Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times

Advertisements

Since SDgirlPDXBound and others moving here have asked about things to do while in Portland (in the Welcome to Portland sticky), I thought I'd start off with a few suggestions:

For starters try perusing these two sites. They may be of some help in narrowing down what you'd like to do and see.

insideportland.com
goseeportland.com (this also has reviews).

SDgirl, since you only have two weeks, try to get in a ride on the Portland Aerial Tram, it offers a great view of Mt. Hood, and goes up to Oregon Health & Sciences University which has spectacular views. Try a microbrew movie pub - there are several! Pittock Mansion is beautiful. Taka a trip to Mt. Hood if you're a boardhead, or just love mountains and snow.

Just a start!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,452 times
Porltand is more of a nature town IMO. Go hiking, out for some coffee, a book, or something along those lines. I would love to see the Japanese Zen garden though. Its supposed to be the #1 ranked outside of Japan.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 AM

16 posts, read 71,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Since SDgirlPDXBound and others moving here have asked about things to do while in Portland (in the Welcome to Portland sticky), I thought I'd start off with a few suggestions:

For starters try perusing these two sites. They may be of some help in narrowing down what you'd like to do and see.

insideportland.com

SDgirl, since you only have two weeks, try to get in a ride on the Portland Aerial Tram, it offers a great view of Mt. Hood, and goes up to Oregon Health & Sciences University which has spectacular views. Try a microbrew movie pub - there are several! Pittock Mansion is beautiful. Taka a trip to Mt. Hood if you're a boardhead, or just love mountains and snow.

Just a start!!

That sounds amazing! Yes, I only have 2 weeks before school starts up in portland. I cant tell you how excited i am about starting fresh in PDX. I recieved a message from a PDX local saying that i would have a hard time finding out any secret spots that relay the essence of portland since im NOT a local The thing is I'll be living here and sharing the air LOL i would have never decided to live anywhere had i not respected the area, the people, and the hidden treasures ! Im not going anywhere! <3333

'Thanks for all your info'
Pittock Mansion is beautiful. Taka a trip to Mt. Hood<---Sounds right up my alley. I feel like there is a huge story behind the Pittock Mansion!!!!! && Mt. Hood that has to be the best place to take scenic pictures....Im trying to get a list of place TO-GO before im up there because of the whole 2 week thing, everything else will just have to be seen and known in time

Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post

insideportland.com

Just a start!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
Porltand is more of a nature town IMO. Go hiking, out for some coffee, a book, or something along those lines. I would love to see the Japanese Zen garden though. Its supposed to be the #1 ranked outside of Japan.

Where is the zen garden located.....Do they mind if you meditate there?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 AM

109 posts, read 319,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDgirlPortlandBOUND View Post
Where is the zen garden located.....Do they mind if you meditate there?
Just google it to find where it is located, you can take the bus and train to get there from downtown. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you meditated, but when I went it was pretty busy- not the most relaxing/private atmosphere. Maybe go during the week early in the morning, or call and ask what the off hours are if you want to meditate.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly12103 View Post
Just google it to find where it is located, you can take the bus and train to get there from downtown. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you meditated, but when I went it was pretty busy- not the most relaxing/private atmosphere. Maybe go during the week early in the morning, or call and ask what the off hours are if you want to meditate.

Sounds lovely thanks lilly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland