Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 02:44 PM

22 posts, read 110,590 times

Advertisements

Just had a job interview this morning for a big company in Portland, and it went really well. I have a couple of questions for the locals.

Mountain biking - where can I do it? I'm in Utah now, where mountains abound and there are trails everywhere. I don't mean where can I ride a paved mixed-use trail (otherwise known as a sidewalk), I mean nice singletrack, even if it's not up in a mountain.

Canoeing and Sea kayaking - where can I do that? If I go alone, I can't really go to the river if it's too hard to paddle back upstream to my car, since I won't have a shuttle car to bring me back up. Right there in Portland, are there any lakes or whatever where a guy can just pull up with a car and drop a canoe in the water and get some exercise, but still just go right back to his car where he started?

Where to live - I'll be coming with my wife and 3 small children. We'll just have to rent an apartment for a while before trying to buy a home. I'd love it to be safe, and super close to the light rail or something so I can sell my second car. I'll be working right downtown. I won't be rich, either - I can probably spend up to $1200 a month on a 3-bdrm, but I'd really, really like to keep it around or under $1000 a month. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:18 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,226 times
Re: mountain biking, there are (surprisingly) very few single-track trails in the immediately Portland area. Forest Park has lots of great trails, but they are for peds only. Mountain bikes are allowed on the fire roads within the park, however. The nearest decent single-track to me (located on the west side) is a trail around Hagg Lake, near Forest Grove. There are LOTS of MTB trails in the coast range and around Mt. Hood, but again, you gotta drive a ways to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: