Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times

Advertisements

First off..I'm sure you're all familiar with this question but..just how difficult would it be for a college aged person to get a job in Portland?

More importantly, where is a good place for a student to rent in the city, close to amenities and all that stuff. For no more than $1200/mo. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:47 PM

162 posts, read 513,181 times
Hoarfrost,

I think it depends how qualified you are. Do you have a bachelors degree and are going back for graduate school? What school will you be attending. I attend PSU and know they have a career department which helps students and graduates find jobs. If you are just looking for a low paying, student job then you shouldn't have a problem. Again, it all depends on how and for what you are qualified.

Not sure about cheap apartments, but I am sure others can be of great help to you.

Good luck on your quest.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2009 View Post
Hoarfrost,

I think it depends how qualified you are. Do you have a bachelors degree and are going back for graduate school? What school will you be attending. I attend PSU and know they have a career department which helps students and graduates find jobs. If you are just looking for a low paying, student job then you shouldn't have a problem. Again, it all depends on how and for what you are qualified.

Not sure about cheap apartments, but I am sure others can be of great help to you.

Good luck on your quest.
Thank you.

I'll be going out of high school to get my BA, in what I haven't decided yet. But yes, what I would need for now would be a low paying student job, just to help sustain myself.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Portland is a double edged sword. There are good job opportunities, but due to so many people wanting to live here there are a ton of qualified & over qualified people for those jobs.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
First off..I'm sure you're all familiar with this question but..just how difficult would it be for a college aged person to get a job in Portland?
Almost impossible. There have been major layoffs, our unemployment is among the worst in the nation and OR has an anti-business climate.

Ph D's are happy the be Wal Mart greeters these days. Wait for the economy to improve.

There was a big job fair today and it turns out the only one doing real hiring was the Border Patrol. (relocation necessary)

Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 PM

162 posts, read 513,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Thank you.

I'll be going out of high school to get my BA, in what I haven't decided yet. But yes, what I would need for now would be a low paying student job, just to help sustain myself.
A low paying student job shouldn't be a problem. Depending on what university you are going to, there should be an abundance of jobs at the uni itself. Ask the career center, they will certainly help you.

Coming to Portland as a student is the way to go I think. That is what I did and haven't had any regrets after 1 year here. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
There should be a good amount of student jobs available at the university, since they give huge preferential hires to students, but outside of those jobs you're not going to have much luck anywhere. Things are just over full with applicants with few jobs in that section to take, and often they already have bachelors...or even more advanced degrees. After you are done with yours it should be a good deal better.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:39 PM

700 posts, read 2,595,555 times
1200 a month rent with a low paying just outta high school job??

May be a little rough in PDX, try Gresham, studio, 600 a month and a bus pass. Or some type of student housing?

Not trying to burst the bubble here, but PDX is in tough times now with employment, and you may be competing with skilled adults for those entry level positions.

Can it be done? Of course it can with planning and a willingness to sacrifice some comforts.
many people do a much harder road and come out fine. I do recommend saving as much cash as possible, because it will be hard to rock into town and get a position quickly as most people will hire long term locals above students in these tough times.

Why Portland? ( Dont get me wrong, I love PDX) There are other places in the US with better economies (not Michigan however), especially if you dont know exactly "What" your chosen field of study will be, perhaps better programs elsewhere? patience young jedi....

I do however wish you luck.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
Lots of people are looking for roommates, check out craigslist.com, I know it can suck having roommates but its nice to also not have to pay as much money in Rents. But if you want at 1BR or Studio the best is to come to Portland and drive around looking for for rent signs, checking local newspapers and online sites. It can be tedious but you can find some good deals if you look hard enough.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Hoarfrost, you say you are going to be a college student . . . I would definitely look into the student housing options.

For instance, if you would be attending Portland State, I would most definitely recommend their housing. It isn't actually dorms, but a collection of apartment buildings on/near campus that you have to be a student to live in. They are comparable to apartments in the area and slightly cheaper, plus, you are right downtown.

Hopefully things have changed slightly in the two years since I lived in Portland, but the downside to renting in the city proper is that most of the good buildings got converted into condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: