Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Questions about the Portland area, looking for a fixer-upper, decent size lot, ranch property. How hard is to get a land loan when building a home in the county ?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM

9 posts, read 23,780 times

Advertisements

We are interested in knowing if there is such a thing as residential proprerty in or near LO? We'd like to build a home and ideally would like some property (an acre or so) but from what I've seen searching online no such thing exists in LO or anywhere near. We want to be part of the LO community and utilize LO schools and it looks like to get land elsewhere [not even sure where] a person would not get the LO schools, is this correct? I've also not seen any larger lots (like 1/2 acre or even .25 acre) available in LO. We are just trying to see what is available as we're very interested in relocating there. We'd even considered getting an old fixer-upper to remodel (or even tear down) on a larger lot, but from what I can tell (again, via Internet) these would all be in the "less than desirable" neighborhoods. Just thought I'd throw this out there in case any of you local folks could offer any insight as to options we might be missing. Thanks in advance for anything you might have to suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 PM

77 posts, read 301,085 times
You probably won't find an acre of buildable property inside the Urban Growth Boundary (UGB). Oregon has very strict land use laws which help to keep our state beautiful, but also makes density critical. I did see some 1/2 acre or so lots in LO, but not all of them had LO highschool. I'm not that familiar with the schooldistricts there, but I do know a great agent who works in LO that could help you!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 23,780 times
Wow, thank you so much, that explains a lot. I had not heard of the UGB so I am learning something here. Well, the hubby really wants a little land, and I really want a nice town but would love at least a decent sized lot so we were attempting to see if we could combine both! We both like the LO area, but it sounds like we'd have to settle for a smallish lot in order to stay in a nice neighborhood with the best schools--this is kind of what I thought. When the hubby kept saying we could just find property "out" farther, I tried to explain that I didn't think that would still put us with the schools in LO--it would be the schools for whatever town that was in and that sounds like it is the case.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie-o View Post
Wow, thank you so much, that explains a lot. I had not heard of the UGB so I am learning something here. Well, the hubby really wants a little land, and I really want a nice town but would love at least a decent sized lot so we were attempting to see if we could combine both! We both like the LO area, but it sounds like we'd have to settle for a smallish lot in order to stay in a nice neighborhood with the best schools--this is kind of what I thought. When the hubby kept saying we could just find property "out" farther, I tried to explain that I didn't think that would still put us with the schools in LO--it would be the schools for whatever town that was in and that sounds like it is the case.
If you are interested try the west-linn/wilsonville school district. DM me if you want more info, former resident, not a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: