Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 PM

18 posts, read 73,685 times

Advertisements

You may be aware of Seattle's reputation for having on-the-surface friendly people, that beneath it all are cliquish and don't invite transplants into their circle of friends. I haven't felt the "Freeze," but my husband has. We moved here from Denver 5 years ago and are now seriously thinking about moving to Portland because he's so unhappy. I've heard Oregonians are much more friendly, but is that on the surface as well? Are transplants welcomed or scorned? (BTW, if we move, we're hoping to live in the Sellwood or Mt. Tabor areas.) Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Don't want my husband to be miserable after another move...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:04 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,021,446 times
Only if you think for yourself and aren't politically correct.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Only if you think for yourself and aren't politically correct.
Perfect answer and SO correct

There is actually some difference between Seattle and Portland, but it really depends on your circle. Kinda like coffee and 1Gb baud rate up there, and Granola (or micro brew) and a single source connection in PDX. OR can be very polarized in thought. There is significant animosity for those who are foolish enough to express a different viewpoint. Getting along, and being accepted is easier. Just don't think. The Corporate Public Broadcasting enterprise in OR even publishes it as their motto !! (they offer such 'unbiased' content )

BTW, I came to PNW from CO 26 yrs ago, (not Denver) so for a "friendly" fix, I visit CO (or NE, WY, SD, ND, MN, WI) a couple times / year. We've been invited into PNW homes a few times in 26 yrs, much different than a few times / week in other destinations.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:02 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,239,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Perfect answer and SO correct

We've been invited into PNW homes a few times in 26 yrs, much different than a few times / week in other destinations.
Yes, bobmulk's post was spot on.

Yes, for some reason, it seems I haven't set foot in as many homes in the PNW (and I've lived in both Portland and Seattle) as I have in other places I've lived. I noticed that, too, and agree with your observation.

I think that, professionally, Seattle might be better because companies and firms are bigger than they are in Portland, so there's more opportunity to meet non-locals who might be open-minded. After all, it is the hub city of the region. On a day-in, day-out and regular middle-class neighborhood level, I think Portland is probably more "user-friendly."

Old 11-09-2008, 07:39 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,481,360 times
As someone who's a native Oregonian, but has spent a lot of time in Seattle & Denver, the people in Portland are about the same. The only differences that I found were that Denver's people were maybe a bit more frindly under the surface and Porland's are more radical and intolerant of anyone that doesn't agree with them.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 9,255 times
Sorry to say but it's the same here. Your quality as a human being is measured againt a progressive politics yardstick. When you meet new people in Portland they will do a lot of passive and general questioning to try to determine your politics. If they deem you a middle-of-the-roader or God forbid a conservative you can forget it. Not only will they ignore you they will mock you behind your back. I live in Mt. Tabor, consider myself a centrist and have lots of neighbors who have never even spoken to me beyond "hi" because they can't figure out if I'm a liberal or not and won't have anything to do with anyone who isn't.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:01 PM

18 posts, read 73,685 times
Thanks for your thoughts...interesting because I've met several transplants from Oregon now living in the Seattle area who have told me how much friendlier it is in Oregon. Perhaps because they were born there? We're also considering Santa Rosa (an hour north of San Francisco)--we lived in the Bay Area in the late 80s early 90s and my husband loved it there. But with the exception of housing, it's more expensive than in the Seattle burbs. BTW, we are both from small towns in the Midwest so grew up around friendly people with strong work ethics. Yes, I know I'm stereotyping...

Old 11-09-2008, 11:23 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,239,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueblur View Post
If they deem you a middle-of-the-roader or God forbid a conservative you can forget it.

I live in Mt. Tabor, consider myself a centrist and have lots of neighbors who have never even spoken to me beyond "hi" because they can't figure out if I'm a liberal or not and won't have anything to do with anyone who isn't.
Sad...and packaged. I'm middle-of-the-road to conservative. I knew there were neighborhoods that made me gag - Hawthorne, for one. I felt reasonably comfortable in West Linn, Lake O., Cedar Hills and Wilsonville.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 AM

682 posts, read 1,570,721 times
All are welcome here in Hillsboro. Plenty of Obama signs in the neighborhood, a fair number of McCain signs too (it was more evenly split in 2004 FWIW), and we all seem to get along fine.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogaholic View Post
...We're also considering Santa Rosa (an hour north of San Francisco)--we lived in the Bay Area in the late 80s early 90s and my husband loved it there. ...
There you go... If he loved it, you have won a good part of the battle. Santa Rosa is quite nice if you have to live in CA (Too many people / cars for me, but.... must be ok for your DH) CA has some significant taxation / legislation issues, but OR is following close behind, and WA is falling into place also. Progressive 'left coast' will take on a whole new meaning in 5-10 yrs. Thanks to the needs of our 'obese' State Governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland