Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,117 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm from Scotland and i have booked my flights to come to Oregon in April next year. I have no reason for coming to Oregon other than it just looks like such a beautiful part of the world from what i have seen on TV, and also the fact that i would gladly - if legalised - propose marriage to all things Seafoody. And from what i gather the Pacific Northwest in general is second-to-none when it comes to that sort of culinary delight!..Anyway, I was just looking for folk to give me some good "insider" advice on what to do, who to speak to....what NOT to do and so on...I dont like being the typical tourist, so prefer absorbing myself in the local culture...But so far, all i have been able to find out is "dont use an umbrella as it will mark you as an OUTSIDER"...good advice, but nonetheless not quite as in-depth as i was hoping for :-)

Anyone looking to just talk about Oregon, or to give sound advice - you are more than welcome!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,866,849 times
Come on over and have a good time? Visit the Japanese Garden and watch them feed the Koi (but don't try to eat any). Time your trip to arrive during Dungeness Crab season. Seriously, don't over-think this. Tell us what (else) you like to do and maybe we can be more helpful.

H

Old 11-28-2008, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,038 times
Well I just wrote an entire reply with the most amazing advice for when you get here. I hit send and it gave me a YOU FAIL line. I don't know what happened but here is a short list.

Willamette Weekly
Talk to people and ask where to go
Breweries (too many to count)
Hiking Trails
Jakes for seafood
Look on Craigslist for Portland activities

Good luck

Old 11-29-2008, 05:37 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman79 View Post
Hi, i'm from Scotland and i have booked my flights to come to Oregon in April next year. I have no reason for coming to Oregon other than it just looks like such a beautiful part of the world from what i have seen on TV, and also the fact that i would gladly - if legalised - propose marriage to all things Seafoody. And from what i gather the Pacific Northwest in general is second-to-none when it comes to that sort of culinary delight!..Anyway, I was just looking for folk to give me some good "insider" advice on what to do, who to speak to....what NOT to do and so on...I dont like being the typical tourist, so prefer absorbing myself in the local culture...But so far, all i have been able to find out is "dont use an umbrella as it will mark you as an OUTSIDER"...good advice, but nonetheless not quite as in-depth as i was hoping for :-)

Anyone looking to just talk about Oregon, or to give sound advice - you are more than welcome!

Thanks
Chuck the stupid "no umbrella" advice. I was in NY a couple of months ago, got caught in a big downpour, and I was only one of about three people that I noticed without an umbrella or a hood (very obvious that they use them there). Since then I have learned to carry one here at home more often.

Portland really isn't that big of a tourist city, so you won't find blogs and material on the 'how-tos' for tourists like you do in other destinations. So I don't think you should worry about trying to blend in. Go as casual as you like ~ we're not known for dressing "well", believe me!

But if you carry a camera, DO strap it on so that it isn't ripped from you.

When you're here, try to visit the TriMet-Visitors bureau in Pioneer Courthouse Square, which is smackdab downtown. It is very well-stocked with information, and all the transit schedules, and the services clerks will be very helpful. Lots of souvenir merchandise, if it interests you.

While you're downtown, be sure to check out Powell's Bookstore. It's one of Portland's "own" that I'm particularly proud of. Great travel section, if you need it.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:03 PM

25 posts, read 65,701 times
I agree with the rejection of the 'no umbrella' advice. I always had an umbrella when I worked in downtown Portland years ago, and so did many others so I don't think it's a big deal unless things have drastically changed.

Nothing wrong with strapping your camera to yourself but I moved back to the NW after a few years in Washington, DC; the crime rate is fairly low in Portland compared to DC or most of the East coast cities and probably more akin to what you're used to.

In other words don't do anything stupid, take a few precautions as you would at home, don't invite some teen to steal your property and you'll be fine.

I heartily second Powell's bookstore. One of the great bookstores in America if not the World. It's a world in itself I think and by itself should be listed on a 'reasons to live in Portland' checklist.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:30 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,007,246 times
Recently, I noticed that there are some very tiny laptop computers. Are you planning to bring a laptop here so you can fine-tune your stay using wireless internet?

It's very accessible here.

In fact, I just found wireless internet in a Biker bar restaurant in the puny village of Orick, California, last week. By the way ... although it's decor is proliferated with skulls, the food is quite chef-like plus burgers.

Hawg Wild Bar, Orick California

My idea of the Pacific NW, includes far nothern California redwoods, Oregon and Washington.

I don't eat out in the Columbia River Gorge much, but hike and drive around there a lot. I'd enjoy seeing what food places in that area others recommend.

Personally, I explore in phases it's seems. For about 3 years, half or more of my short trips were at the north Oregon coast area.

Then following - the past 2 years - have been to the north California redwoods.

Next summer I'm going to be going to Mt. Hood, the Oregon Coast and a bunch of Oregon places. But plan to go to the Olympic National Park in Washington several times at year's end and into the following year.

The pics are the Portand Japanese Garden, the Columbia River Gorge near Portland, and Del Norte Titan redwood in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park of north California. In the river photo, the dark rock monolith in the distance is Beacon Rock, a short 45 minute hike up to the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Lone Scotsman travelling to Oregon in April - need good advice!-gorge2.jpg   Lone Scotsman travelling to Oregon in April - need good advice!-japanese.jpg   Lone Scotsman travelling to Oregon in April - need good advice!-jan_26-039.jpg  

Last edited by mdvaden; 11-30-2008 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM

13 posts, read 48,243 times
I'm sure someone has already said it before, but you HAVE TO go to the Columbia River Gorge. It's absolutely magnificent. If you can, visit Multnomah Falls as well as the Vista House. The view from the Vista House is amazing and Multnomah Falls is astonishing. Just Googling Columbia river Gorge and looking at the images it comes up with will tell you how amazing it is.
Other than that, try Powell's Books and if you can, hit up the Saturday Market.
There's a lot to see in Portland, just do some research on the different districts and the characteristics of the districts to kind of get an idea of where you want to visit in Portland proper.

Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,782 times
To begin with, dont worry about how you look in Portland, whether its tourist or what have you. Everyone in Portland and well Oregon will accept you for exactly who you are and what you are. If you want seafood go to Newport on the Oregon Coast and eat at Mo's chowder house. Its the best and rated so in the U.S., no matter what anyone says. Have their chowder in the sourdough bowl and have steamed clams on the side. It's on the bayfront in Newport and there are plenty of things to do there. Also, only those that dont have an umbrella, even in the sunshine in spring or autumn, are tourists. Keep one handy or just wear a light jacket, its your head. Stay at the Embarcadero hotel and crab off their docks. Also catch the local transportation bus into Waldport and Yachats and enjoy the sights there. Standing on the beach and feeling wind is what its about anyway. There is plenty to do in Portland Oregon as well. Search Portlandcitysearch.com and it will have plenty for you to do. But if you get the chance, please visit our deserts as well and the mountains. Mount Hood is breathtaking no matter what time of year. Search for rocks near Prineville and stand at the observatory in the Gorge. Your welcome to write back if you want. I hope you enjoy yourself when you are here!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,552 posts, read 57,460,499 times
do some serious searching on this and OR forum for 'day trips' 'road trips' 'vacation' "gorge Loop' "Mt Hood Loop" "Columbia Gorge hiking"

Ask locals for the best food, I found that necessary on the coast, and ask several till you get some continuity on suggestions.

There are lots of great itineraries;

In April don't miss Rhodie Gardens (by Reed College)
Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
http://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...nw-beauty.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/orego...ad-trip-2.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-feasible.html

Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,702,685 times
Things to do in Oregon:

Portland--

if you can buy clams at a market and take it to a kitchenette for some great clams.
Ditto Powell's Bookstore, the nation's largest used bookstore and more, with specialty shops.
If the weather is good or if you like the rain, get a bike and ride along the river. I think it's wonderful in any weather.
Find a coffee shop to hang out in. Portlanders spend a lot of time indoors and you just might someone to play a game of cards or whatever with.
Rent a car and drive up the Columbia River and also go up to the lodge at Mount Hood.
Take the freeway south of Portland to see the central valley and get off the freeway to see some real stuff. The City of Salem has a Scottish Club of some sort, look on their website.
Cut across to the coast and drive down the coast. My particular favs are Yachats and Coos Bay, simply because they are away from the crowds. Astoria is also supposed to be great, an old fishing port atmosphere.

Check flickr.com or look for other photos of Oregon and especially Portland on the web to get in the mood.

Have a wonderful time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland