Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 PM

22 posts, read 80,589 times

Advertisements

DH just accepted a job offer and we'll be moving to the Portland area from the midwest this summer. We recently visited the Portland metro area to get a sense of the housing market (and contemplate whether to accept the offer). I'm still in sticker shock over the prices and am sorry about the fact that we'll never be able to afford a house as nice or large as the one we currently own. We don't currently plan to return to Portland until April to do more serious house hunting, but I've been searching for sale listings online. I'm trying to calculate exactly how much house we can afford. I can find the property tax info on the real estate listings, and I'd like to get an idea about the homeowners' insurance cost in the area. I see online quote sites but they all seem to require name/contact info and I'm not ready to give that out to any agency.

Could someone give me an idea the range we could expect to pay on a 2-story 3 or 4 bedroom with 2+ bath house, probably in the Tualatin or West Linn area that costs roughly between $275K to $400K (gulp)? (I know that is a huge price range, and one reason I'd like to get a better sense of all the additional costs that will be added to our monthly debt is to narrow down the price range.)

Do folks in the area typically pay for earthquake or flood coverage?

For comparison, right now we live in a 2500+ finished sq. ft. house with huge unfinished basement on a .25 acre lot that is assessed at roughly $260K and pay around $1000/yr in homeowners' insurance (which includes tornado coverage) and roughly $3500/yr in property taxes.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
A realtor in the area where you will be moving to would be able to help you with these questions. Good luck with your move!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Perhaps your current home insurer does business in Oregon. If that is the case ask for a name of their agent in this area and give a call.

Property tax info is available online. Pick a place that you think might be in your range on a realtor's web site (PM me for one that posts addresses) then look up the property taxes for that home on the Multnomah County website (the link escapes me but others I am sure will provide the info). The same should be available for Clackamas and Washington Counties. This should be used only for estimation purposes as there are a variety of special purpose taxing districts that could be applicable to a specific residence.

I don't know anyone who opts for earthquake insurance on a residence. It is very expensive and the deductibles are high. Have a home inspector include recommendations for earthquake upgrades when you get that far on a house. The most frequent need is to tie the house down to the foundation.

Flood insurance is a good idea because water damage can occur for events other than raising rivers

Maybe because my husband is a retired architect and my father was a civil engineer, I strongly recommend you have a geologist look at your building site. Slides and the like weren't a concern in the 'good old days' but with all the infill development, and the cities requiring homes to retain storm-water onsite, you should consider that risk. I know it is a long shot that you have to deal with that (a risk far lower than tornadoes in your home state) but you can't insure yourself against land slides.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 PM

22 posts, read 80,589 times
Thanks for the replies. I just discovered zillow.com and its home listing calculators include estimated tax and insurance! So that has been helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland