U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 AM

15 posts, read 54,185 times

Advertisements

Where/is there a gay part of portland?? Where are the gay friendly neighborhoods in portland??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 AM

319 posts, read 667,254 times
Seems like a reasonable question.
I hope someone will answer you..... I am sure there are may people that would also like to know.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:13 AM

268 posts, read 845,241 times
Hey,
I thought I read somewhere around here that Hawthorne is considered an area where gays/lesbians have 'settled'.
I have a sister who is gay and I've been trying to get her and her partner to move to the Portland area after my husband and I relocate there this summer.
Anyone else know if I'm on the mark with Hawthorne????

Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 PM

943 posts, read 155,951 times
Hi, I will try to answer some of this, First of all I am not trying to be negative or rude to anyone in Portland, but I do say things as they are, I would want someone to give it to me, if I asked questions also. With that said, there is no real central core to the gay population here, the hawthorne is a area where gay people most likely spend time, and or live in the neighborhood, but I can't say the city really gives off the vibe as a gay mecca, like some people might want to give the impression, its a liberal city, but this is no san fran. There are several gay bars in the downtown area, and on the east side. a gay newspaper, and a number of organizations and groups that cater to different interest such as sports and politics, movie nights, that gay people can meet and get to know each other. Portland just got a gay community center last year, hopefully they can bring some sense of community to the gay population, because it seems many gay people keep to themselves here. So neighborhoods, I would say Hawthorne, perhaps Irvington, and Northwest Portland, would be areas gay people would live and socialize among many other groups of people from all walks of life. Portland as well as Oregon has a large Lesbian population, and they seem to have many organizations, and activities, I would recommend that you hook up with some college age gay guys and let them show you around, and perhaps involve you in some different organizations, where you can meet people and start your life here.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:17 PM

15 posts, read 54,185 times
Hawthorne district huh? I'll look around thanks! I'd like to be around gay people and in an area where the 'vibe' will be comfortable for my lifestyle. But overall regaurdless of which area in portland are the general public accepting of gay men?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:57 PM

943 posts, read 155,951 times
Yes in Portland itself, you should find it accepting of gay guys, however, like any where there will be some that will not be. Remember though Portland is a smaller of the big cities in this country, so very quickly you are out of it, and it gets very conservative very fast, In Portland you will be just fine though, you will see gay guys in many areas of the city.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 11,441 times
Default hawthorne? uh no.

This is in response to the question regarding the Hawthorne neighborhood. I want to stress that I have lived here for quite sometime and can shed some accurate light on the gay community here. Hawthorne is not the place to move to if you are gay. No offense to that specific street, but it is populated by homogeneous straight individuals. Obviously there is nothing wrong with that, but if you consider yourself gay then you might not find what you are looking for there. I disagree with the statement in regards to portland being a gay mecca. There is thriving gay scene here that any young person should take advantage of and would be excited to be a part of. What I have discovered in living here, is that gay males, tend to live in NW and the ladies tend to live in NE. That is not a sweeping generalization of the scene. Obviously gay communities are all over the city and do not pigeonhole themselves into one sector of the city. Other great gay cities are S.F., L.A., NY, Vancouver CA, Montreal, and Chicago. I hope that you find what you are looking for here as it is a great city with a lot of opportunities.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 PM

13,596 posts, read 10,666,963 times
I have lived in the Hawthorne area for nearly 20 years. In the apartment building across the street there are two Lesbian couples and one gay man. In the building next to mine there is a lesbian woman. In my area there have been trannies ( Our local Safeway has a trans-gendered check-out person) and cross-dressers. A few blocks in the other direction is a elderly gay man with whom I sometimes take the bus.

I bring this up to show the fact that there is a scattered gay community in the Hawthorne area throughout the neighborhood. I have never heard of anyone having any kind of problems arising from prejudice. Everyone seems to get along just fine. Hawthorne is a mix of all kinds of people. If you take a walk along the business area of Hawthorne any given Saturday you will see the gamut of every type of person imaginable.

Yes there are straight families here too but again if there is any type of clash amongst them I haven't heard of it.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 AM

7,090 posts, read 7,232,253 times
I haven't seen any issue of gay couples anywhere, there's a number at work and home who do as they will (just like everyone else). It's not much of an issue in Portland as far as I can tell.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 2,672,862 times
I don't think there are really gayttos in PDX; gay/straight are more integrated here than other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland