U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:47 AM

16 posts, read 60,921 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used this site www.rental-data.com to search for rental homes? It charges a fee to view contact information, etc. for properties and I am hesitatant to pay without hearing any feedback first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 PM

5,696 posts, read 4,597,507 times
Well... I'll put it this way. I'd possibly give Rental Data a try if I found it at all difficult to find rental homes using other sources. As it is, without too much trouble I have always found more rental listings than I ever possibly could check out in person without spending a dime.

H

Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 AM

7,090 posts, read 7,232,253 times
I really don't like sites that charge upfront when you don't know what you are getting. I would check out the consumerist and the BBB too and see if anyone made any comments about the site (The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back or Start With Trust -- Start With BBB). If the company has a rating below a C- or has a good deal of unanswered complaints run for it.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM

13,596 posts, read 10,666,963 times
I kind of look at it this way. It's a landlord's market so why should any of them pay an agency to find tenants? I have a feeling that the worst of the worst sign up with these agencies when they can't get good tenants on their own. I would wonder about an agency that charged to find apartments for people. I wouldn't pay one.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,858 times
You may have heard by now. Saw a post with many reports of bait and switch, hidden fees, that it doesn't do a good job at what it says. Perhaps some of the properties aren't real? All kinds of negatives. Was thinking of trying myself. Glad for my intuition to look into legitimacy first.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:27 PM
CPF

45 posts, read 118,543 times
Rental-data are a known spammer on Craigslist.

I have had some luck with hotpads.com - they don't list phone numbers but do link to the websites of the property agencies.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:27 AM

84 posts, read 103,408 times
Rental-data sucks. All they do is collect rental info from craigslist, the newspaper, rent.com, etc. and then sell it to you. I fell for it once. Plus you can only perform one type of search when you first configure it. After that, if you want to change your search options you have to PAY extra. It's ridiculous. I complained to the company and no one wrote me back. NEVER AGAIN.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM

390 posts, read 541,572 times
If you are from out of state or don't want to look through all the sources yourself, rental-data.com are a good source. I don't like craigslist anymore, there are just to many scams. If they don't give your their telephone number on their ad or at least an address with time when you can see it, I believe it is a scam. Rental-data.com are just doing the work for you and of course they want to get paid for it!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:51 PM

35 posts, read 57,157 times
Just look at PadMapper.
Free and WAY better.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:02 PM

7,027 posts, read 7,897,853 times
One technique is to follow the links in a Craigslist ad to property managers, then bookmark the property management company. They are real companies with real vacant apartments/houses useful, if for no other reason, to see what property managers are asking. It is interesting that the Vista St. Clair, one of Portland's more sedate buildings, no longer lists rates on their website. I know they aren't full because I can see what appears to be vacant units, although they may be off the market for updating/painting etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland