Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:49 PM

252 posts, read 958,715 times

Advertisements

Americans like to threaten to sue people more than they like to actually sue people. I think this holds doubly true for potheads, who have "follow through issues." Thus, I think she is just threatening you but will absolutely not follow through with it.

I'd break off contact with this person, because she sounds like a total erratic jerk. You're lucky that you didn't end up having to share a residence with someone so crazy. If things did go to court (very unlikely), it would be small claims court (very informal; nobody has lawyers), and you would just present your side of things.

In the email breaking off contact, I would express to the reason you will not be rooming with her: that she confessed to engaging in illegal activity in the shared residence and that you want to occupy a drug free living space. Call her bluff, and end the emotional and financial blackmail.

She would be a total fool to actually try to go to court given these circumstances. Good luck, and I'm sorry that you're having to deal with such an unreasonable person. Have fun in Portland too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 03:53 PM

252 posts, read 958,715 times
If this person keeps harassing you, you could also tell her that her financial demands may constitute extortion or blackmail and that you will be contacting the police if she continues to make such demands.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:58 PM

17 posts, read 49,292 times
Wow, she doesn't sound like much of a friend at all. I would tell her to **** off and go on my merry way. She has no case here.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Actually I had a similar experience. When I first moved to Portland back in the late 70's I was going to live with a friend of my sister's who had a lovely house in Beaverton.

Unbekownest to my sister or me her friend had become heavy-duty pot-head. She even grew it in the backyard! Besides the illegality of all of this I am very allergic to pot. It's like ragweed or scotch broom to me ACHOO!
So needless to say, I refused to go through with the deal an move in with her.

She was angry with me but I didn't really care. I could just see the neigbors getting angry with her and reporting those funny little plants in her backyard to the police and I didn't want to be anywhere around if and when it happened. I also didn't want to spend my days sneezing and wheezing. The deal was off.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:28 PM

92 posts, read 256,754 times
Ok, so if this does go to small claims court, I guess I don't have too much to worry about. I don't think I am going to email her again, as I did write her a letter which she received this morning stating that I consulted a lawyer who assures me I am solid legal ground, and reiterating the reasons I would not move in. Hopefully she is bluffing, but it will be interesting to see the repercussions on her if this does end up in court.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,138,860 times
Clinton--relax--this is not going to court. Forget it. Forget her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton167 View Post
Ok, so if this does go to small claims court, I guess I don't have too much to worry about. I don't think I am going to email her again, as I did write her a letter which she received this morning stating that I consulted a lawyer who assures me I am solid legal ground, and reiterating the reasons I would not move in. Hopefully she is bluffing, but it will be interesting to see the repercussions on her if this does end up in court.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:25 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,034,407 times
You can clean her clock if she goes after you, and her contribution would end up under the "Stupid People Awards" honestly.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
Actually, you're all misinformed. Fact is, you can admit to having smoked pot all you want. It's not a crime. Similarly, you can tell anyone you want that you intend to smoke a joint later. Also not a crime.

True, she probably won't sue you about it, but the idea that she's made admissions about drug use will somehow protect you by itself... yeah dude it doesn't matter. She shows up to court with an ounce in her pocket? well then she's got a problem. Some of you might remember Bill Clinton openly admitting to having smoked, and the governor of california all but admits he still does (there's plenty of videos out there of him doing it.)

Smoking it, and talking about smoking it mean absolutely nothing from a legal standpoint. Only production, transportation, distribution, or possession are illegal. And aside from that, no judge is going to order law enforcement to execute a search of a private residence in the hopes of finding a few joints, emails and voice messages or not. Get real.

The reality is that our judicial system gives a whole lot less of a **** about weed than you do. Which brings me to the point of noting that your decision making process is strange indeed. In this country when some babe tells you she smokes a lot of herb and she wants you to move in with her you do it, and enjoy the perks.

Welcome to America.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:52 PM

914 posts, read 4,438,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbhgw View Post
Smoking it, and talking about smoking it mean absolutely nothing from a legal standpoint. Only production, transportation, distribution, or possession are illegal. And aside from that, no judge is going to order law enforcement to execute a search of a private residence in the hopes of finding a few joints, emails and voice messages or not. Get real.
You seem to be missing the fact, however, that this information would be enough grounds for an eviction, if her landlord so chose, as she is in violation of her lease. I would be worried more about that than actually getting hit with some sort of possession charge. Not only is eviction expensive, it makes it renting again a bit of a headache, especially if you were evicted for doing something illegal.

Good luck Clinton167, although I don't think you are going to actually run into any trouble. Perhaps if you friend is so worried about money, she should stop wasting it on the wacky tobacky.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:48 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,034,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbhgw View Post
Actually, you're all misinformed. Fact is, you can admit to having smoked pot all you want. It's not a crime. Similarly, you can tell anyone you want that you intend to smoke a joint later. Also not a crime.

True, she probably won't sue you about it, but the idea that she's made admissions about drug use will somehow protect you by itself... yeah dude it doesn't matter. She shows up to court with an ounce in her pocket? well then she's got a problem. Some of you might remember Bill Clinton openly admitting to having smoked, and the governor of california all but admits he still does (there's plenty of videos out there of him doing it.)

The reality is that our judicial system gives a whole lot less of a **** about weed than you do. Which brings me to the point of noting that your decision making process is strange indeed. In this country when some babe tells you she smokes a lot of herb and she wants you to move in with her you do it, and enjoy the perks.

Welcome to America.

Just talking about it may not be grounds for conviction...though I've seen search warrants issued for less cause then that. Especially if she is, as it sounds, rather stupid and obstinate.

I don't think you are very well versed in the time and expense it takes to move to a new country, and the fact that the new roommate can ruin it if she happens to get caught. Nothing like many thousands of dollars wasted because your idiot roommate gets caught, then points to you and states "IT"S NOT MINE!". Assuming the finger pointing doesn't work, it's a huge headache to get bailed out of jail, find a new roommate...then looks terrible to the employer. Of course then you can consider addicts are usually notorious thieves to support their habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland