U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 13,277 times
Default Where to live with easiest commute to airport?

Hello, I'm considering moving to Portland (from Seattle). I would appreciate some suggestions as to areas to look to rent. I want to simplify and be as car-lite as possible. I would work at the portland airport. Where should I start looking so as to have the easiest commute to PDX airport? I'd love to be within walking distance to a MAX station and a grocery store. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 PM

10,790 posts, read 17,551,869 times
I would look for a place near the Gateway MAX station, that way you can choose the downtown rte or airport, (and soon, clackamas) from that station. Those routes are all fast. Once MAX gets on city streets (Interstate, Burnside east, Downtown) it is very slow.

There are lots of apartments near this station + a mall and good hospital a short bus ride away( 2 major groceries + bus station at Gateway)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-21-2008 at 08:53 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 13,277 times
Thanks!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:10 AM

714 posts, read 1,638,143 times
Hollywood's another option. Everything is walkable and there's a Max station.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 6,832,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I would look for a place near the Gateway MAX station, that way you can choose the downtown rte or airport, (and soon, clackamas) from that station. Those routes are all fast. Once MAX gets on city streets (Interstate, Burnside east, Downtown) it is very slow.

There are lots of apartments near this station + a mall and good hospital a short bus ride away( 2 major groceries + bus station at Gateway)

I second this advice.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:46 PM

10,790 posts, read 17,551,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
Hollywood's another option. Everything is walkable and there's a Max station.
And I'll second this, for and EZ commute + more complete 'community' feel. (Gateway is more of an 'apartment / transient' area, but probably cheaper and more available rentals, and may be fine for OP.) Hollywood may have some 'rooms for rent' in homes or above businesses, and you can catch an Airport Bound MAX on a 'fast' run. But there is much broader choice of entertainment / food options. The grocery would be a bit spendy (Trader Joe's), but complete and unique, and reasonable. Gateway has more 'bargain' groceries via Fred's and Winco, but the OP may not buy enough grocery volume to make it significant.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:01 PM

77 posts, read 190,011 times
I agree with the Hollywood neighborhood- fast commute, but not so dingy and scary as gateway. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc. Also, easy to get downtown- very central, yet not overdeveloped.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:30 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,299,356 times
What about Mt. Scott area? Gateway is gang infected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland