Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,486 times

Advertisements

Which area costs less to live?
Portland vs Vancouver areas

Utilities (what is the avg cost per month For a average 3 bed 2 bath home)
Real estate taxes (I know WA has a tax when you purchase real estate)
Car taxes/registrations
Car gas average per gallon
Income taxes (WA doesn't have any?)
Sales Tax (is everything sales tax free in OR)

Thanks
Steve C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 06:23 AM

18 posts, read 77,296 times
Default best of both worlds

i have a friend who lives in vancouver,wa as you said no state income tax,he shops in portland,no sales tax.they are both pretty crowded now.i worked construction up in mount vernon,wa used to be a nice little town.cant say what it's like now.do a search for cost of living calculator,you just put in 100k for income and put in where you are living now and where you want to live check the c.o.l. and it tells you what you will have to earn ,plus or minus,to have the same standard of living.by using 100k the difference is also the percentage above or below where your at now.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:49 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
Which area costs less to live?
Vancouver is by far less expensive than Portland. Just look at the home prices and you'll see a HUGE disparity.

Quote:
Utilities (what is the avg cost per month For a average 3 bed 2 bath home)
There's really no such thing as "average". There could possibly be a huge difference between utility bills between a 1400sf 3bed/2bath built in the 40's and a 2500sf 3bed/2bath built in the last five years.

Quote:
Real estate taxes (I know WA has a tax when you purchase real estate)
Oregon also has property taxes. That's how they fund most of their public education and its an absolute mess. They passed a ballot measure several years ago that limited the amount property taxes could increase from one year to the next. That, in turn, drastically limited the amount of funding for schools. They are constantly closing schools for lack of funding.

If you're planning on eventually having kids, I'd steer clear from Oregon until they fix their public education system.

Quote:
Car taxes/registrations
Comparable...now. There used to be a HUGE difference, but WA passed laws to limit the car license registration fees. They used to be based on the value of the vehicles. (Yikes! ) However, you still have to pay sales tax on the price of your vehicle, which can also get expensive.

Quote:
Car gas average per gallon
I'm assuming you mean cost of gas/gallon. Depends on the area of town in each city, but usually fairly comparable. (In my experiences working in Portland and living in Vancouver, lower prices were easier for me to find in WA.)

The only really major difference is that it is actually illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon. I've actually had friends call me from the gas station to come and help them because they didn't know how to work any of it.

Quote:
Income taxes (WA doesn't have any?)
Yep. WA doesn't have an income tax. But if you work in Oregon, you pay their income tax, regardless where you live. The Oregon income tax isn't really that big of a deal, and depending on your income and deductions, you may get quite a bit of it returned. (I always ended up getting anywhere from 75%-80% back.)

Quote:
Sales Tax (is everything sales tax free in OR)
Yes, everything in Oregon is sales tax free. In Washington you pay sales tax on every purchase, except for food items from the grocery stores.

When we lived in the NW, I lived in WA but occasionally worked in Oregon. The wages in Portland are usually higher than those in WA. But living in WA is usually SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.

If you elect to live in WA and work in OR, be forewarned that traffic into Portland can become nasty. (By nasty, I mean that you won't be able to go the speed limit and may occasionally run into some stop-and-go traffic, depeding on your route.) But it's all relative. I'm currently in a suburb of Phoenix and Portland traffic seems tiny and inconsequential compared to this area. (BTW, traffic in AZ is stupidly bad.)

Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 PM

118 posts, read 419,008 times
Default Consider this

On the WA side of the river you have:
1. most likely better schools
2. cheaper housing
3. no income tax

On the OR side of the river you have:
1. more inclusion into the Metro area and Oregon region
2. no need to cross a river to not pay a sales tax
3. income tax

I could go on...either way I think they're both the same. Both in the NW, both liberal to moderate states, I don't think it matters that much. Everyone has their own opinions though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland