Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM

154 posts, read 688,408 times

Advertisements

Is Cedar Mills considered part of Beaverton or part of Portland? Can anyone tell me what it is like? We would love safe and family-friendly but not crazy about the Beaverton descriptions ( I've read 'bland suburbia'). I'm not anti-suburbia, but would like a place with some culture, great parks, farmers markets, things of interest if possible. Lake Oswego soudns ok but hte prices are high and the pickings are slim so we're trying to find something else either in Portland or not too terribly far outside of it (within 20-30 minutes).

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
I used to live in Cedar Mill. It's nice, but definitely suburban. Think traditionals with attached garages, split levels, ranches. Many of the lots are larger than 10,000 sq. ft., which is considered pretty big here. It's quiet, green, and somewhat upscale in a low-key way. The zip code is city of Portland, but you pay Washington County taxes. The Beaverton school district is very good, especially West Tualatin View. The Max station is down near the 26, so it's easy to get into the city if you want to. There's an excellent Parks and Recreation department. Altogether, I think it's ideal for families, especially because there are so many employers nearby.

Too things: it's quite hilly! If you want a flat walking experience, you won't like it. Second, Beaverton is far more "ethnic" than most people realize. There are more than a hundred languages spoken by the kids in the local school district. There's a particularly prominent South Indian population, who are big in the high tech industries, such as Intel. I suspect the people who think it's bland are dyed in the wool city people.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:19 PM

154 posts, read 688,408 times
thanks scone - very informative, I appreciate it.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
The Beaverton farmer's market in the summer is pretty incredible IMO. Parks in Beaverton are really good. Cedar Mills has a desirable location since it's near Portland and 26 (and 217). In addition to the houses mentioned above, there are also a substantial number of much smaller properties (houses <1200 sq ft). For me those are too small for "family living" but not for others.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM

12 posts, read 44,835 times
My wife and I live in Cedar Hills. We love it. Most of the area was developed in the 50's..so, big lots, hardwood floors, brick fireplaces, and huge grown in vegetation. Close to freeway access. About a 8 min drive into downtown. Great shopping, tons of parks (Commonwealth park is awesome!), lots of walking neighborhoods, great schools, Washington county taxes. You can't really go wrong in my opinion.

For search criteria use zip codes 97005 and 97225.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 9,367 times
We just moved into one of the many Cedar Mill apartment complexes. They are affordable and it's close to the city. This area has nice walkable sidewalks so I can get to the store and back without having to drive. Yesterday I took the Trimet into town without too much hassle, just downloaded the ticket app.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
I used to live in Cedar Mill. It's nice, but definitely suburban. Think traditionals with attached garages, split levels, ranches. Many of the lots are larger than 10,000 sq. ft., which is considered pretty big here. It's quiet, green, and somewhat upscale in a low-key way. The zip code is city of Portland, but you pay Washington County taxes. The Beaverton school district is very good, especially West Tualatin View. The Max station is down near the 26, so it's easy to get into the city if you want to. There's an excellent Parks and Recreation department. Altogether, I think it's ideal for families, especially because there are so many employers nearby.

Too things: it's quite hilly! If you want a flat walking experience, you won't like it. Second, Beaverton is far more "ethnic" than most people realize. There are more than a hundred languages spoken by the kids in the local school district. There's a particularly prominent South Indian population, who are big in the high tech industries, such as Intel. I suspect the people who think it's bland are dyed in the wool city people.
Great description! My family is multi-racial and multi ethnic and we stand out in inner Portland neighborhoods. Not in Beaverton. Beaverton has much more diversity and that is a huge plus in my book. The school district in Beaverton is highly regarded by educators I have spoken to in Portland. There is a farmers market in the central part of Beaverton, Bridgeport Village and Washington Square Mall, a Progress Ridge are all nice for shopping. Cedar Hills is very close to SW Portland. Beaverton is very underrated, IMO, by people who live in the Portland Metro.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Cedar Mill is not immune from crime. http://www.oregonlive.com/north-of-2...hael_brow.html This recent misidentification has put the community into national news.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 PM

416 posts, read 871,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytus View Post
My wife and I live in Cedar Hills. We love it. Most of the area was developed in the 50's..so, big lots, hardwood floors, brick fireplaces, and huge grown in vegetation. Close to freeway access. About a 8 min drive into downtown. Great shopping, tons of parks (Commonwealth park is awesome!), lots of walking neighborhoods, great schools, Washington county taxes. You can't really go wrong in my opinion.

For search criteria use zip codes 97005 and 97225.
Ditto to this.

I live right across the street from the Nike Global Campus and it's a wonderful area. Quiet, safe, and very nice. I couldn't be happier with having purchased here. The 26 can have a bit of traffic, but on my M-F commute to my office downtown, it's never more than 20 minutes or so.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:19 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
In addition to the zip codes mentioned, check out the 97229 Cedar Mill zip code located north of 26. We have a Portland address, but pay unincorporated lower WASHCO real estate taxes. We get services from both Portland and WASHCO. My neighborhood is fairly flat and very walkable. In addition to the larger Beaverton Farmer's market, there are smaller markets located by Sunset High and a Sunday market at Orenco Station. Washington County also has a great library system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland