Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,181 times

Advertisements

Yes, it seems like City-Data.com boards are full of "Questions... moving" threads and I'm sorry to continue that fashion with this post.

I am going to graduate from UW-Madison in less than a year, and want to move to the West Coast. California is looking like a quixotic dream due to prices, and Seattle... I am trying to get OUT of depressing weather here in Wisconsin. Plus, it's not much less expensive than California is.

With that said, I have a few questions...

1 - Here in Madison, people are proposing a streetcar system like that in Portland. Most people are saying Portland's is wildly inefficient. Is this true?

2 - How is Portland State? I would be interesting in attending their Urban Planning school, as Portland has that Urban climate and awareness that I would really like to be apart of.

3 - How is the weather? I assume it can't be mild year round like San Francisco, or as rainy as Seattle. It never sees snow, right? I'd be really, really happy if I never saw snow ever again in my life after moving.

4 - Lastly, how is the singles scene? How is the population overall? From what I can tell, they are kind of like a lot of Madisonians or Berkeleyians. The type that consider themselves the least judgemental, least shallow people on Earth... but are actually incredibly judgemental, and incredibly shallow in a different way. They think they are enlightened and smart and "know the world," but they actually are just pretentious jackasses. I could be 100% wrong though.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 03:45 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
I may be a unique position to provide information- I lived in Portland after college before going to law school (upon graduation I lived in SF). So here is my opinion-

"3 - How is the weather? I assume it can't be mild year round like San Francisco, or as rainy as Seattle."

It is the same climate as Seattle. Some will claim it is different, but the difference is impercetible. It rains. A LOT. But the biggest problem with the weather isn't the rain amounts, it is the constant overcast skies for months on end. June is iffy- it can rain. In general the only months you can count on are Mid-July through Early October. The rest of the year is generally overcast and/or raining. That said, it is a really cool city and is near great outdoor activities.

"It never sees snow, right? I'd be really, really happy if I never saw snow ever again in my life after moving."

It doesn't snow very often, but it can snow- usually only once or twice a year and it is will stick for a day or too. Some years there is no snow. The city basically shuts down. People from places like Wisconsin make fun of Portland drivers when it snows, but it really is a problem b/c of the hills and the fact that it is just around freezing generally when it snows so it more like pure ice on the road.

"4 - Lastly, how is the singles scene?"

This is what I found lacking compared to SF or LA. It's not terrific and the women are generally, um, not super hot. I'm probably too superficial, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but GENERALLY the Portland women are not good looking. People in Portland are also more shy than you may be used to. I don't know if that's a result of the weather, culture or what. People are nice, but generally not as outgoing as most places.

"How is the population overall? From what I can tell, they are kind of like a lot of Madisonians or Berkeleyians. The type that consider themselves the least judgemental, least shallow people on Earth... but are actually incredibly judgemental, and incredibly shallow in a different way. They think they are enlightened and smart and "know the world," but they actually are just pretentious jackasses. I could be 100% wrong though"

Don't people like that exist everwhere? I think there is a decent mix of people, but as stated, people seem more "shy" or introverted comapred to other major metro areas in my opinion. The punk/street kids are probably the most annoying. They would yell at me and call me "yuppie scum" when I passed them on the street b/c I had the misfortune of having to work during the day. There are also a lot of lesbians- that doesn't bother me, but it seems like Portland is to Lesbians what SF is to gays.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post

"4 - Lastly, how is the singles scene?"

This is what I found lacking compared to SF or LA. It's not terrific and the women are generally, um, not super hot. I'm probably too superficial, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but GENERALLY the Portland women are not good looking...."
I find that specious, unless you don't like white women. If by "super hot" you mean extremely dolled-up vs. naturally appealing, you might have a point, though there are all kinds here in some measure. The level of shapeliness I see on a daily basis has not disappointed me.

The women do seem harder to reach than in CA, as if guarding some PNW secret that requires a key to open. I can't say this is a great place to actually meet women but they're plenty good looking overall.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
I don't think Portland is for you. It's not superficial enough. The weather isn't "perfect" enough (it's really no different than Seattle's). And I'm just afraid that the populace won't suit you. After all I'm afraid that they're probably just what you pre-judged them to be:

Quote:
the type that consider themselves the least judgemental, least shallow people on Earth... but are actually incredibly judgemental, and incredibly shallow in a different way. They think they are enlightened and smart and "know the world," but they actually are just pretentious jackasses.
I'd hate for you to be proved right.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Cool that Madison is getting a streetcar, it is a good city for something like that.

The streetcar in Portland is very limited right now, it is designed as a foundation for something bigger right now. The light rail, bus, and biking systems are much better.

Portland State's urban planning program is one of the best and Portland is a great model to learn urban planning in for many reasons, we have examples of good and bad urban planning throughout the metro. Though don't plan on staying in Portland once you have a degree in urban planning. There are lots of people in the program and not enough jobs to go around, but it could lead you to a great job. I would definitely suggest visiting the school and the program before applying, but I highly recommend the program.

If you are looking for always sunny, you won't like Portland, it is similar to Seattle, but doesn't have to deal with the fog Seattle gets, and in the summer Portland gets a little bit nicer. But year round it is fairly mild weather and lots of overcast and drizzly days.

I personally love the girls in Portland, tend to not wear much make up, tend to be active, lots of bike riding and drinking. But taste in girls is subjective, I like nerdy girls that are a little bit hipster. The down side is finding a girl that wants a committed relationship that is headed to marriage and having a kid, it took a number of girls to find my wife in Portland, but as a guy, it was a lot of fun dating a lot of crazy, fun girls over the years (and I do mean fun in the way you are probably thinking.)

Portland was a fun city to be a bachelor in, I spent so much time going out to bars and neighborhood strip clubs with buddies, eating cart food, and going out doing fun activities all the time that I feel like I really got to enjoy being single and young there.

Portland isn't for everyone, but it is a great city to be young and retired in while getting a degree in an adult person industry.

Oh and Portland on a sunny day is the best place to be, the view of the mountains and valleys is spectacular.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Born and raised in Madison. Glad to be out of there because; as you state, the pompousness of the "enlightened liberal" does get old.

Here in PDX, while the same crowd exists, because the town is bigger they do not seem as "in your face" as they do in Madison. Actually here, they can be viewed as entertainment.

Weather here is awesome. We will take drizzle and 40/50 over 10 and blustery cold any day. Summers are beautiful here. Sunny, low humidity and few mosquitoes (Wisconsin state bird)
I have two Engineers working for me from Seattle. They tell me weather in PDX is warmer and drier than up there. They like it here better. Easier lifestyle due to less traffic and lower COL.

Good luck with decisions.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Portland is chill. It's much bigger and there is more to do than there is in Madison.
Madison is actually pretty square. NPR liberal goody two shoes who secretly go to church and just want a normal semi-suburban family life. ZZzzzzz.
There are a lot more hipster lumberjack drunkards in PDX. There are also a lot more stauch yuppies. I'd say the singles scene is mostly bifurcated along those lines. Manic Pixie Dream Barista or Lulu Lemon Nike Marketing Account Executive. Some Suicide Girls too.

1. streetcar - slow but alright. seems to work, beats the bus
2. PDX state - not sure but Viking mascot is always cool
3. weather beats Madison hands down. better summer, FAR milder winter. unless you like the polar vortex upper midwest
4. singles scene - see above

Old 06-13-2014, 12:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I find that specious, unless you don't like white women. ... ...

If JakeDog has not found a date since 2007, I doubt your advice is gonna help. Did you mean "suspicious", and what does color have to do with his eight year old rant?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Whoops, I just noticed the date on this thread! hope jakedog and c.numb are lovin' madison or PDX or wherever they are.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
If JakeDog has not found a date since 2007, I doubt your advice is gonna help. Did you mean "suspicious", and what does color have to do with his eight year old rant?
Haha, I totally missed the date of the OP, well it was a fun conversation while it lasted. Always hate when threads like this get bumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: