonians the question "Do people from Oregon hate people from California?" I never hear my fellow Oregonians spending even the tiniest fraction of time thinking of Californians until someone ask them "Why do Oregonians hate Californians?"

Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM

8,001 posts, read 15,275,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
... ... I never hear my fellow Oregonians spending even the tiniest fraction of time thinking of Californians until someone ask them "Why do Oregonians hate Californians?"

I think you are listening to a select group of Oregonians. It is a common topic with those I know.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM

2,298 posts, read 4,068,471 times
Probably depends on where you live. If you're in Portland, it's just one more Californian in the mix. If you're in Roseburg (or maybe... Dallas? ) they are fewer and farther between.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:26 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,868,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I think you are listening to a select group of Oregonians. It is a common topic with those I know.
Seriously? I don't think I've ever discussed it ... with anyone.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,029,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Seriously? I don't think I've ever discussed it ... with anyone.
I haven't either, at least not recently. Way back a very long time ago when I first moved to Portland people mentioned that Californians bought property and raised the prices and all that but it's been decades since I heard anyone talk about them. My friends and I have more interesting things to discuss.

About the only out of towners I occasionally hear about nowadays is how bad the drivers from Washington are when I am out driving with one of my friends and see spots a Washington plate.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 902 times
It's pretty absurd, actually. I am a Californian and have spent a lot of money in Oregon fishing and hunting. Somehow my guides never have a problem taking my money. If every Californian decided to completely boycott Oregon, I bet they'd change their tune.

Unfortunate story, my in-laws (retired school teachers, from a modest farming community) were towing their trailer to Washington and were insulted and harassed twice while in Oregon, and they were told it was because they had Cali plates. Harassing an old couple? Are you serious? At one point they actually feared for their safety and had to leave before they were even able to get gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or