Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:16 AM

33 posts, read 309,682 times

Advertisements

Hi, can someone shed some light on Income Restricted Apartments? A friend of mine told me about it because I'm planning to move to Portland for a job relocation. I don't have a high salary, but would like to live somewhere affordable with a nice environment. I will most likely stay in downtown Portland so I can take the MAX to the job because I won't be needing a car.

So anyone who knows or is currently living in one share with me some words on how to go about it(what is requires, what I need, etc.).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 11:50 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Check out HAP Welcome to the Housing Authority of Portland, Oregon

You can't be earning above a certain amount to qualify. They have housing all over the city including the Pearl District.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 AM

295 posts, read 659,211 times
There is a website, Housing Connections, that provides listings of rental housing available in Portland and it focuses on affordable housing. I would start searching there. Most of the income restricted apartments are run by either nonprofit housing agencies or private management companies and you need to contact each complex individually. Income restricted apartments are different from public housing in that they are privately run and your income can be higher to move in. However, the restrictions are still tight, such as no higher than 50% of the area's median income--for a single person that means no higher than $23,000 per year (I can't say those numbers are 100% right but it's close). Some places it may be 40% or 60%. There are a lot of apartments like these downtown, so if you qualify you may be in luck. But you'll have to show paperwork to prove you're qualified, possibly your bank account information and income tax returns.

The Housing Connections website also has a phone number if you need more help. You might also look into the Housing Authority of Portland at Welcome to the Housing Authority of Portland, Oregon.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:50 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
Look into the Sitka apartments in the Pearl. It's probably the nicest building you can find and far from what you'd expect from low income housing. I think they actually refer to it as workforce housing.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 AM

^^Yea I talked to someone yesterday from the Sitka apartments and they said that the waiting list is pretty long and that I would have to wait months to actually get a place.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
Well, put yourself on it anyway! You never know!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Absolutely do so. Sometimes folks on the wait list can't move when a unit becomes available.

There is HAP building downtown that is only for seniors, again a wait list I hear.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:03 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I can give you an example of of how high the rent can be on an income restricted apt in the Pearl District. $968 for a 2 bedroom, $500 Deposit. I have no idea what the income restrictions are, I just happened to see an advertisement for it this week. I thought it was rather high for someone on a limited income.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can give you an example of of how high the rent can be on an income restricted apt in the Pearl District. $968 for a 2 bedroom, $500 Deposit. I have no idea what the income restrictions are, I just happened to see an advertisement for it this week. I thought it was rather high for someone on a limited income.
Wow! That is high. My friend who lives in a HAP building in the Pearl used to live in a two bedroom when she shared it with her adult son. They both had to be working. After he moved out she had to move to a one bedroom. An adult alone not have a two bedroom apartment. I should ask her how much she pays for her place.

I applied for a single bedroom apartment in her building in 2002. I was earning $12.00 and hour and was told that was too much.

The two bedroom apartments across from me in the Hawthorne area go for $950 but they don't have the amenities of the Pearl apartments. Now my curiosity is sparked about the HAP housing. I think their website gives the formula for determining the maximum one can earn to live there.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:26 PM

I'm looking for a studio apartments just to kick things in. I'll be earning $9.50/hr and working about 29 or more hrs a week. Just trying to find something suitable and affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland